ABS Escape?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's using an ABS Escape bag? I'm looking into the 15l cause I found a good deal on them. I'm running the AviVest right now but it straight out just doesn't fit me. I bought it off Snowbigdeal but should of found one to try on first. I think the 15l will work perfect for what I carry

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used one for a weekend in revy and for me its way too small. I'm not a big guy either 5'6" 185lbs. Your probe and shovel handle has to go inside the bag while the shovel blade has to be strapped on the outside which made it a real pain to open the bag up to get stuff out. I rode with a snowpulse highmark 22L for 1 day that trip and it is the most comfortable backpack i have ever used plus it has lots of storage space. I you keep your avy gear on your sled the abs would be alright. i have also used the BCA Float 18 for 2 days and right of the bat it didn't feel very comfortable and has minimal storage. Again avy gear all has to go inside the bag which really limits what you can carry. i did like it more than the ABS. The snowpulse is still my favorite, i was amazed at how heavy it feels when you pick it up but once its strapped on the weight distribution was perfect it felt lighter than my little HMK bag with way more stuff in it. I also didn't like how the trigger handle plugs in like an air hose fitting. Every day when i unhooked it i was scared that it was gonna deploy the air bag. I hope this helps

gimmepowder

Reaction score
Who's using an ABS Escape bag? I'm looking into the 15l cause I found a good deal on them. I'm running the AviVest right now but it straight out just doesn't fit me. I bought it off Snowbigdeal but should of found one to try on first. I think the 15l will work perfect for what I carry

I guess it depends on what you typically carry...I looked at the Escape 15, but didn't like the fact that you had to keep the shovel/probe inside the pack since these take up quite a bit of space. Also, I didn't like the idea of having to try and access the shovel without dumping the rest of the contents of the pack. Not to mention the fact that once you have utilized your shovel (and unless you only ride trails, you will likely need your shovel at some point), you'll be putting a snow-covered mess INSIDE your pack right next to your dry gloves, etc. I used to use a Dakine Heli-Pro (no avalanche airbag system) which has external storage for the shovel/probe thereby eliminating the problem of keeping your dry items from getting wet due to the snow introduced by your shovel when you re-pack it after using it to shovel your carcass out of a bind. I currently use the ABS Vario base unit with the SB 15 pack (it's snowmobile specific) and I find it offers a reasonable amount of storage for essential items, while keeping the shovel/probe on the outside thus offering easy access and helping to keep the other items in my pack snow-free and dry. In addition, the ABS Vario system is modular and allows you the opportunity to change the size of your pack as conditions warrant by simply purchasing an additional zip-on storage compartment (I think they cost about $150.00) without having to re-purchase the airbag components. I could have purchased an Escape 15 for cheap, but after careful consideration I decided to spend the extra money and get something a little more versatile in case I need more (or less) storage in the future.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is it about the fit you don't like? I am considering the avi vest

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i forgot about the snow-in-pack problem i had with the BCA when i used my shovel them put it back in the pack. I tried to wipe it off but my extra shirt i had in there was wet at the end of the day.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is it about the fit you don't like? I am considering the avi vest

It just doesn't fit my body. I find it's too long but at the same time it's too tight around my body. I'm 5'9 and about 150. Other than that I like the pack

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It just doesn't fit my body. I find it's too long but at the same time it's too tight around my body. I'm 5'9 and about 150. Other than that I like the pack
gotcha. how are they for storage? lots of pockets? that's the downside that I could think of, wearing it over your jacket making it difficult to reach your pockets

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do find it a bit annoying when I have to take it off to get into it. Can't fit it over my helmet so it's not as quick as a back pack. I have the impact vest so I have no pockets on the front of it. There is enough storage in it for me for sure. I came from using the HMK pack and I think it has just a bit less main storage than the HMK. The problem I have is because it's too tight already I can't actually put much in it. I don't like how there's no external shovel storage on it either. Thought I could get used to it but it's annoying, again going back to the fact I have to take my helmet off to get it off or get someone to grab the shovel for me

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the 30l pack? I've seen that one could put the shovel on the outside. I don't mind the handle inside but would like to have the blade outside

PJ440x

Reaction score
What's with the new Brp avy pack?? I guess they teamed up with ABS and made a pack??

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yea I guess I have a medium Impact vest for sale now

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the 30l pack? I've seen that one could put the shovel on the outside. I don't mind the handle inside but would like to have the blade outside

I have the ABS 15 and have never had an issue keeping an SOS blade on the outside of the pack. My probe is inside of my handle which does go partially inside the pack but takes up very little space. I am also able to keep everything in my pack to get me through a night or two on the mountain. If you want to keep both the shovel and the handle on the outside of the ABS 15 pack why not consider something that folds up like the or the . My man has been using the Grizzly shovel for a few years with his ABS 15 and seems to like it.

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an ABS 5L!! Talk about no storage space. But I didn't want anything too big cause in small and didn't want to be weighed down. I do love the shovel on the outside! I never get any snow into my bag at all. The only problem I find is the airbags are held in with Velcro and when I'm really awesome and fall down a mountain, hill, slope, slant, straight anything really lol sometimes snow gets into the Velcro and i can't do it up for the ret of the day. I've never had a problem with the air bag coming out or anything though. I bought storage for my sled so it takes the weight off my back so I can move more freely. Very comfortable and form fitting though. Even when rolling down mountains....

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do find it a bit annoying when I have to take it off to get into it. Can't fit it over my helmet so it's not as quick as a back pack. I have the impact vest so I have no pockets on the front of it. I don't like how there's no external shovel storage on it either. Thought I could get used to it but it's annoying, again going back to the fact I have to take my helmet off to get it off or get someone to grab the shovel for me

I've been trying to choose between the Avivest & the new Snowpulse vest. I think this may have made my decision for me. Thankyou!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to choose between the Avivest & the new Snowpulse vest. I think this may have made my decision for me. Thankyou!

I love my Snowpulse vest Moyie. No more searching for straps to put through your legs. Just put it on and zip it up!

Top Bottom