850 tracks

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread on tracks.
Track delamination is nothing new, i have been dealing with this for well over 10+years. The biggest difference now from then is no factory 3" till just a few years ago.
Only the builders were installing and running the big 3". Today the OEM are installing them on their sleds and everyone is finding out what 3" lugs are all about.
Yes, they delaminate
Yes, lugs go missing
Yes, they have a speed limit
All within the normal realms of the big 3". Now try to get warranty for a Camso, Chamoplast, Extreme good luck on that.
Over the years i have personally gone through 2 tracks in under ONE season, i have had guys do the same. That is the nature of these tracks.
Being in the mod business this is nothing from weird, its just now joe blow wants the goods and doesn't realize there is a price.
If you guys want them 3" to hold together, you better rally the OEM and you will get just that a track that will weigh 2-3 times more and suck the little power you have.

Tips on prolonging the big tracks
NEVER EVER spin them up on a stand, no load on the lugs will eventually tear the lug base.
LIMIT your trail speed, Camso says 3" lugs tracks should not exceed 80km/hr or possible damage can occur, it could even be less, going by memory.
USE scratcher's on trails at all times.

Good luck crying the blues about your tracks, thats the 3" reality.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track delamination is nothing new, i have been dealing with this for well over 10+years. The biggest difference now from then is no factory 3" till just a few years ago.
Only the builders were installing and running the big 3". Today the OEM are installing them on their sleds and everyone is finding out what 3" lugs are all about.
Yes, they delaminate
Yes, lugs go missing
All within the normal realms of the big 3". Now try to get warranty for a Camso, Chamoplast, Extreme good luck on that.
Over the years i have personally gone through 2 tracks in under ONE season, i have had guys do the same. That is the nature of these tracks.
Being in the mod business this is nothing from weird, its just now joe blow wants the goods and doesn't realize there is a price.
If you guys want them 3" to hold together, you better rally the OEM and you will get just that a track that will weigh 2-3 times more and suck the little power you have.

NEVER EVER spin them up on a stand, no load on the lugs will eventually tear the lug base.
LIMIT your trail speed, Camso says 3" lugs tracks should not exceed 80km/hr or possible damage can occur, it could even be less, going by memory.

Unfortunately you cannot run a 3.5” pitch on a trackstand for very long without spraying the track with water. I still believe the 3.5” needs to be fully clipped.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know publicity and wanting the greatest plays a huge role on what you choose for a track size but here is a thought to ponder over.

3" lugs are design for DEEP snow and i emphasize DEEP. That deep snow season is short in comparison to the rest of the riding season.
Well over 90% of riders don't need a 3" lug track and infact i alway's recommend a 2.5, 2.6, even a 2.8 over a 3" any day for the all around season riding. If your the type of guy who puts on 50-60 rides and more a season, just saying the 3" lug is not for you. The snow conditions don't fit the track style the majority of the time your out, deep snow is a limited time during the season. Your not going to get the life out of the 3" track, well maybe if you ride like a putts.
I know many will disagree on my above statement, but most all 3" track failure is caused by limited snow condition and over track speed. See the correlation between the two.
3" tracks need DEEP conditions.
And that is a short season.

Another reason why i haven't rode in nearly 4weeks, snow conditions SUCK for a 174x3".
BTW, i started the season on a new 3" track this year, my last one made about 3500kms and delaminated. That is less then 2 season for me. LOL

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know publicity and wanting the greatest plays a huge role on what you choose for a track size but here is a thought to ponder over.

3" lugs are design for DEEP snow and i emphasize DEEP. That deep snow season is short in comparison to the rest of the riding season.
Well over 90% of riders don't need a 3" lug track and infact i alway's recommend a 2.5, 2.6, even a 2.8 over a 3" any day for the all around season riding. If your the type of guy who puts on 50-60 rides and more a season, just saying the 3" lug is not for you. The snow conditions don't fit the track style the majority of the time your out, deep snow is a limited time during the season. Your not going to get the life out of the 3" track, well maybe if you ride like a putts.
I know many will disagree on my above statement, but most all 3" track failure is caused by limited snow condition and over track speed. See the correlation between the two.
3" tracks need DEEP conditions.
And that is a short season.

Another reason why i haven't rode in nearly 4weeks, snow conditions SUCK for a 174x3".
BTW, i started the season on a new 3" track this year, my last one made about 3500kms and delaminated. That is less then 2 season for me. LOL

agreed. I have spit lugs on 2.5" aswell but it was user inflicted lol. Maybe a 2.75 is the answer

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, they delaminate
Yes, lugs go missing

3" track showed up on the t3 in 2015 model year. That's 7 years ago. Those t3 tracks had zero issues.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3" track showed up on the t3 in 2015 model year. That's 7 years ago. Those t3 tracks had zero issues.

On a production sled i guess it did, now was that a BRP sled?? I always thought of it more of a John Deere, you know tractor like characteristic. Low hp, heavy track, flat footed kinda thing. But tough, good for the long haul.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also 12 lbs heavier , and that’s rotating mass. Also 35hp less....the etec 800 at elevation
Hmm I don't think you have more hp than a 7lb turbo t3.

I think they wouldn't have to add much to this current track to make it more reliable, may 2-4 lbs of extra material. Be worth it for the durability.

Maybe this light of a track can't be a flex edge anymore.

Maybe 3.5" pitch is to much.

Maybe make it a 15" if they are really concerned about weight, I always thought doo was ok being the fat girl, they seemed to always be more concerned with durability. Not?

What does the heavy duty version of this track weigh vs the lite?

Why isn't the heavy duty track a snow check option.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a production sled i guess it did, now was that a BRP sled?? I always thought of it more of a John Deere, you know tractor like characteristic. Low hp, heavy track, flat footed kinda thing. But tough, good for the long haul.
She was the old reliable, always got you there.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand lugs tareing and belts ripping from abuse or tree terrain
but the lugs are delaminating from the base of the track
I dont mind wearing a track out but delamination starting to show itself at 2500 kms is a poor quality product
glad this thread is finally getting some traction lol

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand lugs tareing and belts ripping from abuse or tree terrain
but the lugs are delaminating from the base of the track
I dont mind wearing a track out but delamination starting to show itself at 2500 kms is a poor quality product
glad this thread is finally getting some traction lol

Hahaha “getting traction”

I think the biggest problem is guys going 100km on a groomed trail with 3” lugs. My 165 sure did get hot. Sled ran cool but the track was warm to touch and it wasn’t an alignment issue either

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was quoted $1400, $1450 & $1500 for the 9433M. List on the BRP is $1715, although I know it can be had for less.
So not much cheaper, but wanted to try non BRP. As far as I can tell, the small windows is the only difference. Durometer feels about the same.
How many km do you have on the 9433M? Like it?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sucks, but yeah it is also more than riding fast, when you are doing 50 miles per hour, the track is actually going much faster than that around the drivers and rear wheels. So much so that in slow motion the paddles actually bend backwards and then are launched forward , which is very hard on them especially when the trail is firm. Why is this a hit or miss problem? The depth of the paddle into the ground makes the biggest difference here. and no one check this, if the track sits in the snow half way, no big deal, but when it is in only 1/4 or less, this specifically is very hard on the lug and with speed it is very hard on the lugs. The answer is slowing down and being aware. cheers dave
Would bigger diameter drivers and rear wheels be the answer?

Top Bottom