Amsoil-Dominator vs Interceptor

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at the boat show and while talkin to the Amsoil rep at the booth he told me that interceptor was better oil for trail ridin than dominator cause the engine temo wouldn't get high enough for dominator to work properly. We run a stock 08M6 and a stock 10M8.Any thoughs as to how accurate this view is would be appreciated. Presently running Dominator in both sleds.
Thanks for any feedback in advance.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My amsoil guy told me to run interceptor unless you have a highly modified engine ( high compression )
the dominator is more of a stickier oil than the interceptor
intcerceptor is designed for everyday use In regular snowmobile applications the dominator is made for race engines

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy, an Amsoil dealer, says the same thing. Check the Amsoil website, all is explained there.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto to what the others have said. Run interceptor. Only major difference is the temperature ranges the oils perform best in. Dominator is for race application or modified motors (turbos etc), interceptor for pretty much all other general use. There website has a lot of good info on it and most distributors or reps can help you out with questions too.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interceptor is meant more for oil injection system and the dominator is for mixing applications. That's what I was told.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dominator doesn't have the rust inhibitors that interceptor has. It's meant more for modified engines that are torn down and rebuilt on a regular basis ie race engines. With that said I've had good results with interceptor but currently I run Shell synthetic.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Guess I am switching to Interceptor.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy recently switched to amsoil, sorry I dont know which one but here in mtns GSR sold him it so we trust it was the goodz eh?

he leaves a much bigger poo stain in the snow,
it blows more smoke,
it smells different.

compaired to opti-max, blue or wotever its called.

just saying the differance I've noticed

brown oil,
browner stain ... meh ...

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
brown oil,
browner stain ... meh ...

I too noticed this between running BRP full-synthetic and the Interceptor. I switched to the Amsoil as it was $10+/- cheaper than the BRP oil I was running and yeah, it's a bit smokier as well as it likes to leave a bit of a mess on the snow.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run Interceptor in my 08 800R and 07 800R c/w RK-Tek drop in kit for 2 years, I really like it and don't really agree with leaving more brown in the snow, with my 07 being jetted and the oil pump setup the amount of oil left in the snow from a hard romp on the throttle is little to none most of the time, you may want to check your oil pump adjustment as the only time I ever leave streaks is when there is an engine problem such as non functioning rave valve. Amount of carbon deposits left on raves valves is minimal which is nice and the smell isn't worse or better than doo oil. Get yourself an amsoil preferred customer account and save a lot of $, also amsoil has been warranty approved by manufacturers, they did a big write up about it.

I am a very happy amsoil customer and I run their products in all my power sports and vehicles.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the chemist that tested the oils if I remember right I switched away from that brand altogether cause it was braking down at low rpm and the three best where surprising And I think amsoil was high in detergents also not positive on this can't find a link but I did switch oils after reading it not saying right or wrong but was interesting long read

Found it

oil, i know i know!!! - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums.

Yep that was a long read..lol After reading 70pages I will not be running amsoil after this last gallon I have.

Interceptor is crap, Dominator is ok but there is better oil for the money you pay tho.:beer:

Top Bottom