Albertan Planning a BC Trip

sparky660

Reaction score
I am planning a multi day trip to BC to ride in the Rockies and looking for some advice. I had seen some pictures on a site a few years ago that had a ride into a mine that it looked like they walked away when they shut it down and left most of the equipment. I would like something that would entail an adventure to include such sites. Is there a place you all would recommend? We are not afraid of roughing it so being in the middle of no where is right up my alley. If you are willing to give up some of the locations for us to venture out and see that would be greatly appreciated.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your talking about the Abbot mine at Healy Crk., South of Trout Lake BC. Here's a couple of photos of the area. PM me if you want some details.

On second thought, there is the Triune Mine NE of Trout Lake also. Haven't any info on that one but PM KootenayCat as it was probably his photos you saw.

Here is a slideshow from another forum poster.

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/...y Creek 2009/?albumview=slideshow&track=share

Attachments

• P9270055.jpg
    P9270055.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 159
  • P9270047.jpg
    P9270047.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 157
  • P9270032.jpg
    P9270032.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 148
  • P9270045.jpg
    P9270045.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 149

kathy

Reaction score
hi there! looks very interesting. how technical would you rate the ride? looking for somewhere different to ride this summer, but some in the group are not technical driver's at all.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ride in to the Abbott mine is 16 mi, one way, and a beautiful non technical ride. When you get to "The Notch" at the top there is a ton of technical trails. The nice thing is that the less adventuresome riders have a vieew of most of the tech trails and can sit & watch.

Attachments

• P9270012.jpg
    P9270012.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 140
  • P9270042.jpg
    P9270042.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 147
  • P9270035.jpg
    P9270035.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 141
  • P9270047.jpg
    P9270047.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 144

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hadster, lets keep a trip to that area in mind. Mid Aug - mid Sept. are the best because of possibility of snow at altitude.

I'd love a trip out there, now we'll just have to see if i can make it happen or not. It is a LONG way to travel for a ride (yes i know it'll be worth the drive, but not sure i'll be able to afford it or not.) Hopefully things will work out.
Great pics by the way, just makes me want to get there even more.

geoff06

Reaction score
Im in if you go I have rode at the other end of the lake where the town is , but not the other end . Im in the ok valley so keep me posted any time is good for me thanks Geoff:):)

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mongrol we will likely be up that way in early to mid MAY this year for another fishing trip, can you think of any really neat quad trips (to old mines,deserted towns, plane wrecks etc.) that we could get to at that time of year (snow level)???? Anything that might be close to your home town so we would not have to leave camp for more than a day????

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If snow keeps up like it is, that will not be a problem. I'll see what conditions are like when it gets a little closer. There is a couple of good rides withing 15 mi of town.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to Trout lake you'll wish you had a month to explore in that area, so many great mining trails and sites to check out. Rode there 5 summers in a row for a week each time, still not enough to see everything! Fish river, Ferguson, Gerrard, Healy, and east to Meadow mountain are all worth seeing. Hope to get up the East side of Duncan lake this summer, endless riding there too.

Mongrol, that first pic is the Abbot mine, the Wagner mine is the one near the glacier. A freind said the road was washed out to the Abbot mine but still open up to the Wagner and glacier. There was an electric mule, orecart and a mucker in the Abbot when we were there a few years ago.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the Duncan area, I rode up the Glacier Creek FSR to the Monica Mtn & Jumbo Pass trail heads. Nice scenery but the FSR ride was nothing to rave about. Wanted to see the area as it may be slated for destruction due to a hydro project.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
That is beautiful country.We camp near Nakusp in August every year , I would like to see this area as well..

geoff06

Reaction score
Just sold my house in winfield and am moving to gods country, Christina Lake got 5 acers on the river so i can quad allday everyday . Any one in the area let me know if they are going riding, ill take time out from building the house to ride . Ill be out that way mar 14 , staying at par 3 golf course till the house is complete . still looking forword to trout lake in august keep me posted Geoff

Top Bottom