800R not pulling RPM

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am having issues with my sled. I can't get it to pull high RPM it hits 7800-7900 and hits a wall. I checked the raves and they seem to be working correctly, They both move in sync with each other, they open when you crack the throttle, they both are tight in the jugs so I'm thinking I can rule those out. But now that its not the RAVE's I'm not sure what it can be. I just rebuilt the primary thinking that was the cause but turns out that did nothing for the problem.

The sled runs and idles fine, seems to have good throttle response but just can't seem to get to the 8200 it likes. Doesn't matter what clicker its on just seems to stay at 78-7900. I'm on clicker 5 at home right now and I only need 5 in clemina, 4 usually gets me 8150-8200 in allan and westridge. Any Ideas of what I can check before having to go take this thing into the dealer?

Oh and its a brand new shortblock, cleaned the raves, rebuilt primary, new reeds. If its electrical I have two possible things to look at that might somehow have something to do with things but not sure how 1 the taillight wires got ripped out when I was backing out the trailer last season and 2 the fuel level gauge is always on empty with the idiot light on. Could this have something to do with things? real long shot but hey maybe??

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt deflection is where it should be and no didn't do the spring, just the rollers, buttons, and bushings. Could a spring do that? Going to pick up new plugs for it and check that too. Could the coil or stator cause something like this? Not sure how but maybe if it was weak it could mess with things?

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the spring can cause it, I replace mine every season. Had the same problem years ago

I agree. My etec was not pulling rpm after 2000 kms. I swapped my clutch to a roosterbuilt with fresh new springs and pulls hard at 7900 all day. I would try replacing the springs for sure. Weak springs will cause rpm fade, very notorious for the tra clutches. Hope this helps :xmas-smiley-018:

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Them tail light wires if there touching anything will cause a lot of wierd electrical problems , to be sure peel the little plastic strip out center of tunnel on tear and unplug there at back of seat . Trust me this is a simple thing that can cause a wack of electrical problems.

Now into raves ---
This is what I do to check raves to see if they r holding pressure , they should hold 5 lbs.
1) remove black plastic caps
2) remove each line connected to rave spicket
3) connect a hand pump ( from local Napa , lordco ) with bac line connected from pump to rave spigget , hand pump should have a guage on it , load it up with 5 lbs and see if it holds pressure , if it does then wiggle the rave valve by the nut on top if air leaked out , u need to replace the 2 little seals that sit in bottom of rave that the stem goes thru , one is and oil gasget one is the air seal .
I have also used a vacuum gauge from Napa and connected to my compressor blow gun to load the 5 lbs , turn pressure way down and just give a little burst of air and I mean little if you load over 5 not exactly sure exact pressure but u will Pop the green bellow off.
This is the only way I know of checking that the raves are holding full pressure under load .
But take care of that ripped out electrical wire.

Summit River Lodge
" The Secrets Out"

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a siimular issue with a new sled. Because it was less then 2years old I overlooked the spring. I just didn't know they could go that fast. The tip broke off the spring and i couldn't see it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

finndoo

Reaction score
It might be worth checking the secondary for broken rollers. They broke on my 08 xp and I put in high torque rollers. It may not be the culprit but just one more thing to quickly check off the list.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are the origional clutch springs in the clutches, I should probably look into those as being a potential problem. As for the taillight I will unplug that before trying anything else.

TPOWER thanks for the rave tips, I'll try that tomorrow night. I'm hoping I get this figured out, I missed a good weekend in Vale I hear. Would have loved to be there but didn't want to chance anything and end up needing to tow out a sled

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a new voltage regulator today so hopefully that will solve my issues. My old one was missing the little nipple that the harness plugs into. Went for a poke through the field behind my house and had to call for a tow home. Sled died and didn't know why. Got it back and no spark or power to it so I though stator died. Turns out just came unplugged. Hopefully this will solve it. Primary gets full shift too, marked it with a sharpie and the whole thing was gone all the way to the top

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check: TPS setting, try a different belt, fresh clutch springs and clutch wear parts are in perfect condition, DPM solenoid functioning. Good lick, Let us know what you find.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked the TPS yet, maybe thats could be it, carbs were unhooked when I put in the new shortblock and motor mounts. DPM is clicking with the battery trick. Secondary rollers were still in one piece but I'm changing those, secondary spring, new primary spring, ramp pins, gov cup, and rollers. Both clutches will be completely new now.

hopefully the primary spring works if not TPS check and if that doesnt work it looks like its going to the dealer

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried different belts, primary spring didn't change things really, the sled sounds flat. It doesnt have that nice crisp sound to it that it should have.

It seems to be loosing rpm when you hold it too so I'm thinking I'll have to go get a vacuum pump to do a leak down on the raves.

On another note its a pull start sled (with a new voltage regulator) and the battery light came on at idle yesterday and when I would switch the lights from high to low they would go out and the guages would sweep. The light would also flicker/dim at idle sometimes but when I gave it throttle it went away. Any thoughts on that?

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the raves you can just replace the 2 seals inside the rave where stem comes through , it's like $17 per side for 2 seals . They are different so pay attention when you remove them .

Summit River Lodge
" The Secrets Out"

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks T-power, I think I have some sitting in my sled parts cabinet from when I ordered a complete motor gasket set when I rebuilt the motor before the new short block. I found a vacuum pump here at school but the thing doesn't hold vacuum very well so might have to make a trip to princess auto for my own.

I'm really hoping its the raves because I don't want to start chasing electrical gremlins. Anything is more appealing to me than those

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each seal goes in a certain side down and both seals have different lips on both sides , this is a pic of how they go in , the one with grove is the bottom one , I just did mine this morning .

Summit River Lodge
" The Secrets Out"

Top Bottom