95 polaris 400 xplorer starter

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far ive replaced the recoil (is it normal for it to pull back on me when I am trying to start it?), and the starter solenoid. B/c it has an intermittent electrical gremlin. Sometimes itll fire up right away when I use e start other times Ill just hear a click. So I have tried to narrow the issue down and the only thing thats left is the starter.

Ive seen a few articles/videos online for replacing starters and bendixes but those are for the newer 4 strokes with the starter mounted on top of the engine. Anyone on here done a starter on the older 2 strokes?
I was thinking of getting a starter and bendix from db off fleebay, or royal distributing...or even paying a fortune from the local poo dealer b/c I'd like a quality part.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far ive replaced the recoil (is it normal for it to pull back on me when I am trying to start it?), and the starter solenoid. B/c it has an intermittent electrical gremlin. Sometimes itll fire up right away when I use e start other times Ill just hear a click. So I have tried to narrow the issue down and the only thing thats left is the starter.

Ive seen a few articles/videos online for replacing starters and bendixes but those are for the newer 4 strokes with the starter mounted on top of the engine. Anyone on here done a starter on the older 2 strokes?
I was thinking of getting a starter and bendix from db off fleebay, or royal distributing...or even paying a fortune from the local poo dealer b/c I'd like a quality part.

I had the same one back in the early 2000. The only time i found the starter to give me problems was because it was dirty.
What i found was the O-ring seals would leak and allow water to get in to it. So after a good cleaning and redressed the armature i simply reassembled it with silicone to seal it. Never had a problem again with it.
There is very little to a starter, so unless it is physically broken or completely worn out they can easily be fixed for alot cheaper then replacing.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same one back in the early 2000. The only time i found the starter to give me problems was because it was dirty.
What i found was the O-ring seals would leak and allow water to get in to it. So after a good cleaning and redressed the armature i simply reassembled it with silicone to seal it. Never had a problem again with it.
There is very little to a starter, so unless it is physically broken or completely worn out they can easily be fixed for alot cheaper then replacing.

Okay thanks for the reply, did you just get a rebuild kit from your local popo dealer?

What do you mean by redressing the armature?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the reply, did you just get a rebuild kit from your local popo dealer?

What do you mean by redressing the armature?

No, i don't think they sell kits.
There are really hardly any parts in a starter.
2 brass bushing that support the armature, an armature, 2 brushes and 2 magnets in the housing.
Basically take it apart clean it, put a little grease on the bushings and armature end shaft. reassemble with original O-ring and silicone.
Dressing the armature, basically the armature can get rough and uneven. If you have a lathe you basically remove a skin off the armature till its some what smooth. If you don't you can use emory cloth and clamp the armature in a vise and clean her up. (like polishing a rod), The area of the armature you dress is where the brushes ride.

You could always get a auto electric rewind shop repair it???

Last edited:

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaOtp1MXPs
Was that similar to how yours came off?

I could but I am kind of stubborn and would like to learn how to fix it myself, I think I may order a new starter just incase I gibble something up.

Is it possible to get the bolts from the clutch side off without removing the clutches and that back plate?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honnestly, i did this nearly 10yrs ago so details are not good.
I do remember putting the atv on its tail for easy access to starter as it is under the machine. I didn't think it was difficult to do as most atv's are not difficult to work on. If you have mechanical know how and tool's its a basic job. I don't remember pulling alot of cover's off, but i must of. I pull wrenches for a living so removing a cover here and there is part of repairs.
If your not sure, take your time and keep your parts together and organized, its really nothing difficult to do.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spray wd-40 into the pull start hole, spray lots, mud n water get in there and rust it solid, usually break break free overnight and starter starts working. Becomes a monthly event. Starter handle never seals tight, common thing with this model. If your doing a new starter, spray the same as it will happen again soon. We even poured old oil in there

steve250f

Reaction score
Just replace starter an bendex got mine from royal distributing solved the problem gets full of mud an water through recoil housing

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just replace starter an bendex got mine from royal distributing solved the problem gets full of mud an water through recoil housing

Mine is really weird. Sometimes itll start fine with estart, sometimes it'll just click. Its extremely difficult to chase an intermittent issue

Okay I'll order the starter and bendix.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is really weird. Sometimes itll start fine with estart, sometimes it'll just click. Its extremely difficult to chase an intermittent issue

Okay I'll order the starter and bendix.

Most likely if your battery is up to par and connection's are good, it will have a bad spot on the armature, like a burnt or flat spot. Not uncommon, a low or weak battery will cause this. A fresh battery will not fix, it is permanent and can only be fix by armature dressing or replace.
This will cause an intermittent no start but solenoid will activate(click) when starter button is pushed.

Other thing's that can cause this are, worn brushes, hanging up brushes, weak brush spring, accumulation of dirt in starter, water.
Anything that will stop current flow or cause resistance between the brushes and the armature will cause this.
Or burnt out solenoid contact's. A simple meter test will reveal the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom