Advice on clutch setting

Ryan.Coke

Reaction score
Hey all. I farted around with the clutch cable a bit after I bought my bike ( bad idea I guess). Now I am trying to get it set properly. It seems right now that it stall very easily when riding slow. As well, lets say when I am coasting slowly down a hill in first gear and pull the clutch handle I hear a click click click click going on. Is this a sign of needing more tension on the clutch cable? Thanks!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are all sounds of a properly functioning clutch. It should stall at slow speed because you motor can't turn it. You don't want it to slip at all or you'll burn it up. And that clicking is likely your chain slapping while loosening and tightening while coasting. All normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Adjust the cable so the lever has about 1-2mm of free movement befor tension begins

Most recommend more then that... 5-10mm probably. The cable slack can change with which way the handlebars are turned.

A clutch cable is as simple as it gets. You can't really screw it up. Make sure there is play in the lever is #1. This shows the clutch isn't slightly disengaged while riding causing possible slipping and overheating/wear. Adjust at the bottom end of the cable. The top end is for fine adjustment while riding.

If rolling to a stop and it affecting idle/stalling WITH the clutch lever pulled in after the above settings are made means your clutch basket is worn and the plates aren't seperating. Sometimes this can be saved by filing them flat but this is often a common issue with clutches. With the side cover removed you'll see what I'm talking about, or google worn clutch basket.

Clicking noise sounds odd. Accidentally pulling a decomp lever in will make a clicking noise (if you have one) or, it can be your chain SLAPPING. Nothing in your engine/clutch should be making this noise. KTM's had an issue for awhile that made very loud slapping noises from the chain hitting the guides. This shouldn't be all that noticeable so I'm curious what's clicking? Do you have proper chain slack? Over tightening a chain is a common mistake for new riders. The chain actually tightens as the suspension compresses. The longest "circumference" is when the primary shaft, rear swing arm pivot and axle pivot line up. Or just measure the proper slack stated in the manual.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom