850 175 coolant temps

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First ride on my '18 175 the other day and I found the coolant temps 5-10 deg hotter than my '18 165 on the trail in, the 175 seems to run around 55deg and will jump up to 62deg if you wail on it for a while, was decent snow on the way in, scratchers down and flap is trimmed but still lots there. My 165 was usually 48-49 ish and I never saw it above 55 and usually had the flap off. The other thing I noticed is that the speedo is out to lunch on the 175, boys said we were doin 100k on the trail out and Speedo was reading 88. Not sure if these issues could be related? Is there some sort of calibration through buds that could throw speed and temp outta whack, Seems like a long shot I know. Any info on this from actual experiences would be much appreciated.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes for sure the long track 175 does run hotter than 165s a full snow flap on the trail will reduce your temps buddy had removed his snow flap and had to reinstall it his high temp alarm was on all the time he said he can tell even when his flap gets twisted backwards she will run hot on the trail the 175 is a tractor and love the deep snow

Last edited:

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
First ride on my '18 175 the other day and I found the coolant temps 5-10 deg hotter than my '18 165 on the trail in, the 175 seems to run around 55deg and will jump up to 62deg if you wail on it for a while, was decent snow on the way in, scratchers down and flap is trimmed but still lots there. My 165 was usually 48-49 ish and I never saw it above 55 and usually had the flap off. The other thing I noticed is that the speedo is out to lunch on the 175, boys said we were doin 100k on the trail out and Speedo was reading 88. Not sure if these issues could be related? Is there some sort of calibration through buds that could throw speed and temp outta whack, Seems like a long shot I know. Any info on this from actual experiences would be much appreciated.

Personally trimming the snow flap is the worst idea now, either leave it or a much better alternative is to buy the removable snowflap, this allows you to run it off 80% of the time from the truck depending where you ride but when it is on, you are getting the full cooling. It makes a huge difference in the backcountry POW when off too, just ride the expert to see. Unfortunately cutting it means you have less cooling, but still no better effect when in the backcountry and now that you cut it, you have to buy a new snowflap when you do go that route.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder what else is done to the sled. Do you have aftermarket cans on the sled that can drive the engine temp higher.

Ive been running without a snow flap all year and my sled is at 2/3 bars on the trail, with the scratchers down.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont see over 47 on a freshly groomed solid trail with a snow flap on. have you tried to bleed the cooling system?
not sure if the silber turbo changed anything though.
mostly runs 39-42 in any snow which i think is a bit cold.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally trimming the snow flap is the worst idea now, either leave it or a much better alternative is to buy the removable snowflap, this allows you to run it off 80% of the time from the truck depending where you ride but when it is on, you are getting the full cooling. It makes a huge difference in the backcountry POW when off too, just ride the expert to see. Unfortunately cutting it means you have less cooling, but still no better effect when in the backcountry and now that you cut it, you have to buy a new snowflap when you do go that route.

I see where you're coming from Dave and I agree, but I had the removable on my 165 and only ever put it on in spring trail conditions and it always ran cooler. I would think a trimmed flap would aid in cooling more than no flap should it not? This 175 was a bit of a budget build just to try one out and the flap it came with was a bit ratched anyways, a new one and the removable bracket is probably the way to go.

Last edited:

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what else is done to the sled. Do you have aftermarket cans on the sled that can drive the engine temp higher.

Ive been running without a snow flap all year and my sled is at 2/3 bars on the trail, with the scratchers down.

That's an interesting point Caper, this one has a GGb mountain on it and my 165 was an mbrp trail can which I know lots of guys don't like but I ran them on several XM's and XP's without issue. Other than that though the 175 is stock motor wise, only other changes are skid and front end, this sled is more of a trial to see if I can get used to the extra length.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting point Caper, this one has a GGb mountain on it and my 165 was an mbrp trail can which I know lots of guys don't like but I ran them on several XM's and XP's without issue. Other than that though the 175 is stock motor wise, only other changes are skid and front end, this sled is more of a trial to see if I can get used to the extra length.

^^^ like he said. So you stretched a 165 to a 175 as well?

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, sorry for the confusion, I was going to undertake that task but decided to sell the 165 and found a reasonably priced 175x, it came from the factory as a 175. I just put the new baker set up in the rear and put the expert spindles on the front. I Quite like it so far.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '18 175 runs hot up or down the trail, freshly groomed or not, scratchers down and removable flap on. Just the other day going up the trail I was sitting at 2 bars from the max! No buzzers and bells going off, hit some snow off trail and its down to 3 bars in mere minutes. Going down the trail it'd get up to 5 bars but that was it, and I don't do 100kmh on the trail. I did notice that air temp plays a huge role, when it was -15 the temperature was way down. My riding partner was on his '18 165 the same day and no overheat at all, go figure!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I use the temperature gauge up and down the trail. Just toggle the gauge button and find it. The buzzer/bell goes off at 85C. With the information about BRP refusing warranty with too many overheats on the BUDS, I decided to be pro-active and shut the sled down before it gets into the "hot" range. Early season in Sicamous was a botch with the 2020 Expert 165". No tail flaps were available and there was no snow. One day, I shut down 4 times on the way up (75C and I shut it down) and that same day 3 times on the way down. Finally got a 2020 removable tail flap as they were back-ordered and there was improvement. With good snow conditions, this sled runs from 45-55C up and down the trail. Saying that, the improvement leads to another problem.

The removable tail flap for the Expert is fine until the first time one backs up and sucks it into the track!! It will always be in the track from that point on!! I have used the removable tail flaps on all our G4's and they work great; not on the Expert. I cut the bottom off this "motherphucker" as it was useless the way it was. Took a box cutter and cut along the factory line resulting in 3-4" shorter than the original. It worked great but one still had to be cognizant about engine temperature if trail conditions weren't ideal. Once we had the snow, the problem went away and I haven't even put the flap on for quite awhile now. I will see what happens with the freeze/thaw cycles as we near the spring riding trail problems. There will be enough snow on the sides too the trail to dip and use the Kuster cool down trick, so I'm not worried. I will still monitor the engine temperature up and down the trail as a safety precaution to protect my warranty.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the temperature gauge up and down the trail. Just toggle the gauge button and find it. The buzzer/bell goes off at 85C. With the information about BRP refusing warranty with too many overheats on the BUDS, I decided to be pro-active and shut the sled down before it gets into the "hot" range. Early season in Sicamous was a botch with the 2020 Expert 165". No tail flaps were available and there was no snow. One day, I shut down 4 times on the way up (75C and I shut it down) and that same day 3 times on the way down. Finally got a 2020 removable tail flap as they were back-ordered and there was improvement. With good snow conditions, this sled runs from 45-55C up and down the trail. Saying that, the improvement leads to another problem.

The removable tail flap for the Expert is fine until the first time one backs up and sucks it into the track!! It will always be in the track from that point on!! I have used the removable tail flaps on all our G4's and they work great; not on the Expert. I cut the bottom off this "motherphucker" as it was useless the way it was. Took a box cutter and cut along the factory line resulting in 3-4" shorter than the original. It worked great but one still had to be cognizant about engine temperature if trail conditions weren't ideal. Once we had the snow, the problem went away and I haven't even put the flap on for quite awhile now. I will see what happens with the freeze/thaw cycles as we near the spring riding trail problems. There will be enough snow on the sides too the trail to dip and use the Kuster cool down trick, so I'm not worried. I will still monitor the engine temperature up and down the trail as a safety precaution to protect my warranty.

There's an actual gauge for temp, lurd jazus I'll have to find that! Who knows what those bars mean!:cool:

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the sleds heat up! Trip up Queest yesterday showed that, crappy first 3k of trail, all but one Doo went into overheat. Bells and whistles didn't go off on mine until it was just about 90C, but even the shorter 165's overheated, including the Expert, and even my older 800 XM overheated, which it never did when I had it! Snow lacking on trail, all crusty on the shoulders so unable to scoop any, and warmer air temps, all no good. Glad FernieSnow directed me to the temp gauge, now I have a pretty good idea what each bar would represent temp wise. During the rest of the day sled ran in the 39 to 44C area, but back on the trail would go back up to 48. On the way down, last 3k it again rose, all the way up to 58C. Nature of the beast!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Three overheats (the 85C range) on the way up on Thursday as the trail was icy and I forgot the removable tail flap. There was no dipping as the crust was at least 8" thick. That was the thickness of the chunks we put on the tunnel. On Friday I remembered the removable tail flap and not one overheat! Imagine that! On the way way down yesterday, the trail was wet enough that the engine temp at the bottom was 40C. This morning should be good as the trail will be soft pretty much to the top. Sherm, you are right; all the machines heat up on frozen trails with low snow cover. Just that under some conditions and with some designs, overheating is a little more prominent.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yet if the engine in almost any other things ran that cold you would swap the stuck open thermostat for a new one to get the temps up to where they should be. Cat sets their temp alarm so damn low that i just ignore it when it goes off for the most part...if i didn't have the scratchers down already, i would stop and let them down, keep riding. Heck it would not be near boiling if you took the rad cap off, forget with the system pressurized.
I actually like it to have a little heat in it so its at a more efficient temp, and if I stop for 20 minutes somewhere it still has a little heat in it when i go again, or else i will ride it easy for 5 minutes to rebuild some water temp and pipe temp before I go wot to climb a big hill.

Top Bottom