After market air filters for an outy

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was thinking about upping the performance of my already powerful Outlander. Does anyone have any experience with after market air filters, exaust pipes, and cdi chips or boxes. Do these things work? Will they work on the outlander, and is it a good idea to install them? Thanks alot.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a K&N air filter and an HMF slip on pipe on my Outty 800. Never really noticed any difference in power, but sure sounds nice. The K&N just makes good sense. It cost me $75, and is basically good for the life of the machine. A stock filter is around $20, and has to be replaced once or twice a year. I think in order to get the most out of the add-ons, you will have to run a fuel optimizer as well. I just haven't gotten around to spend the extra $300, so I don't know for sure.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the washable K&Ns make sense,got mine for the Kodiaks on Ebay for $25.00 with shipping,
got a FMF Pipe for $125.00 from Yamaha dealer .

as for chips and boxes on your fuel injected Quad.
leave it alone, you think Bombadier spent Millions on research in building that 800 so we can F with it.I was a Bomby dealer for years,I loved people that Fooled with there stuff..we made nothing but money on that stuff.
if it anit Broke, Dont fix it.!!!Just keep it clean and serviced a Lot,.OILs cheap.

Last edited:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used to be a big k and n fan but after my small engines repair mechanic explained to me the damage it may be causing to my engine, i am very skeptical. i have had to get the vavles set 4 times now on my kvf 700 with 7500 km. now to me this does not seem good. he explained it could be from dirt getting in there and wearing down the seats therefore not sealing properly. more air flow = more dirt taken in. this goes back to kenvb's point about brp or whatever company spending millions to get things just right. im sure they figured out exactly how much air the engine requires and suited it with an appropriate air filter. i was also alarmed when the mechanic told me kawasaki ninja street bikes use identical air filters to the stock ones found on brutes and prairies.... so u cant tell me my stock filter is not allowing enough air flow! after my few incidents with the valves, i have put my stock filter back on. no difference. as for exhaust, HMF sounds delightful to my ears :) just my 2 cents

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, thanks alot for the input. I kinda thought that maybe I should leave the engine performance alone. After all, it does run perfectly.:beer: I hear alot of guys put clutch kits on there outlanders, does anyone know how I would benefit from this? Less belt slipage maybe? Or maybe quicker hook up? It seems like the clutch has some room for a little improvement.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, leave it stock. I have 27" Vampires with stock clutching, never a problem spinning them, even in high gear. If you are going to run 28" or bigger, then maybe clutch it, but I wouldn't do that either. As Ken says, the more junk you put on it, the less reliable it gets.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I have no intentions of changing or modding this quad now. Maybe a pipe one day.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I threw a twin air foam filter in and use Belray foam filter oil for it on my rhino. You can also get a uni,.. I stopped running a K&N awhile back,.. let too much dirt through.

Top Bottom