Actualy considering a Cat!!!

kootenayguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I'm hoping to lean on the shoulders of experience here in hopes of getting some personal experience with some CATS that I'm looking at right now. Ill let you all know what they are, give my thoughts on them, and any and all advice, opinions, or personal experiences with these models would be HUGELY appreciated. At the end of the day, my main deciding factors would be first and foremost any sled that has had a notorious reputation for reliability (I'm aware that there are lemons everywhere, and that the biggest factor for reliability is a good maintenance schedule) And Second would be user friendliness and fun factor (our riding is almost 100% un-groomed logging roads, skidder trails, and wide open areas)

Also if any of these have a bad reputation for being absolute pigs on fuel, then I'd be interested in considering that, but its not a deal breaker if the first two items are taken care of.

Thanks again for all the help- you guys and this site are invaluable!!!

#1: 2002 Arctic Cat 800 Mountain Cat with 144 x 21/2" track- LOTS of upgrades and is in basically brand new condition

#2: 2003 Arctic Cat 900 Mountain Cat with 151" track not as new condition as the others but has been religiously maintained.

#3: 2004 Arctic Cat King Cat 900 (1M) with 162" track- only has 273 miles on it, another amazing looking machine!

#4: 2000 Arctic Cat Powder special 700 with 136"x2" track- well maintained as well

#5: 1994 Arctic Cat Thundercat 900 with 144"x2" track. lots of extras. Looks in great shape.

I know Ive kind of thrown in a red herring or two with the powder special and the thundercat- the others are probably considered to be more capable mountain machines, at least from a performance standpoint. My reasons in doing so, are the fact that Ive been learning (please correct me if I'm wrong folks!!!) that some of the older machines are near legends with seasoned riders as far as reliability goes. Obviously technology has advanced to the point that a new style mountain sled isn't even in the same category as the stuff from the mid to late nineties or even the early 00's, but at that time it was all we had to choose from, and for a rookie wanting to get into the sport and have as much fun as possible- with hopefully as few breakdowns as possible, I'm willing to consider these older machines as a viable option.

So to summarize, there are actually a few mountain cats, king cats, powder specials, AND powder extreme's even that Ive got my eye on, but the point of this thread is really to learn the general consensus of which of these models is the wisest choice.

Once again I can't thank everyone enough, and I look forward to everyone's feedback!

Relic

Reaction score
High stay away from the 700 and tunder cat they are time bombs. The 800 and 900 are very good sleds.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2002 800 mountain cat love it
stay away form the powder special as i was told not to buy one as they are to heavy for the size engine they have
i think I'd stay away form the thunder cat as well little to old unless the price was a smoking deal

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'02 800 - Are said to be one of the most reliable engines cats built. I've never owned/riden one......but have never heard a bad thing about them

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I'm hoping to lean on the shoulders of experience here in hopes of getting some personal experience with some CATS that I'm looking at right now. Ill let you all know what they are, give my thoughts on them, and any and all advice, opinions, or personal experiences with these models would be HUGELY appreciated. At the end of the day, my main deciding factors would be first and foremost any sled that has had a notorious reputation for reliability (I'm aware that there are lemons everywhere, and that the biggest factor for reliability is a good maintenance schedule) And Second would be user friendliness and fun factor (our riding is almost 100% un-groomed logging roads, skidder trails, and wide open areas)

Also if any of these have a bad reputation for being absolute pigs on fuel, then I'd be interested in considering that, but its not a deal breaker if the first two items are taken care of.

#1: 2002 Arctic Cat 800 Mountain Cat with 144 x 21/2" track- LOTS of upgrades and is in basically brand new condition

#2: 2003 Arctic Cat 900 Mountain Cat with 151" track not as new condition as the others but has been religiously maintained.

#3: 2004 Arctic Cat King Cat 900 (1M) with 162" track- only has 273 miles on it, another amazing looking machine!

#4: 2000 Arctic Cat Powder special 700 with 136"x2" track- well maintained as well

#5: 1994 Arctic Cat Thundercat 900 with 144"x2" track. lots of extras. Looks in great shape.

I know Ive kind of thrown in a red herring or two with the powder special and the thundercat- the others are probably considered to be more capable mountain machines, at least from a performance standpoint. My reasons in doing so, are the fact that Ive been learning (please correct me if I'm wrong folks!!!) that some of the older machines are near legends with seasoned riders as far as reliability goes. Obviously technology has advanced to the point that a new style mountain sled isn't even in the same category as the stuff from the mid to late nineties or even the early 00's, but at that time it was all we had to choose from, and for a rookie wanting to get into the sport and have as much fun as possible- with hopefully as few breakdowns as possible, I'm willing to consider these older machines as a viable option.

So to summarize, there are actually a few mountain cats, king cats, powder specials, AND powder extreme's even that Ive got my eye on, but the point of this thread is really to learn the general consensus of which of these models is the wisest choice.

Once again I can't thank everyone enough, and I look forward to everyone's feedback!

#3 if it has to be a cat:d

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'02 800 - Are said to be one of the most reliable engines cats built. I've never owned/riden one......but have never heard a bad thing about them

mines got 4400 km still running strong, have not rebuilt yet *knock on wood"

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
normally I'd say #3 but for the riding you described I'd go with #2

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#3 Low miles, 900 is a bullet proof engine, good power and easy to add performance upgrades. Attack 20 track not the best, but still not bad. Best preventive maintenance on the KK is change the chain every 500-700 miles no matter what it looks like. You can get more miles out of them, but for $90, it's the weak link and way cheaper than a complete chaincase.

I miss my Kingcat!!!

Omit #4 and #5 from the equation, even if they are free.

:twocents:

snotwister

Reaction score
Well in MY opinion without going into detail its a pretty easy choice given your selections.Its Definatley(my opinion) that #1 or #3 are your best options.If your climbing then its for sure #3 but for the kind of riding you mention your looking to do then i would be leaning heavily towards #1.After that it would be reluctantly number 2 then very reluctantly #4 and i wouldnt drag home #5 if the guy paid me for it.Now for my best advice would be to forget arctic cat altogether; but i understand it seems to be some kind of sickness that we havent found a cure for yet.LOL!!!!!!!!!! good luck.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either of the 900 cats all the way. Alot of cat guys still miss the grunt of that 900 engine. In 03 when cat really started to put some effort into making their mountain machines and the 900s worked really well. The other 3 options in my opinion are not real great machines. The 700 powder special did'nt get the name parking lot special for nothing. I had a newbie buddy buy a t-cat and hated it. In the hands of a good expierenced rider they are ok but just too dang heavy. I guess the 800 would be ok but any that I have seen were less than impressive. In 02 I think it was the weakest of all the 8s that year. I really think either of the 9s would be the way to go.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I have an 09 800 Crossfire with a 141". love it goes everywhere's I want to go, I ride the mountains with it. Today a couple of diehard 4 stroke yammy boys took it for a rip, I had a tough time getting it back. lol. I am very happy with my cat. I was torn between the M8 and Crossfire, ended up going with Crossfire. some days I regret not going with the M8.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1m 900 and after one ride on an m series it became a backup sled, they are capable and reliable machines, but the handling doesnt come close and the overall ability requires alot more effort, our of your list I'd go with the 162 900 myself, but I am biased, personally though I'd spend the extra grand and get an m series the first time around as you will eventually try one and then the older ones lose their luster, jmo of course but this was my experience this season

Pinebeatle

Reaction score
I have a 99 PS 700- It is a great sled, never gave me any prob, Gave it to my son who now is running the hell out of it,but it is a little underpowered. Would go with a 800 if you can - best fuel economy!

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
# 3 all the way. As the owner of a 2004 carbed King Cat, I can say it is an amazing machine. It will do everything I want of it and more. The only time it was towed out of the backcountry is when I bent the rear axle a 1/4 inch climbing in Elkford. It hit something under the snow and spit out the wheels. It is actually really good on fuel when boondocking and climbing. I can not say enough good about this machine.

Top Bottom