99 to 06 GMC 4x4 trucks Transfer Cases

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you do your oil changes make sure you check your tranfer case level, I found out that my transfer case died without a whimper or a bang nothing. There is a defect that will rub a pinhole in your transfer case causing all the oil to leak and well it doesnt work anymore and it ain't cheap to replace (3 really large bills) . So do yourself a favour and check it out. This has been a public sanity announcement. Please return to your regularly scheduled program. :(

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my 04 fixed just as it was wearing thru, cost me a boatload of cash, but it takes money to make money......

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a well documented problem that conveniently occurs after warranty is long expired. every single one will do it eventually, there are more than a few kits that address the problem if you want to be proactive

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you don't have to replace the entire transfer case if its just a hole. $3000 for tcase? Installed with a reach around? You can pick up a rebuilt for about $800.

The pump rub plate should go in any NP261 series if it needs to be dropped down. If you have a hole worn into it you can buy just the halve. I think we last priced the halve for about $250. The 246 is the autotrac and should still have the plate put in but its a stupid system to begin with.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish but unfortunately the unit was done. I went with a brand new one from GMC with a 3 year warranty.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish but unfortunately the unit was done. I went with a brand new one from GMC with a 3 year warranty.
Unless you put the fix in it you're still going to have the same problem down the road. I don't think they've addressed the issue.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they mentioned something about a modification but I will pose the question to AAmco on Stoney Plain Road. Funtimes(DJ ) gave me a recomendation to see them. Seemed very straight shooters to me.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you do your oil changes make sure you check your tranfer case level, I found out that my transfer case died without a whimper or a bang nothing. There is a defect that will rub a pinhole in your transfer case causing all the oil to leak and well it doesnt work anymore and it ain't cheap to replace (3 really large bills) . So do yourself a favour and check it out. This has been a public sanity announcement. Please return to your regularly scheduled program. :(
I wish I had seen this thread a year ago. Noticed under my truck transfer case was all wet .Thought can't be that hard to fix must be just a gasket. No gasket so pulled case twice, put in new sealant twice,much frustration, stuck the truck on blocks, washed it down with brakeclean and let it run. Looked under and saw the proverbial pin hole. Seeing I had done all that work for nothing I roughed it up with a diegrinder and smeered JB Weld on it. Been working for a year now but I do keep a pretty close eye on it. Now it is nice to know I was not alone.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get lucky and catch it before it runs dry, you can get away with JB Weld on the hole in the case half and install the rub plate behind the pump. I'm well aware of this issue and check mine frequently. Didn't have any issues when I traded in my '01 with nearly 300K and my '06 is just over 200K and it hasn't reared its ugly head yet.

Top Bottom