92 honda fourtrax 350

fat cat

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Here's my problem. I bought the atv new in 92 and it has always run great. I use it at the cottage for joy riding, deer hunting and the occasional field plowing ( 1 -2 acres) deer food plot. For the past 2 years I have noticed a black smoke coming out of the muffler at all times. It does not seem to burn well. I have to change the spark plug every few days, I clean and put it back in or just buy new ones. When I rev it up a cloud of smoke comes out.

Recently I noticed that it jerks and does not have a smooth ride. This monday I was out with my daughter and it just stopped. I tried to start it up....negative!!!

The battery is 95% charged.I noticed that the fuel tank is dirty and will change the fuel filter shortly. The fuel pump was checked and it works but the fuel that came out of the fuel filter was rusted and dirty.

I will clean the fuel tank, change the air and fuel filter put in new clean fuel and replace the spark plug. What else should I do before I fire it up?

Thanks gang

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely a fuel problem, you need to clean the carb on the inside, you may have to clean the exhaust pipe if it has been doing this for a couple of years, may as well do a oil change while your there. my question is why you let this go for 2 or more years?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely a fuel problem, you need to clean the carb on the inside, you may have to clean the exhaust pipe if it has been doing this for a couple of years, may as well do a oil change while your there. my question is why you let this go for 2 or more years?
It's a Honda. Duuuuh. LOL. They run forever. (no insult to the OP BTW, I'm just hasselin' Imcrackin')

fat cat

Reaction score
great question why did I let it go for so long?......I am not the owner it belongs to dad!!! so he never told me and when I would go to the cottage I would take my foreman and just go about my business. 2 years is really no more than 30 outings.

thanks for the response.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well you need to drain the gas if your not going to be riding for a while, after not very long 7-10 days gas deteriorate rapidly. ya need to drain tank otherwise it will just get worse. green mung is like concrete. happens to everyone at least once or twice.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Here's my problem. I bought the atv new in 92 and it has always run great. I use it at the cottage for joy riding, deer hunting and the occasional field plowing ( 1 -2 acres) deer food plot. For the past 2 years I have noticed a black smoke coming out of the muffler at all times. It does not seem to burn well. I have to change the spark plug every few days, I clean and put it back in or just buy new ones. When I rev it up a cloud of smoke comes out.

Recently I noticed that it jerks and does not have a smooth ride. This monday I was out with my daughter and it just stopped. I tried to start it up....negative!!!

The battery is 95% charged.I noticed that the fuel tank is dirty and will change the fuel filter shortly. The fuel pump was checked and it works but the fuel that came out of the fuel filter was rusted and dirty.

I will clean the fuel tank, change the air and fuel filter put in new clean fuel and replace the spark plug. What else should I do before I fire it up?

Thanks gang

I would check the enrichner (choke) to see if it is stuck on as that could be the problem behind running so rich, blowing black smoke and fouling plugs. If you've been running rusty fuel into the carb for awhile an entire cleaning would be in order.

Good luck!

Top Bottom