850 Sportsman XP LE - jerky start

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was loading/unloading my friend's XP and noticed that it was really "jumpy." I would GRADUALLY apply throttle and hear the machine starting to rev up and once it reached a certain RPM, it would enguage and jump in both forward or reverse. I'm assuming this is the clutch enguaging late. Having never ridden an XP before, I'm curious if this behavior is by design or not???

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try mine today.
Usually I just pin it so never notice slow starts.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She ended up taking her machine to the dealership for some odds and ends and they tolde her that that was perfectly normal. Seems a little goofy to me. :confused:

deanaucoin

Reaction score
sounds like the belt is burnt in one spot.This happened to my 2009 850,as soon as i smoked the belt it got jerky.New belt and was good to go.No issues since

Last edited:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I was loading/unloading my friend's XP and noticed that it was really "jumpy." I would GRADUALLY apply throttle and hear the machine starting to rev up and once it reached a certain RPM, it would enguage and jump in both forward or reverse. I'm assuming this is the clutch enguaging late. Having never ridden an XP before, I'm curious if this behavior is by design or not???

Perfectly normal. Hubbies does the same, same as his friends, one thing I don't like about it.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the belt is burnt in one spot.This happened to my 2009 850,as soon as i smoked the belt it got jerky.New belt and was good to go.No issues since

Na, the dealer says it's working as it's supposed to. Besdies, there was only 39KM on that machine. I figured it is the way it the clutch engages but really don't have enough experience to say for sure.

Perfectly normal. Hubbies does the same, same as his friends, one thing I don't like about it.

Funny, I've watched a couple of people with the 850's and secretly smurked to myself about their lack of throttle contol not realizing that the machines just ride like that. I guess I owe them a mental appology.

Last edited:

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Na, the dealer says it's working as it's supposed to. Besdies, there was only 39KM on that machine. I figured it is the way it the clutch engages but really don't have enough experience to say for sure.

Funny, I've watched a couple of people with the 850's and secretly smurked to myself about their lack of throttle contol not realizing that the machines just rides like that. I guess I owe them a mental appology.

That is funny, I've thought the same about Grizz owners......lol:d ....Just jokes........

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It`s totally normal... My 550 isn`t as bad as my 850 with the Team gear reduction kit in it.. The 850 is like a rubber band wound up before it lets go... I`ve had no issues with it thou and she`s got over 1000 miles of hard skeg grinding action on her....

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just the stall in the primary clutch. A softer spring takes out some of that stall.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

shenry

Reaction score
When your loading it in the truck, just hold the brakes and flutter the gas and you will get all the control you need. Careful not to kick your ramps out if your holding the front brakes and your back tires are on the ramp, anyway, Once you get use to the throttle you can just play with it a bit to get those little movements you need. My 2011 850 is the same, I got used to it. Not sure about the 2012's, I heard the clutch is refined. But mine works well now that I have a feel for it.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think from what i noticed on our 550 and 850 it seems like they don't go into gear right away away until you give throttle and every thing lines up and tada away you go at least that's what i feels like to me. you get used to it just put it in gear and pin it no need to go slow.

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Wife's 850 makes a clunking noise almost all the time when you give it throttle..it seems to come from the rear are..like the diffy has slop in it..would this be the same noise? It's kind of alarming..but it hasn't broken down..at least not yet..

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried the 550 or 850 but I first experienced what you are describing on a 800 outlander with a clutch kit, I took a friends for a rip and I thought something was wrong with it (it felt clunky until it engaged). He said it was normal, I have rode a 800r with a clutch kit since then. It didn't have a clunky start, it was much smoother but it engages at about 2800 rpm. It just takes some getting used too, you have to be careful on really steep terrain. Both quads have a couple seasons on them without any clutch issues. I think it just depends on what springs and weights you run, a clutch guy might be able to smooth it out if a guy felt it was necessary. I also heard they changed the clutching on the 2012 850xp so it engages sooner but harder to do wheelies if that`s what your into.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I rode in a 800 comander last night and it has the exact same sloppy clunk. so its not just a polaris thing.

Top Bottom