An expensive whoops

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Apparently foreign objects are really bad for the clutches. Make sure everything is tightened properly if u work on them yourself.

Primary sliding sheave
phone 003.jpg
Primary fixed sheave backside
phone 001.jpg
Secondary sheave
phone 004.jpg

Turns out that after cleaning, servicing and reinstalling my clutches, I must have forgotten to properly tighten one of the bolts on the bracket that goes over primary. After a few hundred kilometers, that one bolt managed to back out and start going round and round with the belt. What it didn't gouge it smashed and all that extra metal flying around is gonna cost me between 1-2 thousand depending on whether the internal clutch has any damages due to the nasty vibrations. Live and learn I guess. :(

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Guess my little top end problem and culvert collision aren't all that bad....

Look out clutches....I bet your next.....:eek::eek:

Chitty deal man.... like you said live & learn....

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Seeing as how i got to replace my clutches now, what atv wreckers are out there? I know of recycle in Stony Plain, but are there any others?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Seeing as how i got to replace my clutches now, what atv wreckers are out there? I know of recycle in Stony Plain, but are there any others?

Supreme marine and sled on Hwy 37, 1 mile east of the Hwy 2 overpass

Marine Madness also carries used parts. west end edmonton

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Royal Distrubating on line, might get a new one for the price of used.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could also give Challanger RV in Edmonton a call. They wreck a lot of machines for parts.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you get this bear fixed yet?
keep a look out on ebay . dose the rhino 700 clutches fit on the griz? a couple of companies are making clutches for a better top speed

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Not yet. Gonna cost 1g to get the parts for the primary and secondary. Haven't even looked at the wet clutch, kinda scared it will cost more. I know the rhino clutches will fit, but I think the way the roller cam and sheave itself are machned it will make me slower. I've heard that putting a grizzly clutch on a rhino makes them faster. Haven't been able to find anything yet on eBay or kijiji yet for 700. It's all 600 or 660. Even the wreckers I've called don't have much. Looks like I'll have to break down and stud up the ole XR400 and ride that for a while.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I still can't believe you wouldn't have heard that tumbling around in there.

I did hear a clanking noise on a couple occasions, but thought it was to do with the one way bearing on the wet clutch. I was also about 50 km back in the bush so it had to come out and i wasn't about to walk and towing wasn't an option, to much skeg.. I do have probably the most annoyingly loud ride i've ever heard, with that utility pipe and the way it is pointed at the rear bumber seems to magnify the sound. Tight wooded trails it feels like your ears are gonna bleed if u try to ride without a skid lid. So withthat in mind hearing anything is out of the question. It was the really bad vibrations that made me think to tear it down and find the root of the problem. Now i know :crying3:

prarie fire

Reaction score
does anyone make an after market clutch i would be checking them out before i spent that kind of money for a stock one . This may also be a place for locktite blue .

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
does anyone make an after market clutch i would be checking them out before i spent that kind of money for a stock one . This may also be a place for locktite blue .

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much in the atv world. Trinity makes a new sliding primary for the rhino which will fit. Supposed to give another 8 miles top end. Epi and Dalton only deal with springs and weights. Not sure about the guys who make sled clutches, haven't checked them out. The loctite may seem like a good idea but if I should need to change a belt, might be a problem. Perhaps the green would be better.

Top Bottom