Abcbcsf

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looks like ABC and BCSF are getting closer to a merger. What should the new name be
ABSF
BCBC
ABTTWOA (A Bout Time There Was One Association);)

On a serious note, doo you know how much it would cost to set up a newly named organization with the changing of all the government contracts/agreements, web site changes, letterhead, legal identities, banners, tents, trailers, new vests/jackets, new trail passes, new signage, etc., etc.?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a serious note, doo you know how much it would cost to set up a newly named organization with the changing of all the government contracts/agreements, web site changes, letterhead, legal identities, banners, tents, trailers, new vests/jackets, new trail passes, new signage, etc., etc.?

A lot. Which is why bcsf is just fine

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot. Which is why bcsf is just fine
It won't be cheap, but I feel the name needs to represent the regions of both clubs. This will solidify the commitment to protecting the interests of the new merged club in the eyes of it's members and the government and make it stronger IMO.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It won't be cheap, but I feel the name needs to represent the regions of both clubs. This will solidify the commitment to protecting the interests of the new merged club in the eyes of it's members and the government and make it stronger IMO.

The BCSF has served the provincial and national needs of snowmobilers for going on 50 years, albeit, with a few hick-ups along the way, and is very representative of the regions throughout the province. Change is sometimes good, but IMHO, the name change would be taking away from programs for snowmobilers; like money well spent on fighting caribou closures for an example.

It is the same people doing the volunteering, whatever the name, and a name change isn't going to bring in more volunteers. It is only going to spend needless money.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we all owe MOMMA a huge thank you as she has been working incredibly hard on this. You wouldnt believe the number of hours (VOLUNTEER hours) she has spent and the crap she has had to take. So if you see her at the sled show.......give her a hug, high five, slap on the arse.....whatever you feel comfortable with. One united club is good for everyone.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BCSF has served the provincial and national needs of snowmobilers for going on 50 years, albeit, with a few hick-ups along the way, and is very representative of the regions throughout the province. Change is sometimes good, but IMHO, the name change would be taking away from programs for snowmobilers; like money well spent on fighting caribou closures for an example.

It is the same people doing the volunteering, whatever the name, and a name change isn't going to bring in more volunteers. It is only going to spend needless money.
Agree with that. BCSF makes sense. Having British Columbia in the name makes sense.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we all owe MOMMA a huge thank you as she has been working incredibly hard on this. You wouldnt believe the number of hours (VOLUNTEER hours) she has spent and the crap she has had to take. So if you see her at the sled show.......give her a hug, high five, slap on the arse.....whatever you feel comfortable with. One united club is good for everyone.

Ok now all the butt slapping is starting to make sense!!!! That was a wonderful weekend. It was amazing to feel the love and support from so many people. Not going to lie, it has gotten mighty stressful along the way, but in my opinion so worth it. To see the potential of one voice really ignites a passion in me, giving me so much hope for our future. The future of our sport. Many clubs, individuals, and industry people took the time to share their views and thoughts of one organization. The potential for what we can do is limitless I feel. Some are hung up on the name, but I would like to focus on what we can do, rather than simply what the name would be. Maximizing resources, helping our clubs with membership stimulus and support, having a powerful voice in the face of government, and a greater impact on safety and stewardship. This is the future, our future. Together we are making choices that can solidify our sport for the long term.
Big thank you to everyone who took time to talk on the weekend. I spent quite a bit of time with Dennis Burns from the CCSO, which really put life into perspective for me. To realize how much support is truly out there gives me hope for a stronger and brighter future.
Big hugs my friends... lets rock this 2014/2015 season!
10309705_10152464615877993_1831775261411550321_n.jpg
1016817_10152467509552993_2058290563291153438_n.jpg
6268_10152852461791757_7741011192279736453_n.jpg

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the coordinator for the BCSF's LetsRideBC program and a past director, it's really exciting to see one organization is a reality in the very near future. We have to be one for the longevity and betterment of our sport and the BCSF is seeing some valuable new partnerships formed with BC clubs for this coming season because more and more clubs are wanting one voice. As for a name change or wasting valuable money or resources on even considering it, it's not a financially viable option. We can't take money from sledders to make new logos and letterhead and everything else that goes with creating a new brand. It was requested and research was done to appease the request but $100,000 and the energy and effort it takes isn't worth it, not when we have more valuable and useful places to put snowmobilers money. The people, energy and goals are what matter not the name. That's the joy of Non Profit Organizations, you can make it what you want by having the right people in place, if things don't work change the people, not the name. The BCSF is 50 years old in 2015 and, despite hiccups very much in the past, the new BCSF Team is a solid, proactive and an extremely talented group. The name is respected in Gov't which is invaluable at this time, and there are strong partnerships, programs and funding in place and we are well into plans for the 50 year anniversary - a name change can't be a consideration - the costs are simply too astronomical and the time and energy is needed elsewhere.

With the LetsRide BC brand we have some very large, never before done in organized sledding, plans in the works for this season. We would love to see ABC clubs onboard and all of us working together, and while we have to keep on keeping on regardless of ABC club's positions, we do have room on the bandwagon as we head to take organized sledding to a whole new level. A new game and a new playing field for that matter. :)

Trish, I know you know where I stand on all this :) and those who know the importance of putting priorities before personalities appreciate your effort and what you've endured in your attempt to inform your membership of the necessity, now more than ever, to be one voice. You've handled it like a champ. It is being proven every year that two is making us weaker as an industry sector and we will never gain the momentum we need to fight those who are working against motorized recreation in the backcountry. There are groups getting a significant amount of funding for the sole purpose of keeping the backcountry non motorized. Every year trails are being closed and riding areas are being shrunk. Our industry is huge and brings a tremendous amount of positive health, social and family benefits along with an enormous amount of economic support to many communities and businesses. Let's show or strengths and not our weaknesses.

Cheers to everyone in organized sledding whether you pay a membership, attend one meeting a year, spend your spare evenings on a groomer, weekends hauling wood or are active on executives and take care of the business of your club, each and every minute you put in to this sport is invaluable. It's this extra involvement that makes someone who rides a sled into a true sledder in every sense of the word. Snowmobiling is like any other relationship, the more you put into it the more you reap the benefits. Let's do this. For the love of something that each and every one of us on here couldn't live without, let's make sledding stronger and better than it's ever been or we ever thought possible. All that is in our way is ourselves. So, let's get out of our own way, It's GO Time!

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ABCSF

Slight change to the acronym, definitively represents the areas represented in the title.
If someone was to say to me BCSF, I don't think about Crowsnest Pass. I don't believe most of the public would either. They see BCSF and think British Columbia only.

If you guys want this merger to work and last, change the name-show commitment!!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I think of Crowsnest Pass I think Alberta. (Bellvue, Hillcrest, Blairmore, Coleman).

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand the cost to change for either group if a merger happens

But if it's this much change as in the group , the people ect

The name has to reflect new.new.new

Just my thoughts

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
ABCSF

If someone was to say to me BCSF, I don't think about Crowsnest Pass. I don't believe most of the public would either. They see BCSF and think British Columbia only.

Isn't that how it is supposed to work! ASA (Alberta Snowmobile Association) is responsible for the Crowsnest Pass and the Crow Snow Riders are the Alberta club that operates on the Alberta side of the border. On the other hand, Corbin is in BC and the Corbin Country Club is responsible and operates the managed trail agreement south along the eastern part of BC. Their headquarters, so to speak, are out of Brooks and they are a member of the BCSF.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand the cost to change for either group if a merger happens

But if it's this much change as in the group , the people ect

The name has to reflect new.new.new

Just my thoughts

The people shouldn't be changing anytime soon Tex, when you get a team that can focus on issues, policies, procedures and projects and not personal agendas or decisions based on personal opinion, you keep them - this is not a common found thing in NPO. There has been a strong goal of forging a team focussed on the matters at hand, there are no personal agendas and the BCSF is stronger than ever and keeping on keeping on. Change happens as growth and development happens, you don't change your business name just because you start to do well, or find better ways to do things, or have better employees…you just build and develop your brand. At this point, people/clubs can decide what they want, but it's going forward with strong momentum regardless. A name change would only be to satisfy a small number of individuals who have a pride issue with going 'back' to the BCSF or have a personal issue with someone/something related to it, it would be a personal decision not based on policy or procedures or economic sense. There is absolutely no financial sense to it, nor is there any substantiating research or data that would back a non profit name change. We know what this entails as the CAC just underwent the rebranding. It is simply not worth it. Let's put our money and energy where it matters, in making snowmobiling clubs stronger and our sport more respected in the big picture for what it offers people and communities. :) The organization is 50 years strong this coming season, you don't walk away from that. We'd be a joke to the higher powers and lose power along the way. I realize this might be difficult to understand, but this isn't being taken lightly and there are facts backing why these decisions are made.

I want you to know that this conversation isn't coming from lack of experience or knowledge. I am a marketing professional with some decent business knowledge, experience and success. I have built and developed brands for profit and for non profit, I do know what I am talking about, and not just blowing smoke. My part in LetsRideBC is to bring this experience and knowledge to the Non profit arena, via the LRBC brand working together with the BCSF. I have spent the last few years adapting my experience and knowledge to the non profit sector and am bringing that to the table for this season. Clubs can chose to be part of the Lets Ride BC program or not, if they are then we will be offering professional marketing projects, business development, leadership training, recruiting and rewarding programs for volunteers. We are going to help clubs grow, be stronger…all from a business perspective. The excitement around this project is amazing, outside of the BCSF, the other provincial organizations are stoked, they see us leading the way for change across the board in how non profits operate. We are making Clubs Cool again, and as a result they will have more volunteers, more support from their communities and be in a stronger financial position. The clubs that desire to stay the same and operate on a small scale, and aren't into change, can stay how they are and not participate in the Lets Ride BC programs, but the clubs that want change, want more volunteers and that buy in to the program are going to be part of something groundbreaking and be the driving force of changing the momentum in snowmobiling in BC. :cool:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The merger will be a long process and from the point of view of the present director's on the BCFS board, there will be no name change. As said several times earlier, it is too expensive and not in the best interests of snowmobiling nor snowmobilers to spend that amount of money on a name change at this point in time. What happens in the future is anybodies guess.

The BCSF is the recognized organization of the Canadian Congress and the BCSF will move forward and organize the changes in the best interests of member clubs and most snowmobilers. In the mean time, there is mega work to doo.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
The people shouldn't be changing anytime soon Tex, when you get a team that can focus on issues, policies, procedures and projects and not personal agendas or decisions based on personal opinion, you keep them - this is not a common found thing in NPO. There has been a strong goal of forging a team focussed on the matters at hand, there are no personal agendas and the BCSF is stronger than ever and keeping on keeping on. Change happens as growth and development happens, you don't change your business name just because you start to do well, or find better ways to do things, or have better employees…you just build and develop your brand. At this point, people/clubs can decide what they want, but it's going forward with strong momentum regardless. A name change would only be to satisfy a small number of individuals who have a pride issue with going 'back' to the BCSF or have a personal issue with someone/something related to it, it would be a personal decision not based on policy or procedures or economic sense. There is absolutely no financial sense to it, nor is there any substantiating research or data that would back a non profit name change. We know what this entails as the CAC just underwent the rebranding. It is simply not worth it. Let's put our money and energy where it matters, in making snowmobiling clubs stronger and our sport more respected in the big picture for what it offers people and communities. :) The organization is 50 years strong this coming season, you don't walk away from that. We'd be a joke to the higher powers and lose power along the way. I realize this might be difficult to understand, but this isn't being taken lightly and there are facts backing why these decisions are made.

I want you to know that this conversation isn't coming from lack of experience or knowledge. I am a marketing professional with some decent business knowledge, experience and success. I have built and developed brands for profit and for non profit, I do know what I am talking about, and not just blowing smoke. My part in LetsRideBC is to bring this experience and knowledge to the Non profit arena, via the LRBC brand working together with the BCSF. I have spent the last few years adapting my experience and knowledge to the non profit sector and am bringing that to the table for this season. Clubs can chose to be part of the Lets Ride BC program or not, if they are then we will be offering professional marketing projects, business development, leadership training, recruiting and rewarding programs for volunteers. We are going to help clubs grow, be stronger…all from a business perspective. The excitement around this project is amazing, outside of the BCSF, the other provincial organizations are stoked, they see us leading the way for change across the board in how non profits operate. We are making Clubs Cool again, and as a result they will have more volunteers, more support from their communities and be in a stronger financial position. The clubs that desire to stay the same and operate on a small scale, and aren't into change, can stay how they are and not participate in the Lets Ride BC programs, but the clubs that want change, want more volunteers and that buy in to the program are going to be part of something groundbreaking and be the driving force of changing the momentum in snowmobiling in BC. :cool:

Very Very well said!! And very true!!

Top Bottom