800R coolent Issue

Mikey

Reaction score
My 07 800R has suddenly become thirsty for coolent (by the end of the day it was up to 500ml every hour), the problem didn't surface until today, but a few sign's (more obvious now) point to that it has been going on for a while and slowely getting worse. I don't think it's a head gasket because we spotted some green snow on a running board at one point, so it is leaking somewhere external I believe, just can't see where. Just wanted to ask first if anyone had some suggestions as to where we might start looking, anyone else had any problems?

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Check the cap, if it doesn't hold the pressure it'll bleed off coolant at varying rates and hardly be noticable, and will be intermittant as the leak may only show up when the system is a max temperature and thus max pressure. (it would look good to the dealer unless they get it real hot). Check your clamps as well, the skidoo factory clamps can somtimes be loose, again they may only leak at max pressure (when sled is real hot). If green on your running board, check cap, bottom coolant bottle hoses and then if nothing, you'll have to remove the tank to check the coolant hoses going into the tunnel, they can leak onto the running board. Good luck hunting for it. You should not loose any coolant at all over a full season unless you overheat it.

Mikey

Reaction score
Check the cap, if it doesn't hold the pressure it'll bleed off coolant at varying rates and hardly be noticable, and will be intermittant as the leak may only show up when the system is a max temperature and thus max pressure. (it would look good to the dealer unless they get it real hot). Check your clamps as well, the skidoo factory clamps can somtimes be loose, again they may only leak at max pressure (when sled is real hot). If green on your running board, check cap, bottom coolant bottle hoses and then if nothing, you'll have to remove the tank to check the coolant hoses going into the tunnel, they can leak onto the running board. Good luck hunting for it. You should not loose any coolant at all over a full season unless you overheat it.

Thanks for your advice, I have checked as many of the clamps as I can get too, and any other obvious places. I was at my local dealer yesturday talking to the mechanic and he hadn't heard of this problem before, from anybody. Because it's still under warrenty he wanted me to bring it into him before I got to carried away taking it apart, so that's what I am doing next week, I will keep you posted.

.08rider

Reaction score
Take the air box off and there is a 3 way tee under the tank(behind the airbox)(note: to take the air box off release the tab on the side, and slide the air box off the carb boots, without knowing this it is a real bastard to take off the air box)with a 3/8 line coming off, we were riding in blue river and my buddys 3/8 line had a small slit in it and was leaking coolant. This sled was a 08' mxzx 800. We cut it back and re-clamped it for two days ride then he took it in and had it fixed, I have herd a few with this problem, easy to fix yourself, but I would let warrenty take care of it.

Top Bottom