A couple 09 XP tech questions...

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
My 09 XP has been working great, but recently I've started to notice that at idle there seems to be a squeal or vibration (possibly from the clutching/belt). I think I have the secondary adjusted correctly (brand new belt this year with 5 rides on it) with the valleys just showing above the secondary. I've heard that the belt may be too tight or possibly misaligned clutches. Any ideas on what to do to stop the squeak?

Second issue is regarding the housing for the thumb/handwarmers/starter switch. Whenever I roll my sled over (happens once in awhile!) and snow builds up around the handlebars, eventually that snow melts and starts playing tricks with the sled. It'll want to go into reverse (unintentionally) and then after awhile my electric start will not work until I pull the housing apart and blow the snow/ice out. She's then good to go until the next time. I've tried filling the connections with di-electric grease, but wonder if anyone else has come across this problem and knows of a better, more permanent solution?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant help you with the squeeling but the switch problem is common, their not sealed to the snow gets in there and shorts things out and can corrode over time, the dielectric should help. I'm relocating all my switches to the console for this reason and others.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Check your belt for wear. Does it have a stock clutch?? If it's new and shows signs of wear then I would suspect an alignment issue.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 XP has been working great, but recently I've started to notice that at idle there seems to be a squeal or vibration (possibly from the clutching/belt). I think I have the secondary adjusted correctly (brand new belt this year with 5 rides on it) with the valleys just showing above the secondary. I've heard that the belt may be too tight or possibly misaligned clutches. Any ideas on what to do to stop the squeak?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Belt is likely a little tight, when its warm the compound is softer and its grabbing a bit.

Belt deflection is set so you barely see the top cord in the secondary. From there you have to seat it with a few good revs and brake grabs, then lift the back in the air. Your track should just move a little with a little assistance from your hand. If its moving a lot, belt is too tight.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you noticed any oil or grease on the back of the primary clutch, if so you should add iso grease to the crank bearing. just had mine fail. thought it was clutch noise. but it wasn't. looks like 3000 for new motor plus.

inside

Reaction score
I would set in down in the secondary a little see if it helps.

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll check the back of the primary as well as setting the belt lower in the secondary and report back my findings. It usually squeals once she's warmed up.

I hope to get a little more feedback on the switch problem and any creative fixes so when she rolls, I'm not dealing with reverse kicking in!!! Nothing worse than trying to pull a hill and she starts to bog. :(

p.summit

Reaction score
I have a 08 xp with the same squealing problem at idle. once the rpms are about 2000 it stops, i also noticed some vibrations from the handle bars. Can this be just a belt adjustment or something else.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll check the back of the primary as well as setting the belt lower in the secondary and report back my findings. It usually squeals once she's warmed up.

I hope to get a little more feedback on the switch problem and any creative fixes so when she rolls, I'm not dealing with reverse kicking in!!! Nothing worse than trying to pull a hill and she starts to bog. :(

Never had the reverse kickin in while rolling the sled, it could be the cluster is just postioned so the RER button catches something on the way over.

Try positioning the cluster so the button is more downwards.

I've always found the aluminum bars vibrate more than steel as well.

WctDave

Reaction score
I Had the exact thing happen to my sled last year, got snow and ice inside my switch housing and it would kick into reverse always at the worst time. Had to pull it apart and dry it out with the hairdryer in the hotel room. Saw that there was a bunch of corrosion on the switch contacts and even at the base of the connector pins. When I got home, pulled the switch totally apart and scraped whatever corrosion I could get out of it then used some scotchbrite pad to buff the connections I could get to. Finally sprayed it down with a spray called corrosion block and added dielectric grease. When pulling totally apart just don't lose any of the pieces. Never had a problem since.

Top Bottom