Alberta Trail Pass.... Do you have yours?

Do you have an ASA Trail Pass?

• Yes, I buy one every year

Votes: 53 63.9%
  • No, I don't ride in Alberta/Only ride the Mountains

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • No, I've never heard of such a thing.

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Over the past 7 years of being involved in Snowmobiling in Alberta, and a Snowmobile club, I have learned that a lot of people don't buy a trail pass for Alberta because a) They always ride the mountains or b) think its too much of an investment.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but if you only knew the man hours and the dollars put into getting trails on the ground and groomed here in Alberta, maybe your eyes would be opened.

The following has been taken from the Alberta Snowmobile Association Website:

Trail Passes

Come join our team by purchasing your Trail Pass. This will assist in protecting the snowmobile trails from closure and it will enable the clubs to continue to provide you with the best service for your snowmobile enjoyment. Please invest in the sport we all love and let's JUST DO IT!

Call your local snowmobile club today for your membership Trail Pass or call the ASA at 780-427-2695

Welcome to the Alberta Snowmobile Association

In the early 70’s, it was identified that there was a need for a governing body to organize and address the issues of snowmobiling in the province. 1972 saw the incorporation of such a body, The Alberta Snowmobile Association. Throughout the next 35 years, the association has shown strong leadership. We are very proud of the accomplishments and endeavors, which have resulted from volunteers and staff working together towards common goals.

The ASA clubs are proud of their 5,000 km of trails. A majority of the Alberta segment of the Trans Canadian Snowmobile Trail is complete and the remainder is slated to be completed. With continued growth of our clubs it will surely mean more tracks in the snow and bigger and better things for Alberta snowmobilers.

Buying your ASA membership Trail Pass is your ticket to unforgettable snowmobiling this season. The regular price for a Trail Pass is $70, however, if you purchase prior to January 1, the cost is only $60. Your membership Trail Pass investment is used by the clubs and the ASA to maintain, build, sign and improve the trails on which you ride.

Here’s where your money goes:

1. Club Trail Operation and Development

* Approximately 75% of the trail pass revenue benefits the club where you ride…. “Buy Where You Ride”
* Funds are used for expenses ranging from fuel and insurance, equipment repair and signage, maintenance, bull- dozing, grading, brushing and clean up. The revenue even finances groomers.

2. Reinvestment by the ASA - Revenue received by the ASA is reinvested in a broad range of provincial programs to promote safe and environmentally responsible recreational snowmobiling, to provide strong leadership and support to member snowmobile clubs and set policies and strategies for the development of a system of safe trails. Programs are developed to benefit clubs and members alike. The remainder sustains the ASA itself.

3. Program Delivery

* Safety Campaign –Sled Smart Snowmobile Safety Awareness Team will be visiting rural Alberta schools to deliver snowmobile safety messages to students in the grades 7, 8 & 9. Portage College continues to partner with the ASA in delivering a recreational and industrial safety course.
* SnoRiders West/Alberta Snowmobiler will keep you up to date on snowmobile areas and news in the snowmobile industry. As a member, you will receive four issues of this magazine.
* Personal Insurance Programs are also offered to our members. Group rates by Drayden Insurance offer our members auto and home coverage as well as a stand-alone policy that insures snowmobiles. There are many unique features to this program so do make a personal inquiry to Drayden. American Income Life is also a valuable partner of the ASA and as a member you benefit from a free $3,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage and a Vision Eye Care program.

* The ASA MasterCard®* Program benefits are available to our members.

* The ASA Jamboree is hosted by member clubs in a different area of the province annually. As a member you are welcome to join us. Preregistration is necessary and space is limited.

* The annual ASA Snowmobile & ATV Shows held at Edmonton and Calgary bring all that is new in snowmobiling to you. Come join the excitement each October and November.

* Website participation increases yearly with current calendar of events, links, trail conditions and trail talk. Enjoy the adventure at ASA | Alberta Snowmobile Association

Taken from:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you just opened up a can of worms on this one some people would give there first born before buying a trail pass there reason they don't ride in alberta and they are not involved with any club just as a reminder to non members of the ASA poker rallies held in alberta require you have one to enter

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can of worms for sure. I have and will always buy my trail pass. When I go to the hills I always pay why wouldnt i when I ride on a ASA trail as well. This thread can either go good or bad. Like Tyler says seems here in AB people seems to not get in on the program.
Talk with the government for the future change is coming which will help out we all hope.
If we all buy a trail pass to support trails in Alberta it will increase the # of trails and also the quality of the trails out there right now.
If you NEVER ride in Alberta and pick BC then this is a no issue to you. But we have found when snow is good at home many stay home and ride here sometimes on club operated trails and they feel that they can still ride for free.
For all you riders that buy a trail pass THANK YOU.

JUST SAYING

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
you just opened up a can of worms on this one some people would give there first born before buying a trail pass there reason they don't ride in alberta and they are not involved with any club just as a reminder to non members of the ASA poker rallies held in alberta require you have one to enter

I have to disagree with you papajake, it isn't a can of worms, but rather an explanation or an effort to try and get riders to purchase trail passes. Yet, I see what you are saying.

It is great that the information is there and also an explanation of where the money goes. Particularily with regards to the amount of trails and the land use issues that are ongoing to keep the trails/areas open. A lot of riders think that the trail pass is for grooming and they are reluctant to buy a pass if the groomer isn't right in front of them. The more riders that see the need for land use negoiations maybe the better off we'll be.

It says above....* Approximately 75% of the trail pass revenue benefits the club where you ride…. “Buy Where You Ride”....if those riders would buy a pass where they ride it would be great. I belong to 2 clubs but I don't belong to one in Alberta as I am a BC resident but if I decide to go the Jamboree, I have no qualms about buying an ASA pass.

I think we need an educational program to convince all riders to join clubs, buy trail passes, and volunteer.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the money we spend on Trucks,Trailers(or Decks) and of corse the SLED , a trail pass is VERY cheep even if we don't ride here right now, we may in the future. Without these clubs and there efforts the way things are going you may not be to when you want ,never mind future generations. So lets help these clubs out , they have a bigger voice with more members. AND THATS MY OPINION,

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i would like to see happen is when someone registers a sled in the province have a extra box on there which club gets the prceeds and charge them right off the hop for a trail pass
then ya dont have a choice and we all benefit

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
what i would like to see happen is when someone registers a sled in the province have a extra box on there which club gets the prceeds and charge them right off the hop for a trail pass
then ya dont have a choice and we all benefit

That's how it is in Saskatchewan.....

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always buy mine at the first club meeting each year,nothing like riding a groomed trail back to the truck after a long day riding.
Buy your pass:d:beer:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over the past 7 years of being involved in Snowmobiling in Alberta, and a Snowmobile club, I have learned that a lot of people don't buy a trail pass for Alberta because a) They always ride the mountains or b) think its too much of an investment.to

Tyler, this is not a new question. I first joined a snowmobile club as a teen in the mid 70's(yes I'm that old). I remained a memeber until the club folded in the late 80's(caused by infighting between two groups in the club with different ideas). To the end the club was very active in promoting snowmobiling activities, and providing safety information.

Since I've moved to Edmonton area in 1991, I've joined 3 area clubs and never felt I belonged to any of them. At the first meeting of one club, they were trying to get me on committees and take a leadership role in the club. I didn't even know anyone!! Second club was a tight knit group and I always felt like an outsider. Third group was out of town a ways, but it was the local club for the inlaws, so I joined until the club divided into two groups with different agendas. Over the years this had turned me off of clubs, but I continued to ride in Alberta so I bought a trail pass every year.

With the years of lousy snow since 2002, I haven't rode once in Alberta, so I haven't bought a trail pass. This year I have started to support one of the areas I ride in BC, and I will join the other areas club as well.

I do believe the clubs have a great benefit for our sport, and hope they continue to promote the sport, but I don't feel like they are the place for me.

rgutmann

Reaction score
Don't have a trail system close by for us to use ,but if there was I would buy one. Most of my early and late riding is done in the mountains. If there is snow mid winter we ride in northen Sask or around home.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many sledders put a plate on there sled. Where does that mony go. That mony should go to the clubs because the government does not maintain any sled trails. So in my veiw to many hands out again. I agree IF YOU RIDE A GROOMED trail buy a trail pass or if you go to a poker rally buy what you need to ride in it. Go to the mountains buy a trail pass. My self i ride any thing but a groomed trail in alberta.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Support your Club, support the ASA and don't make up any excuses. Buy mine every year at the sled show:):)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to buy passes to help create the trails you say are not in your area, or not close by. Sask made them mandatory and have 1000's of km's of gov supported trails now....and GROOMED TOO!! AB happens to be one of the worst for km's of trails/grooming, but it is improving. A mandatory trail pass with registration would REALLy help trail development here.

Top Bottom