Advice on quad for pushing snow.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for input on a quad for pushing snow on sidewalks around condos I maintain in the winter. Budget is $3500.00 plus or minus a few hundred. Which of the major brands are best suited for doing this, what engine size is adequate, which brand and width of blade works best? I have never owned a quad so my knowledge is quite limited. Thanks for lending me your expertise!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for input on a quad for pushing snow on sidewalks around condos I maintain in the winter. Budget is $3500.00 plus or minus a few hundred. Which of the major brands are best suited for doing this, what engine size is adequate, which brand and width of blade works best? I have never owned a quad so my knowledge is quite limited. Thanks for lending me your expertise!

get a snow blower. quad with a blade work fine if you have plenty of room. once you make a pass and build a bank then you have no place to put the next snowfall.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a snow blower. quad with a blade work fine if you have plenty of room. once you make a pass and build a bank then you have no place to put the next snowfall.

I do have a good blower and a skid steer to boot. I am looking for something to mainly do the city portion of the sidewalks. There is plenty of boulevard space on one side and city street on the other. My plan was to push the lighter accumulations with the quad and then blow the ridge on to the boulevard when it gets to much to push. I have been using the blower but it is slow. I am maintaining 3 sides of a city block so there is quite a bit to do and was looking for a quicker way to get it done.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do have a good blower and a skid steer to boot. I am looking for something to mainly do the city portion of the sidewalks. There is plenty of boulevard space on one side and city street on the other. My plan was to push the lighter accumulations with the quad and then blow the ridge on to the boulevard when it gets to much to push. I have been using the blower but it is slow. I am maintaining 3 sides of a city block so there is quite a bit to do and was looking for a quicker way to get it done.

you may have to up your budget a bit. Any of the big 4 manufacturers will work just fine.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have a older Cat 400 with a blade at work, and it works just fine for us.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend was using a Honda 400 with a 50 inch plow (I think). He cleared his driveway and the cul-de-sac in his neighbourhood and mine with ease.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would help to put in your location. Some places will enforce the off highway vehicle driving in the city. You will get fined for plowing. I used to do it in Edmonton and didn't have any issues but I know people have in the past.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would help to put in your location. Some places will enforce the off highway vehicle driving in the city. You will get fined for plowing. I used to do it in Edmonton and didn't have any issues but I know people have in the past.

Saskatoon is the city. I have seen a few others doing it and never heard of anyone having trouble.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the Police stop you from plowing , DO NOT get in their face and threaten or try to intimidate them. A father son team tried that a couple years ago and they found themselves eating snow and in handcuffs. Turns out, the issue wasn't the plowing, the quad spun sideways and was stuck. The son had his pickup blocking a busy road trying to pull it out. Cop happened along and then the situation escalated.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I use a Polaris Sportsman 500HO with a 50" blade. Works great but like senor pipes mentions, you need lots of room to push the snow and store it for the whole winter. Right about now, I start about 10-20' back from where I want my driveway in March. The quad can't lift the snow so it is difficult if you don't make room from the get-go.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you would have to look used, i think for 3500... new even a smaller cc Honda with a blade will be around the 5 to 6 grand mark... the problem is if you buy used your usually buying someones quad that has been beaten on the trail and the last thing you want is to have it in the shop more than you do snow...lol if your using just for that i would buy new.. and buy a Honda.. it will plow your snow into the next century! hehe.................or buy a can-am and do it in style and fassst! lmao

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my 06 Vinson 500 for $3600 and another $5 or $6 hundred for a plow. Works great on my 250ft driveway. If you get crazy amounts of snow, you do run into the problem of creating a hard bank but can't do much about that aside from buying a monster tracked snow blower with a 5 ft wide chute. The one thing I don't like with my quad and plow is the winch is low and the plow is limited to height by the main tubes running under the quad to the mounting plate. My brother inlaw has a Polaris 800 Sportsman. I really like the plow and the way it attaches. It hinges at the front and can lift much higher than mine.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my banks get high i just get my sled out. Those banks are flung back 50 feet...best snow blower going. A yamaha rhino pushes one mean pile of snow.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the swisher bucket on my old honda 500. Worked great around town. You can use it like a Plow, and like a bucket when it's deep. 48" wide! Here's a pic off the net. Peavey mart Carries them. Your bobcat is too wide?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 142

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try spraying your blade with fluid film lubricant helps stop snow from sticking works really well.

tool_man

Reaction score
Make sure your neighbours are on board, a friend was pushing snow in Saskatoon (west side) and the cops were called. It's not legal in city limits.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 feet of snow and minimal money because the city has overspent and you would surprised how attitudes change.

Top Bottom