Aftermarket spindles?!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if buying bare metal spindles for my new XM is cheaper than taking the black off them. I found a non abrasive way to take the paint off of the spindles, Soda Blasting and NaTech does it here in Calgary, but at $195/hr. On a high guesstimate he said doing the springs and spindles would be 3 hrs so $585 to strip the color off.

Wondering if anyone knows where I could get a price on bare aluminum spindles for a 14 XM?! Factory or after market. Just trying to weigh my options.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1) Go to local parts store and ask for Aircraft stripper, they keep it in the back not on the shelf
2) Put on safety glasses and nitrile gloves
3) Cover the spindles with stripper and hang from a wire overnight
4) Spray off with a hose

Much cheaper :beer:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That stuff works awesome on paint. But are the spindles powder coated or painted? I thought they were powder coated????? Therefore the stripper would not work???? I am not 100% sure though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That stuff works awesome on paint. But are the spindles powder coated or painted? I thought they were powder coated????? Therefore the stripper would not work???? I am not 100% sure though.

It works on powdercoat just lay it on thick and make sure the shop is fairly warm. A pressure washer will work a lot better as well.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1) Go to local parts store and ask for Aircraft stripper, they keep it in the back not on the shelf
2) Put on safety glasses and nitrile gloves
3) Cover the spindles with stripper and hang from a wire overnight
4) Spray off with a hose

Much cheaper :beer:

Is it a gel stripper? I was told to only use a gel stripper

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that aircraft stripper like using Loctite 'Chisel Gasket Remover'?

If so, it burns skin. Advised an old timer to wear a facesheild as we were using it on an old recip outside at Dow, in the wind... He put one on after the first 1/4 can made it to his face and started chiseling gasket material off his face. Works good when you follow instructions, not sure how it'll work on powder coating.

Top Bottom