98 summit what kind of oil

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of 2 stroke oil to use in my 98 summit 670x.
- synthetic
- semi-synthetic
- mineral oil.
Also whats the best brand for your buck?
Thanks

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good question! they all work, maybe its got something to do with engine trouble, oppurtunity and warrenty. i like the mix. If it's good for the goose its good for the gander!

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of 2 stroke oil to use in my 98 summit 670x.
- synthetic
- semi-synthetic
- mineral oil.
Also whats the best brand for your buck?
Thanks

for my 00 MXZ700 All I have ever used is the motomaster Formula 1 non synthetic brand from canadian tire, I've used it in many other sleds too..............I have never had any issues......................

Everyone will give you a different opinion, i've been using non synthetic oil since I was a youngin(30+yrs) and we have never blown an engine. the reality of it is that It's an 11yr old sled, like my MXZ, do I/you really need to be paying $44/ for a jug of oil? I use the synthetic shell stuff from canadian tire for my 03 summit 800HO, but M I wasting my money...............who knows?

Just my 2..........

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to do damage if i used the wrong oil I didn't think it would make to big of a diffrenece which oil i used.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got the same sled in a 500,Ive used Castrol(mineral)since new,its g0t around 5000 miles on it now,never been rebiult,still runs great and strong,

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I ever used was Amsoil ..still doo ...Dominator red stuff ...

did a test one day in the shop was bored

took a light steel plate and stuck in the vise

then put regular oil on it and heated it up fro under neeth with a torch ..

everything we tried just burned up after a bit ...my Amsoil just chased it around the plate ..wouldn't go up ....just moved around so after that I was sold

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I been using Shell mineral on all my sleds never had issue my 01mxz has
5000k.m on it never problem no foul plugs no build up on the rave valves:rant:

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my 98 670 I have always used the mineral. It has approx 7000 km now and never a problem. My uncle uses amsoil, if i had my 670 still I would likely change to the amsoil cause it does not smell as bad. But I would never try anything else. Just my 0.02.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Mineral oil is fine, the only thing you may notice is more or less smoke depending on the brand. I've generally stuck with the bulk doo refills from the dealer though. This is also the cheapest option unless you buy in bulk. :beer::d

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any oil works, but it is not a good habit to switch back and forth and mix oil in the resevoir. I agree with sledderdoc, I get containers filled from my rotax dealer at a way cheaper rate. He has a 45 gallon drum and he just refills the jugs. I do use different oils for the drag sleds.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Motor oil needs are based on your motor and how you run it. Some people think that the most expensive stuff is the best for your motor, not necessarily.

I run the Shell mineral oil (blue stuff) in my sled since I jet lean and run hot on the pipes. The ash created by the burning oil helps cool the piston dome. Synthetic would probably burn away too clean for my application (no ash to cool the dome - meaning burnt piston potential).

Its all about what your sled needs. You can compensate a little with spark plugs, etc., but overall most mineral oils will do the trick. If you are seeing lots of deposits on the plugs and pipes, you can probably switch to a synthetic (re: cleaner) oil to help minimize the deposits and burn away more.

Lots of variables here, every motor has one they will run best on. If its running good on the stuff you have, why mess with a good thing? :)

Top Bottom