Adjustable Steering Post Failure!

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new M8000 for the wife and it has the adjustable steering post. On several occasions now it has collapsed on her and me, almost sending both of us over the hood. Not cool. I went o a dealership and asked them if they have had this issue, answer was no. I jumped on a sled in the showroom and said this is what happens and did it right in front of the guy.....he was stumped and amazed. He started asking people about it and it is happening a lot. At several different positions I have grabbed the bars and with fairly straight arms at a stopped position can give a solid push down on the bars and make them collapse, as can my wife. When riding an going over any type of hill or jump or whatever with what I think is a fair but not excessive amount of down pressure the bars bottom out. When yo don expect it bad things can happen. The dealer I talked to said it may become a recall issue, it's in to have he bars replaced and we'll see what happens. If anyone has had this happen let me know and if you have any solutions o fixes other Han replacing the telescopic with a different pod and riser, that defeats the reason we got is or her in the first place. Thanks a lot for any info.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had mine collapse on a few occasions at slow speed. I had assumed it was due to my handlebar bag keeping the lock ring from sitting in its proper position. But on another occasion when I hit a frozen cement cinder block it did not collapse. I always double check the lock ring after I do any adjustments. I am looking to replace the adjustable stem for a fixed position bar. The steering and bushing slop is annoying

Coxy

Reaction score
I hated the adjustable post on my 09. Sure it saved the 50 bucks on a riser, but was just junk. Sloppy, super weak where the weld is part way down, and always frozen locked, or stick half locked. I never lowered it for the trail ride in/out once, so I swapped to a regular post and whoever made the nice tapered riser at that time.

catothom

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I had the same problem on mine. Went over the bars several times coming out of a wheelie over a hill top or up a snowbank.
Several times the adjustable post didn`t even lock up right. Went up and down like a yo yo.
Didn`t want that anymore so this spring I riped that sucker out, changed it with a zbroz post and a solid riser! No more problem with that piece of beep...

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She likes it.....well the idea of it anyways. It gives her choice and that's important. Comfort keeps her out longer and thus I burn more gas!!!

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I had the same problem on mine. Went over the bars several times coming out of a wheelie over a hill top or up a snowbank.
Several times the adjustable post didn`t even lock up right. Went up and down like a yo yo.
Didn`t want that anymore so this spring I riped that sucker out, changed it with a zbroz post and a solid riser! No more problem with that piece of beep...
Fact is its dangerous and someone is going to get hurt bad...

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Wife's sled does the same only reversed! The handlebars will move up when pulled on. This happens when the post is in the lowest position and when pulled up on it will ratchet to the top. If i adjust it to one position higher than the lowest position it will lock solid. 14 M8000 SP. I am thinking about talking to my dealer about it.

Motomonks

Reaction score
Mine does the same, I haven't had mine collapse but when I do ride with my bars down (next to never) they will pull all the way up, you can fix the sloppiness with a fairly cheap polyurethane bushing. I think the idea of a telescoping handlebar is nice, sometimes I'd wish they would stay at the half way up position but they slide up with not that much of a pull really

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can't figure it out ski-doo makes a really nice adjustable riser that will mount to any T-style steering post. Not trying to push BRP gear but I have one and love it. It's not yellow or covered in ski doo logos either which is nice.

hgl800

Reaction score
I've found on my last 3 sleds that if you have it all the way to the bottom or top you have this issue. If you take a closer look you'll notice that the adjuster will actually go below or above all the notches which lets it move. Everytime you adjust it make sure you give it a little pull up and push down to make sure its locked, not that this will cure it 100%, just might help out some. Having said that I've been running the zbroz post adapter since it came out and would never look back. If my next sled is another cat it will be one of the first things that gets thrown in the junk pile in the corner lol

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can't figure it out ski-doo makes a really nice adjustable riser that will mount to any T-style steering post. Not trying to push BRP gear but I have one and love it. It's not yellow or covered in ski doo logos either which is nice.
Thanks for the option, anything is worth a look if it'll help.

thekrust

Reaction score
I have had this happen too.. What I noticed is that the bottom collar rotates a little, if it I not in the center when you move it, it can do the ratchet thing.If you take moment and make sure it's centered it will not move unexpectedly. That being said ...they could better.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never a problem on my 2010.....but I'm not sure I've ever moved it either. Didn't have it on my'05 or '07, so I never remember I have it on this one. Just stays as tall as it'll go all the time.

Last edited:

Dulley

Reaction score
No issues with my 2014 ltd, like a previous note every time you adjust the height, make sure you pull up to lock into place.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had it happen on my 2010 occasionally but mine was hooking the handlebar bag most of the time. But like stated above if you take a quick second to make sure it is locked into place you should be fine. That being said that adjustable riser that BRP sells is pretty nice and no slop whatsoever. Don't know how much trouble it would be to make it fit though.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No issues with my 2014 ltd, like a previous note every time you adjust the height, make sure you pull up to lock into place.
Like I said, any position it does this, has been changed twice now. Where do you live around Sion?

elkhunt

Reaction score
My Wife's sled does the same only reversed! The handlebars will move up when pulled on. This happens when the post is in the lowest position and when pulled up on it will ratchet to the top. If i adjust it to one position higher than the lowest position it will lock solid. 14 M8000 SP. I am thinking about talking to my dealer about it.

My 13' did the same thing had it swapped out under warranty.

catothom

Reaction score
Mine almost killed me and then I chose to get rid of that piece of crap! Came up a steep hill, came over the top in a wheelie, cause I knew it was nothing on top of the hill for me to crash into.
Came fast uphill and over the hilltop in almost 90 degree wheelie, so I let of the throttle a bit to get the skis down, but let it of to much.
Had the steering post at the top, because I forgot to lower it before a climb.
That resulted in the front end coming down to fast, my bars dropped as soon as the skis touched ground, snow was soft so skis went straight through, sled stopped immediately and threw me of the sled and made me land in front of the sled.
If the sled had kept moving forward, it would have run over me and even worse, broke my neck.
After that, I ordered the zbroz post delete, new bars cause my bars got bent after going over them.. Now I`m happy as a champ and feel safe on my sled again, even tho I have skinny stock skis on still :p

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had three different machines with the adjustable post 2011, 2013, 2014.....not one issue to speak of.

Top Bottom