Aluminum Cleaner

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The aluminum on my sled trailer is showing the weather and is not shinny anymore. Does anyone know of a cleaner that works to bring the shine back ?

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Mothers aluminum polish on the wheels of my Drag car. I polish by hand, so very dirty job!

Last edited:

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gord's Aluminium polish, great stuff. Check it out on line, I believe someone on this site is a dealer.:):)

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
Mother's metale polish or never dull... but i allways use an aluminum oxidizer and it comes out really nice but you need to work with the oxidizer though the last stuff i used it was kind of jell and it with in a black bottle windex kind with a crome sort of lable it was amazing everything just went blck byt dont leave it for to long though

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to a big rig truck wash and buy the aluminum "acid" to knock off the worst of the corrosion. I think I paid 8 bucks a gallon the last time I got it. That's the easy part. Then you have to work with the polish of your choice. Buy lots of beer, you will get thirsty.:beer::beer::beer:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mothers aluminum polish I use it on my wheels the shine is good a trailer is going to be a big job like (900catguy) said lots of work GET BEER AND BUDDIES:beer::beer::d:d wax on wax off

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well that acid is alu-clean from NAPA i uses it on my big trucks the lazy way to polish it leaves aluminum a white bright color:d

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard once there is a wax or something you should put on after polishing aluminum that will preserve your shine????????????????????

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I bought from a guy on Ebay. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds so ridiculous that it might actually work. Just be careful not to let the neighbors see you cooking it up, they might think you started a meth lab.

HOMEMADE POLISH RECIPE

Ingredients needed are:

1 LARGE POLISHING COMPOUND BAR (approx 3lbs 10" long) Grey bar for Stainless Steel and other hard metals(not aluminum) Red bar for severly tarnished aluminum . GREEN BAR for aluminum that has some oxidation but fairly decent finish. WHITE BAR for aluminum that is not tarnished to badly. BLUE BAR for aluminum, stainless steel or brass that has a nice finish to start with but want to get that mirror look (this color harder to find but is my favorite) For dull stainless steel, try the black bar.These compound bars are available at bigger truck stops,truck dealers,chrome shops and even online. For better description of the different color bricks, check out CASWELLPLATING.COM. These are approx $6-$7 ea
1 gallon of mineral spirits (1st choice) or paint thinner Available at most hardware stores or Walmart for aprox $5
(optional) 1 small bottle of household ammonia. Available most stores for under $1
( optional for speeding up drying) 1 small bottle of Japan dryer( available for about $3 at most paint stores, Fleetfarm, Menards,etc)

Large metal pot with lid that will hold at least 1 gallon and stir stick

Directions:
PLEASE DO THIS OUTDOORS OR IN WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!

Pour about 3 quarts of mineral spirits or thinner in large pot. Wrap compound in a rag and break up with a hammer . Unwrap and dump contents into pot. Using a camp stove, hotplate, or side burner on your barbeque, slowly heat mixture till steaming but not boiling. If using flammable thinner be carefull of flare up in which case place lid on quickly . I have not had this happen but it could if care is not taken. Stir continuously till compound has melted and no lumps are present on stir stick. Should take about 20 minutes to melt down. Allow to cool overnight. You will notice that the compound has settled to the bottom. (OPTIONAL) Add approx 4 or 5 ounces of Japan Dryer. This makes the polish dry quickly and easier to buff off but works well without it too. At this point you can use the polish. I use a bit of ammonia in mine to thicken up the polish and it also makes the polish less abrasive but if you want to polish very neglected items, leave ammonia out. If you find that the polish is too thin, allow to settle and pour off some of the thinner. If too thick, add more thinner. I pour mine into a bottle and adjust it after it settles so that it is about 50% thinner/50% compound. If you want to make it like the store bought kinds, add lots of thinner till it is about 25% compound and the rest mineral spirits. If you like paste polish like Wenol, pour off most of the thinner. Also if you want a more abrasive polish, omit the ammonia as it makes the polish softer. Experimenting with the amounts of each ingredient is the key. You can adjust it later to your liking by adding or subtracting some thinner. There is no way of going wrong and spoiling it.
If you are going to polish some old rims or tanks that have never seen polish before and are very rough, take some super fine emery cloth to them first or use an acid wash to remove some tarnish and brighten the aluminum. Try a small area first. I would then suggest using the green polish. as it is a bit more abrasive than the other colors. Pour some polish on a terry towel rag and rub the item you are polishing. Black sludge will appear. Keep rubbing and add some thinner to the rag if it seems to dry. After rubbing, allow to haze over and wipe with a dry cloth till the shine comes through. The white polish is not as abrasive and does not bite into the aluminum as hard but leaves a nicer finish. The blue or purple is my favorite. Once you have gotten a nice shine with the others, the purple/blue polish takes off any swirl marks and leaves a mirror finish. It has no cutting action and is meant for previous polished surfaces including stainless steel or brass. I even use on paint as a rubbing compound. After you are done polishing, applying a bit of TEFLON car wax will make the shine last much longer. Dupont Teflon Polish is quite cheap to buy at Walmart for approx $4.50 Aluminum is porous and tarnishes easily but this will help.
CAUTION please when making or using this polish. Probably not a good idea to breathe vapors or make indoors. Should wear gloves when making or using this stuff. Your wife may want to beat you for using her pot because it will never be fit for food again. Although it is safe to make or use this stuff if care is taken, I take no responsibility for any accidents, spills, fires, divorces,etc.
I am quite sure that you will never consider buying store bought polish again! Good Luck!

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anyone reads that post about making polish and does it, YOU SHOULD BE SHOT!!! if anyone has a thought in their brain should realize that heating chemicals IS WRONG!! on so many levels!!!! and then mixing them wtf are you thinking! heating chemicals such as solvent based products increases the flash point at a rapid rate, a rate that would shock you!! i cant tell what the rates or technical data is, but in my little expirience with pressures, heating, boiling whatever STUPID stuff to make you own polish cheap or say your own special blend, is bad!!bad,bad,bad,bad!!! simple solvent you would use for cleaning paintbrushes heated and pressurized is probably not far off from pure race gas or worse in volitile properties!!

Beaver

Reaction score
The best polish and cleaner I have seen is the stuff Andy Savell 403-818-7789 sells at the sled shows.He demonstated this on my tarnished tunnel.you apply it just like a wax and watch it turn black,let it dry and wipe it off.some elbow grease is required(about 1 hour):beer: but not near as much as mothers or alot of other products I've seen.It gives you a mirror finish.I think there is even a wax in this product cause it has been 2 yrs now and my tunnel still looks good.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anyone reads that post about making polish and does it, YOU SHOULD BE SHOT!!! if anyone has a thought in their brain should realize that heating chemicals IS WRONG!! on so many levels!!!! and then mixing them wtf are you thinking! heating chemicals such as solvent based products increases the flash point at a rapid rate, a rate that would shock you!! i cant tell what the rates or technical data is, but in my little expirience with pressures, heating, boiling whatever STUPID stuff to make you own polish cheap or say your own special blend, is bad!!bad,bad,bad,bad!!! simple solvent you would use for cleaning paintbrushes heated and pressurized is probably not far off from pure race gas or worse in volitile properties!!

Yeah, needless to say, I didn't leave the guy positive feedback. I thought it was kinda funny in a sad way.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard once there is a wax or something you should put on after polishing aluminum that will preserve your shine????????????????????

Alcoa makes a sealant which I have been trying to find, in Edmonton area they say it lasts 6 times as long as the next best sealant.

Where do we find????

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want good hand polish use F1 ultimate metal polish. there is three different grades to it, fine medium and coarse. i use the medium all the time on everything i polish wheels,tanks,checkerplate,stainless parts,tunnels,decks...you get the point! if you have badly stained aluminum (like doesnt look like aluminum, brown,black or dark grey colors) use the coarse first, then move on to the medium for a final polish. the medium is great for removing small scratches, water spots and stains. the fine is a great quick clean up polish for anything metal. its a little less aggressive than the medium but works awesome compared to the regular store bought products. it has more "giver" in it!
you can purchase this at many big truck dealers in town and misc. other stores everywhere. call sapphire at 780 435 3222 they are my distributor for it in edmonton. or get me to polish your tunnel or deck (or whatever needs some shine) and i can sell you some then. and also the fine and medium have a wax sealant in them

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alcoa makes a sealant which I have been trying to find, in Edmonton area they say it lasts 6 times as long as the next best sealant.

Where do we find????

You can buy it at Traction 18051-111 ave in west Edmonton, great stuff, I have used it on my Kenworth wheels. I woudnt say that it lasts 6 times longer even after using the sealant, but then the wheels see alot of road salt throughout the winter. I now use Mothers, I buy it at Kenworth by the 4 liter can for about $80, cheaper than the Alcoa.

Top Bottom