A little advice on Video Editing

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting the GOPRO HD

I can edit the videos fine, but sharing them is a pain with youtube and crackbook taking well over 2hrs to upload a 5min video

Is there an easier or quicker way ?

thanks
c

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting the GOPRO HD

I can edit the videos fine, but sharing them is a pain with youtube and crackbook taking well over 2hrs to upload a 5min video

Is there an easier or quicker way ?

thanks
c

X2 Waiting on answer as I too bought the same camera

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my adobe program it has selections for what you want to do with the videos after you edit, either burn to dvd or share via youtube etc. it degrades the quality and shrinks the file so that it will upload easier. HD videos will take a while to load because of their size.

smc

Reaction score
your internet upload speed is probably playing a big part in how long it takes. but like the other dude said, compress the video to a youtube friendly size before hand. search google for 'exporting to youtube'

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your internet upload speed is probably playing a big part in how long it takes. but like the other dude said, compress the video to a youtube friendly size before hand. search google for 'exporting to youtube'

doubtfull. most sites like facebook and youtube have upload bandwidth caps so it would be the same upload time if it was 50kbs or 500kbs if there cap is 40kbs

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which Adobe program do you use....?

in my adobe program it has selections for what you want to do with the videos after you edit, either burn to dvd or share via youtube etc. it degrades the quality and shrinks the file so that it will upload easier. HD videos will take a while to load because of their size.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which Adobe program do you use....?
Adobe Premiere Elements. has options for 16:9 as well as 4:3 aspect ratios, and doesn't degrade video quality during finalization like some other programs do. great for burning your movies to DVD in high quality.

they have a "consumer" version (which I have) for around $300, or a commercial version for like $1200.

Last edited:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at the speed of uploads...

I have shaw and it's wicked for downloading, but their upload speeds are rediculous. VERY slow.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have the gopro hd I used it alot snorkeling in the river(fantastic camera) I use movie maker to do my editing. And it downloads to YouTube in no time. My 0.02

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, the camera is awesome and I too use movie maker, but a 5min video is taking 2hrs to upload. Wonder what the dif is between you and i.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big is the file you are uploading?

not certain, as I am at work, but it is VERY large for a 5 min video. I have hit the u tube button to shrink it ect, but still was going to take 2hrs with high speed connection

Do you have a way to shrink the videos ?

Thank you

Last edited:

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
If you could have a look when your are home and post the following it would help:

1. File size
2. File format (ie mp4, avi, etc)
3. The export settings you are using when you create your video.

Saving your edited video (ie exporting it) can be a tricky process and it is hard to find a good balance between video quality and file size. It sounds like you are exporting in a format that may be a bit heavy on the file size.

It is possible to shrink the size of the file you already have (although this will degrade the quality), but I think you'd be better off getting to the source of the problem which is the size of the video file export.

Last edited:

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tried another video upload 8 min long hd wmv file took 3 min to upload no prob.

chrispy

Reaction score
I also have the GoPro Hd. I edit my videos in windows movie maker then compress them to a smaller size using the same program. Works great. They usually end up being about 120mb in size. The video isnt as crsip as the orignal format , but most people wouldnt even notice. This is a samlpe of a video i posted. Maybe took 5-10 mins to post. Windows movie maker has several options to compress the video some look better than others, and some are larger than other. Any questions let me know...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BVrgY2juBg[/media]

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
headin to fire practice soon, but can wait to try out the new ideas when i get back

videos i was first playing with came out over 400mb ? not sure it that large or not. Will try again when i get home

what site is that last video uploaded to ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom