Alberta/BC back country land closures thread.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is what the studies were showing. In our existing parks the caribou population is dropping so makes total sense to close all areas then.
Well WTF, sounds like there is no hope for the dumb little guys.

May as well smother them in honey for the wolves.

Make it quick and delicious.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would think the local dealers would be the most vocal about it since it directly effects them but it doesn't deem that way. My good friends son is part owner in a local dealership and I don't think he even knows what the government is trying to do.
In shuswap Area, the only dealer to show at the shuswap backcountry riders meeting was a cat dealer, and they said Textron is on board

But no other brand showed, and this would include closing riding area for ckmp, brp can take a wide lick up my Harry azz

I'll be switching brands if the alpha holds up

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. Once they’re all gone, closures will be irrelevant won’t they?
You must be smoking some good stuff if you believe that.
Most of the snowmobile closures were put in place years before the wolves became an issue.
The Greenies claim our snowmobiles drive the Caribou out of the area, even those adjacent to where the sleds actually are, thereby putting stress on the animals and wearing them out.
Those of us that are old enough to have been sledding around Caribou can argue that as it was quite common to find yourself amongst them, especially on a foggy day. But they don't care about personal experience, only something to blame.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. Once they’re all gone, closures will be irrelevant won’t they?
No, then they will find another species to use as the reason to keep people out, probably the wolves since once the caribou are gone a major food source will disappear and the then their numbers will probably crash.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There just lost herds from the big ones up north that come down every
80years or so
Mid to Lower bc is not sustainable for them

Sooooo incorrect on so many levels! Please stop typing till you do some learning. You're lack of knowledge is not helping those who are trying to keep sledding areas open.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must be smoking some good stuff if you believe that.
Most of the snowmobile closures were put in place years before the wolves became an issue.
The Greenies claim our snowmobiles drive the Caribou out of the area, even those adjacent to where the sleds actually are, thereby putting stress on the animals and wearing them out.
Those of us that are old enough to have been sledding around Caribou can argue that as it was quite common to find yourself amongst them, especially on a foggy day. But they don't care about personal experience, only something to blame.

I believe that it doesn’t matter what the fcuk happens, eventually, our riding areas will be closed. It’s just a matter of time. That doesn’t mean I won’t fight and try to do my part to help keep them open.
I also believe that a wolf cull would most definitely help with caribou populations, but too many hippies and leaf lickers are against it. I believe I’ve never seen a caribou on the mountain in the in the 9 years I’ve been riding mountains. I believe in smoking the good stuff. Long as it’s in the hot tub, after an awesome day on the mountain. Hopefully, we’ll still have mountains to ride when my now 5 year old, is old enough to make a trip.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8DAD440D-51A6-4240-9B8C-450234DF3A8A.jpeg
2CD6D39F-85DA-4759-A4A1-E053B27A4514.jpeg

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah
look who’s running it
lol
wtf

shut everything all down and we can stay home

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's time to educate ourselves about what the government of B.C. is doing about mountain caribou habitat, instead of making stupid, uninformed comments about it.

Here is a link on what the plan is, and what they have done. You can see that there is a lot of hurdles to leap over to keep our riding areas open. To make stupid assumptions, only makes us look like that... STUPID.

Read this link, the section 5.4 is the one with recreational use involved. there are some comments, that I wish they held open, but whatever... Information is key.

Logging and Heli skiing is also quite involved.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a conversation with a gent a bit ago and this thread reminded me of it. Essentially maybe sledders/ATVers are being played the fool. It seems the government and organized activist groups pick multiple areas to try and close down at once. We sledders/ATVers spend a bunch of energy to keep them open and feel we have won a small victory when the only close 1or 2 of the four or five (+) that they originally threatened. Over the years and during multiple challenges they eventually get all the areas closed originally identified.
Maybe we should fight to open new areas like Banff, Yoho, Jasper, Wateron, Glacier etc every time they try to close one of our existing areas. One for one so to speak. We should start wit Banff, that place is overrun and so far from its natural state. I don't believe there are any Caribou. As an added benefit it may push a few out of country tourist from Banff which should be great for the wildlife.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s what I have been saying to
open new areas to ride , there’s more and more sleds being
sold every year and new guyz but the ride areas stay the same
there should be new ones opening every 5 years to keep pace
and Polaris doo cat yam / all dealers in bc/ab/ask should help pay for this
If it should start McBride vale blue revy golden radium should be the line up and down
Wishful thinking tho
lol

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A significant step change for sledders, flat landers or mountains is to get organized. Up in the great white north of FMM, we have been part of the consultation about our own Woodland Caribou and declining populations. The folks lobbying the Government to minimize or shut down access to area that have caribou know a lot about caribou and their habits.
What they do not know is why the populations in some areas keep dropping. By a system of elimination, they 'propose' what to do to stop the populations to the Government.
First on deck would be oil companies and other industries, but they have lawyers and are very organized to ensure they get what they want by learning how lobby the Government them selves.
What we lack is organization. A few years ago, I was very much a Lone Wolf rider, liked to do my own thing. Made camp fires wherever I damn well pleased, rode off across fields, Crown Land like I owned because I thought I did, just like any other tax payer should be able to declare. My S&M name came from a nick name I got because I loved running my quads in muskeg and I was not happy until I made it across or through every hole in Alberta.
Well I was wrong.
The more I learned, the more I realized I was wrong about crown land or trails being mine. Every square inch of the land in Alberta and probably BC, is spoken for and documented by dispositions, Traplines, Wild Life reserves, PLUZ's FLUZ's, Notations, Treaty Lands, Parks and industries that exploit the natural resources.
That's why when some one posts something not knowing the info, we (the organizers and the advocates of public land access) become unhinged because some of us know what happens if this misinformed statement gets used against the effort to keep the access.
The Y2Y and other lobbists groups are well funded and organized and in some cases I do agree with some of what they are doin to preserve sensitive areas, but unless they are kept in check, they will take more that what is needed and no one to stop them unless we organize ourselves and say Enough is Enough!
What can you do?
Join a Club
Learn about the processes of the Government and who are the stake holders looking to control access
Listen to those who have already have taken those steps and support them. Many are on this site and are very well informed. Ask them questions on how to help.
Start looking after your riding areas.
Stay on permitted areas
Be the Big Sister/Brother to inform those that go beyond the rules (booze, vandalism, garbage, eco damage, etc). Be ready to defend your riding areas with police reports and pictures of abuse against those who do not give a crap about your riding areas.

My morning rant, now I am going riding today, Happy trails and stay vigilant.

Top Bottom