A Well Reasoned Stand on Trans Mountain

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It puzzles me why the world has a problem with our heavy crude when there are other oil sand operations in the world that we also get our oil from. Even California has its sandy tar pits.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I understood this project better than most (and I do) but I still learned a couple things from that article. Thanks for sharing, let's get this thing going and then build Energy East as well to reduce/end our reliance on foreign oil from countries with terrible human rights records.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article, a very good read! It is unbelievable just how much oil goes into everything that we have in this life. Everyone just thinks of gas and diesel for vehicles, but it is in almost all physical items we use daily.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article, a very good read! It is unbelievable just how much oil goes into everything that we have in this life. Everyone just thinks of gas and diesel for vehicles, but it is in almost all physical items we use daily.
Oil is in everything but I am not so sure that is always a good thing. All those plastics in useless product packaging, plastic bags etc. really start to get annoying if you take the time to notice them. Saw an article that suggested some huge number (I think in the billions) of tons of plastics have been made and 60% is discarded within a month or so of manufacture. I think we could do better as consumers and insist on less packaging. A token start. I hate those thick clear plastic cases that require shears to cut they put on staple guns for instance.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Oil is in everything but I am not so sure that is always a good thing. All those plastics in useless product packaging, plastic bags etc. really start to get annoying if you take the time to notice them. Saw an article that suggested some huge number (I think in the billions) of tons of plastics have been made and 60% is discarded within a month or so of manufacture. I think we could do better as consumers and insist on less packaging. A token start. I hate those thick clear plastic cases that require shears to cut they put on staple guns for instance.

we need to do a better job of recycling plastics, for sure!!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we need to do a better job of recycling plastics, for sure!!
Better at recycling for sure but so much of it just isn't necessary in the first place. Pretty amazing what can be made from it though. Look at your car, toys well everything really. Plastic is a big part of it. For example, an incredibly thick plastic cover on tools so it is easy to display in a store isn't a good use for it IMO

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I can hold my purchased items I always refuse a bag. Sometimes the cashier looks at me funny but whatever...... makes me feel I am doing my part. Recently I bought a bracelet for each of my daughters from a non-profit organization call 4Ocean. For $20 donation they will send you a bracelet made from the plastic they harvested in the ocean and will guarantee another 1 lb of plastic taken out of the oceans. Great cause!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the direction. Web address is www.4ocean.com.

if I can hold my purchased items I always refuse a bag. Sometimes the cashier looks at me funny but whatever...... makes me feel I am doing my part. Recently I bought a bracelet for each of my daughters from a non-profit organization call 4Ocean. For $20 donation they will send you a bracelet made from the plastic they harvested in the ocean and will guarantee another 1 lb of plastic taken out of the oceans. Great cause!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s absolutely sickening when you see some of the footage of the amount of plastic and crap that is floating in the oceans. The technology exists for biodegradable packaging materials, and it should be pushed that its use be implemented. We also have to face the facts that most western countries have a reasonably good handle on keeping most garbage out of the water off our coasts. It’s the third world that dumps most of the trash directly or gets washed into the oceans from their filthy countries. All the enviro wack jobs need to get on a plane and go to where most of the trash comes from to clean up and educate over there. Lecturing us here is energy spent better elsewhere.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess a lot of the blow molded over packaging is the most cost effective measure against shop lifting... make it big and its hard to conceal. However I do agree that it is extremely frustrating disposing of more packaging than the actual item that you purchased was made out of.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
it’s absolutely sickening when you see some of the footage of the amount of plastic and crap that is floating in the oceans. The technology exists for biodegradable packaging materials, and it should be pushed that its use be implemented. We also have to face the facts that most western countries have a reasonably good handle on keeping most garbage out of the water off our coasts. It’s the third world that dumps most of the trash directly or gets washed into the oceans from their filthy countries. All the enviro wack jobs need to get on a plane and go to where most of the trash comes from to clean up and educate over there. Lecturing us here is energy spent better elsewhere.

i know flooding and tsunami's cause a lot of garbage/trash/plastics into oceans(and montreal and victoria sewage ;) ) ... I've seen rain flooded rivers through mexican towns and the river and outlet and through the ocean a trail of plastics/trash probably 10 miles long.... Not a good site

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately its not just 3rd world countries guilty of throwing their garbage anywhere they please. Take a summer ride on the quad or sxs up Mt Ida in Salmon Arm. Such a shame people changing their oil on the ground and leaving filters etc behind. Lots of mattresses and household garbage too. I just don't get some people!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately its not just 3rd world countries guilty of throwing their garbage anywhere they please. Take a summer ride on the quad or sxs up Mt Ida in Salmon Arm. Such a shame people changing their oil on the ground and leaving filters etc behind. Lots of mattresses and household garbage too. I just don't get some people!

That sucks. Sounds like locals crapping in their own nest.

Top Bottom