Alaska!? Who can make the time for an early trip?

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how early we could sled in Alaska? And where would be best to go? I'm thinking 4-6 guys 24 hr driving 5-6 day trip. Who would be interested in a trip like that next month? Better than dodging rocks I think

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
24 hr drive would get you to Haines Summit, between Haines AK and Haines Jct, Yukon

How soon can a guy sled there?

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may be game

Need a little more info on what snow conditions would be like. I can go pretty much Anytime. 4 guys would be a good minimum. We can take 3 hr driving shifts. Split hotel, and bring one trailer. (I don't have one btw haha). Or deck and small two place. I'm assuming the room would be $150+/-' so $150 each for room fee for entire trip. + fuel, say $1200 there and back so $300 each. Then food, say $150 each. And sled fuel, varies with what you're running. About $300 for me. So $900-1000 for a trip to Alaska. Two days traveling and 3 full days riding. Don't forget your passport!!! :) if it doesn't happen soon I still want to make this trip happen this year at some point.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
24 hr drive would get you to Haines Summit, between Haines AK and Haines Jct, Yukon

Found this cool site with all the outdoor cameras all round Alaska.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have been game, but I need to take the girlfriend to Maui for my 2 weeks off in November, so I can get more time out sledding in the winter. The sacrifices I have to make to sled...

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some areas of Alaska will be ready about the same time as say Revy would
the earliest ID (IronDog) from dootalk has ever ridden was mid Oct. (years ago)
if your serious about going, hes a good guy to chat with about areas and conditions

honestly, you could wait till mid/late Nov here be riding Revy no problem

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some areas of Alaska will be ready about the same time as say Revy would
the earliest ID (IronDog) from dootalk has ever ridden was mid Oct. (years ago)
if your serious about going, hes a good guy to chat with about areas and conditions

honestly, you could wait till mid/late Nov here be riding Revy no problem

Aw, the cold hard truth hurts. Well, being that's probably true, I do want to make this trip at some point this year. So would still love to make a nice riding group of 4-12 people.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're interested, a group of us heads to Hyder every year - Normally leave afternoon of Nov. 29th & get home 8 - 10 days later depending on the snow, riding & weather. Usually lose a day or 2 of riding in the middle for weather (no visibility), safety-meeting day, etc. So far this year we have one 4 place leaving from Red Deer area & another from Leduc area.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're interested, a group of us heads to Hyder every year - Normally leave afternoon of Nov. 29th & get home 8 - 10 days later depending on the snow, riding & weather. Usually lose a day or 2 of riding in the middle for weather (no visibility), safety-meeting day, etc. So far this year we have one 4 place leaving from Red Deer area & another from Leduc area.

Sweet! I'd more than likely be up for that. I'll send you a friend invite

snowho

Reaction score
I would love to a A.K trip start,mid,end of season. It is a long trip but worth it. The tough thing would be passing by so many other zones. I would like to check some of these other areas along the way.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to a A.K trip start,mid,end of season. It is a long trip but worth it. The tough thing would be passing by so many other zones. I would like to check some of these other areas along the way.

You would be talking a 10 day to two week trip for something like that.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would be talking a 10 day to two week trip for something like that.

I was planning on doing the same trip your wanting to do. I was gonna plan for late season so there would be some daylight up there though.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have been game, but I need to take the girlfriend to Maui for my 2 weeks off in November, so I can get more time out sledding in the winter. The sacrifices I have to make to sled...

Haha we think alike! I'll be in Maui in November as well with the GF, cheaper time for Hawaii, early season snow in mountains, yup time for a trip!! lol

Top Bottom