98 rmk 600

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just picked up a 98 rmk 600 and being that im more of an artic cat guy im not to familiar with these sleds but i got it really cheap so i coudnt turn it down, it does need some work but im curious if there are any regular issues these sleds had that i should be looking for? being a wedge chassis it seems to be a well liked sled by most polaris guys but like i said im not to familiar with them, any info would be much appreciated thanks:beer:

rick

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the 39mm keihins, you just need to know how to tune them.
Besides all the normal things with any sled, on these Poo big blocks, i would check the water pump belt, which also runs the oil pump.
You need to remove the housing where the pull rope goes into, about six bolts.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have one myself for the kids to beat up. They are pretty bomb proof. I believe that you can inspect that water pump belt through an inspection hole on the side. I pretty much just pull the cord and go. I wouldn't worry to much about problems with it if its been maintained well.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the 39mm keihins, you just need to know how to tune them.
Besides all the normal things with any sled, on these Poo big blocks, i would check the water pump belt, which also runs the oil pump.
You need to remove the housing where the pull rope goes into, about six bolts.

I agree. The 39mm Keihins work well on the 600. I changed out the pilots for ones 2 sizes smaller than stock and dropped the needles 2 clicks. When we took it to the mountains I changed the jets from 180s to 160s. My setup worked well for WOT running. If you let someone ride it that does not ride WOT then raise the needles as it will run too hot in the midrange (this goes for prairie riding as well as mountain riding).

Mine went a little over 10,000 miles before the compression stared to drop. All it needed was a light hone on the cylinders and new pistons and rings.

Have fun with your sled!

Top Bottom