Allison transmission service

ProRmk800

Reaction score
Time to change the transmission oil on the duramax

Does anyone recommend any shop in north eastern alberta who does good oil changes and know what there doing dont want some fly by night shop

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took mine to GM for the flush an service they have the proper equipment and wasnt too bad price wise!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't get a power flush. Allison does not recommend it.

check your oil. If its still nice and red and doesn't smell burned, I wouldn't do a thing. Of all the trucks I've owned I only took one in for it's scheduled oil change. That's when my problems began. If it aint broke don't fix it. JMO

assaultbear

Reaction score
Change the spin on trans filter every 20,000 kms on my Allison. Changed the oil myself, works good. Even though GM dealer says there is no filter inside the pan, there is. Changed it too.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the spin on trans filter every 20,000 kms on my Allison. Changed the oil myself, works good. Even though GM dealer says there is no filter inside the pan, there is. Changed it too.

There you go. Sounds simple enough. I like the idea of the spin on filter. Makes a lot of sense.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Straight from Allisons website. Internal filter should only be changed if the transmission needs complete overhaul.

Q. Filters - How many filters are there and when do they need to be changed?
A. The Allison 1000 Series™ uses two filters to maintain cleanliness of the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). There is a 'spin-on' filter that is externally accessible and is intended to be changed at each ATF change (see owners manual for recommended change intervals). Current P/N for this filter is 29539579. Because this is a relatively 'high pressure' spin-on filter, it is important to tighten the filter one full turn after the gasket contacts the transmission case. Also, there is a removable magnet between the filter and the transmission housing; care needs to be taken that the magnet doesn't get 'thrown away' with the old filter if it happens to stick to the old filter. Beginning with MY03, GM Truck is recommending that the spin-on filter (filter only; not transmission fluid) initially be changed at 7,500 miles. Following that, the filter and fluid should be changed at the recommended intervals. The other filter is inside the transmission oil pan, and is intended to be changed only in the event of an overhaul.

So just drop the fluid from the drain bolt, replace the spin on filter, and refill with Dexron 6 fluid.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
straight from allisons website. Internal filter should only be changed if the transmission needs complete overhaul.

q. Filters - how many filters are there and when do they need to be changed?
a. the allison 1000 series™ uses two filters to maintain cleanliness of the automatic transmission fluid (atf). There is a 'spin-on' filter that is externally accessible and is intended to be changed at each atf change (see owners manual for recommended change intervals). Current p/n for this filter is 29539579. Because this is a relatively 'high pressure' spin-on filter, it is important to tighten the filter one full turn after the gasket contacts the transmission case. Also, there is a removable magnet between the filter and the transmission housing; care needs to be taken that the magnet doesn't get 'thrown away' with the old filter if it happens to stick to the old filter. beginning with my03, gm truck is recommending that the spin-on filter (filter only; not transmission fluid) initially be changed at 7,500 miles. Following that, the filter and fluid should be changed at the recommended intervals. the other filter is inside the transmission oil pan, and is intended to be changed only in the event of an overhaul.

so just drop the fluid from the drain bolt, replace the spin on filter, and refill with dexron 6 fluid.

that is is......... Just replace the spin-on oil filter every 20k kms as required, and drain and refill the fluid when required(75-100k kms is recomended)......only change internal transmission filter if overhauling transmission

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you pull the plug and replace the spin on, its about 7 quarts to refill... that is if you have the stock pan

its one of the easier things to do on the duramax, just have a funnel ready

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hoot method is not really recommended either. Words from a former allison engineer on duramax forum and a reputable allison builder both on duramax forum is to pull the plug and change the filter. Drive for about 50 miles and drain the oil again. I use the allison transynd fluid in mine.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is is......... Just replace the spin-on oil filter every 20k kms as required, and drain and refill the fluid when required(75-100k kms is recomended)......only change internal transmission filter if overhauling transmission
X2.
The filter inside is just a screen for big pieces. The spin-on is the only one necessary to change. If you have pieces on the magnet on the filter, then you may want to change/clean your pick up screen, but likely you will have a rebuild coming in the near future.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cHANGE the spin onfilter reguallry,if you drain the transmission thru the drain pan plug be carefull not to over tighten for sometimes the nut inside the pan lets go then you cannot remove or tighten the drain plug,i also recomend trans synd oil

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cHANGE the spin onfilter reguallry,if you drain the transmission thru the drain pan plug be carefull not to over tighten for sometimes the nut inside the pan lets go then you cannot remove or tighten the drain plug,i also recomend trans synd oil
Do the GM parts stores carry this oil?

bspot

Reaction score
No Pawel, this is not a GM part but we have ordered it from the Allison transmission shop in Edmonton. Allison engineers actually recommended GM factory fill all trucks with transynd but GM engineers said it was overkill (too expensive) for the light duty application of the transmissions. Dexron 6 is a good enough oil but does not last as long as transynd.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
amsoil high viscosity atf is a dexrton 6 oil and their recomended drain is 160 000 kms or 80 000 for heavy duty

edit, its 100 000 for normal service and 50 000 for heavy duty service, just read the bottle again haha

Last edited:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy Transynd at Watrous Diesel as well. Buy your spin-on filters there too they're $10 or so.

As an aside, there is a Fleetguard engine oil filter you can buy at Cummins for cheap. $14 IIRC.

There are a number of adapters ( Nicktane, ADP... ) you can buy to run a $20 CAT 2micron fuel filter. Adapter pays for itself quickly.

Top Bottom