99' 670 Summit

badour8

Reaction score
I have a 99' 670 Summit x is the motor the same in a 98' 670 MXZ I found one with no miles and sled was smashed has less than 200 original miles on it. wanted to know if they are interchangeable and how can you tell the difference between the regular 670 and the HO.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no these engine are not the same. the summit 670 is the ho engine the way to tell quickly is the color of the head. some one please correct me if im wrong but the 670 ho should be purple and non ho will be yellow.

also another way to tell incase some one has painted the head. is to remove the head and look at the pistons. ho's are flat top pistons where as the non ho is a domed piston. the head on the ho has a tighter squish then the regular engine. (non ho will have a deeper combustion chamber)

and on a third note you will need to run your 1999 stator and flywheel on the 98 engine as the 99 has a chipped d.e.s.s. key and the 98 dose not. also you should contact your local dealer and double check on the crankshaft key way. i was told by a customer who was looking for a non ho/older then 99 crank and he was told the timming of the key location was different.

thats about as much info as i can help you with on this subject. hope it helps

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure all the 670 came with a purple head from he factory
ho models have 2 sensors I believe on the carb side of the head

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fastest way to tell the difference is there is a extra sensor in the head of the H.O. that the other ones does not have.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your just swapping complete engines yes they will work but you will have to swap the tether as well and will lose your altitude compensator. And you will lose a couple Hp

Top Bottom