800XT Outlander stuck shifter

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Kewl site!
I am an Edmonton mud hog on a new 800xt outlander. My friends and I are always looking for that elusive mud hole. I immediately went to water when I first got my can-am and was not impressed to have belt slippage right away. I got used to it a little bit by slowing down my speed and knowing when I would get too deep to accept slippage was coming. Just last weekend I found a nice thick, watery mud hole calling my name. I made it through although just barely as the heigh was to the tank. I came around for another pass and realized my gear shift wasnt working properly. I was stuck in gear and when I held myself back with my brakes I smoked my drive belt. I was able to get home by shutting off, putting it in gear then starting, no problems till I braked then belt burning. I have now got it all apart and cant see anything obvious. It is going off to the dealer tomorrow. My question is anyone else out there into water playing and does anyone have any waterproofing suggestions?

Last edited:

erauto

Reaction score
here is what you have to do, first seal the cover with bathtub silicone. next wrap up your exhaust, then snorkel the intake and exhaust from clutch. relocate them behind front cover. when you hit a hole just lean back and enjoy the ride, if your going any deeper than the handle bars, you shouldnt be there. do this and no more belt problems, follow no one.

O2Bsane

Reaction score
It sounds like to me your clutchs are still engaded. Here is what I would check.
1.Check CVT one way clutch on drive pulley.
-CVT one way clutch was not lubricated correctly. ( if you are not mechanically inclined take it to the dealer.)
- CVT one way clutch is worn out or damaged. Replace parts.
- Check if friction washer at one way clutch is worn. Replace friction washer.

I would guess that after all the water holes you have hit the Isoflex grease is gone and your one way clutch is stuck out.
I would snorkel it if you plan to hit the mud pits. I have sorkeled 7 or 8 now and too many have asked me to snorkel there 800's. I would seal the CVT houseing at the very least. I dont know about using bath tub silicone.....I use blue RVT silicone with no problems. Start by pulling your clutches off and sealing the inner half of the CVT cover (where it mates to the engine) 90% leak water in there. The gasket they use is not thick enuff for a good seal. After you are done there seal the smooth side of the gasket for the CVT cover(DONT SEAL BOTH SIDES OR U WILL NEVER GET THE COVER OFF TO CHANGE A BELT). I also Installed a yamaha CVT drain in the CVT housing that little bolt sucks when tring to drain your CVT( I also put one in the air box no other way to drain it.) Run you fuel tank vent and gear case vent hoses to the handle bars. If you havnt changed you gear case oil lately DO IT cause the oil probly looks like cottage cheese that one way valve for the gear case is crap and its 1000.00 to have a shop rebuild your gear case. Last but not least dielectric grease every single connection especially the connector for the oil pressure it never gets dielectric from the dealership.( it is located on the right hand side of the quad if you are sitting on it inbetween the two cylinders.) I know it looks like alot but if you wanna mud ride it will save you a ton of grief and money down the road.

P.S. if your deeper then the handle bars your having a good time

Top Bottom