A look at the big pic.

SnowBuggy

Reaction score
This is a small look at a really big pic. it has been ongoing for years and has accelerated over the last couple The media has made statements that the previous 3 times the ***professional ski guides*** were out on the same mountain with no signs of danger. Then on the 4th trip tradgedy strikes. Because of the numbers, things have been down played. But with the numbers involved with sleds it is cause for attack. There is a large number of sledders who have enough time experience and training to consider them professionals. You can be guaranteed that alot of them were sure a mountain was safe. You can't controll nature, you could ride the same area all year not have a problem until the next ride, just like the skiers. The avy warnings are out and they are still high. But when you ride or ski the steep and deep there will always be the potential for an avy. It's the risk you take it can't be controlled short of staying off the mountain. And really? who wants to do that. You can train people to be aware and know how to rescue until they can do it with their eyes closed. But at the end of the day the mountain will do what it wants. This isn't saying training is not a good thing it is and highly recommend it. But only those who want to participate will. How can you force someone to take a 2-3 day course. Or how can you cram 2-3 day course in to one day and have people get something out of it. The next issue to be looked at and has already been talked about, is with the rcmp looking to lay charges are clubs etc. really going to stick their necks out with this. Liability issues have become a big thing in Canada the last few years. Ultimatley people have to step up and be responsible for themselves. Dealers,clubs, etc. can post info to make people aware they should have training but from there it is up to the individual.. If comes to the goverment stepping in likley going to see licences required etc. which i guess ok so long as the money goes where it should. But what does that really do unless the only way you get a licence is with taking the course and then what happens when an avy strikes again..

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of peps in the back country who do not belong there. I am talking about the untrained and the stupid ones. I believe we will never fix stupid but we can force every one to be trained. I see it as only a matter of time until AST1 training is manditory for back country access along with a licience (like the boater's one) and a really big bright serial number for your sled stating that training has been done. First Aid CPR may need to be included.
You can not expect a person to pay for a rescue as most won't have the ability to pay and why penilize the widow and children, but I do see a fine system up and comming. This will partially fix the stupid part when it happens a couple times.
After the wife and kids sledding is the next passion in my life. Don't think for a minute I want drastic change but I do not at this time see any other way to reduce the number of incidents as I am realistic and khow they will never be eliminated. I only hope that there is input allowed from the sledding community to insure the changes are meaningful. More fees won't save a single life.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Ultimatley people have to step up and be responsible for themselves. " Well said snowbuggy!!

Oregongirl

Reaction score
There needs to be equality amongst ALL backcountry users!

There is another sledder missing on Pemberton.

This is the comment that makes my blood boil....

"The public is reminded to use caution when entering the backcountry on snowmobile and to make sure they are properly equipped for winter conditions and are aware of current avalanche hazards."

Targeting one user group like this needs to stop! :nono:

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote:
"There is a large number of sledders who have enough time experience and training to consider them professionals."

To become a ski guide, an "ACMG" guide, A person needs several hundred days in the mountains to become an assistant ski guide. Then you have to work in the industry, apprenticing under a certified guide for a min of another two years, while taking several different courses worth $1000s. Then you have to challenge a very tough final guides exam which has a substantial failier rate. I don't think many sledders have the same qualifications.
These AST courses are just a drop in the bucket as far as travelling safely in avy terrain is concerned. The "commercial operations SHOULD have that kind of regulation. If a person was out guiding sledders in avy terrain they SHOULD have the same qualifications as well. A "recreational" backcountry user, whether it is a sledder or a skier should be responsible for themselves and not be regulated the same as a commercial operation. In Europe, they charge you for the rescue and there is rescue insurance you can buy to cover your ass if you need to be rescued. It is big business. There is a huge population difference there, Chamonix France they keep a chopper (or choppers in the summer, its busiest time) in the air or perched up high at all times during the day for a quick rescue. People die there all the time. I don't know the answer, I wish the gov and the media would just stay out of it though. It is so hypocritical to hear people say we shouldn't take risks by being in the mountains. There is risk in everything we do as many people have clearly pointed out. I don't believe regulations or licensing are the answer.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right. Do we need special licenses to drive when it snows out or when the roads are icy. These conditions kill people too. Education and common sense will get you home safe.

Top Bottom