800 RMK mods...Help!

blurr85

Reaction score
I have a 01 800 RMK.
It is stock, with the exception of a can(MBRP) and an ATTAC kit.

First thing I would like to do is:
1. clutch work and maybe drop a tooth or two on the gearing. Because if you ain't feathering the throttle when you take-off in fresh powder, you start digging to the otherside of the world:rant:
But I have no idea where to start on the clutching:eek:
Anyone have any ideas? I am all ears

2. The skiis are factory....:rant: (read his lips.)
Sly dogs, MODs, Simmons, SLP. I have heard they are all good, but I don't know what to put on?
I spend a lot of my time sledding in powder, so I would like something that floats well.
Again, what your guy's thoughts?

3. The track is a 144", and I would like to get a 159" or 162" under that thing.
That should help it float pretty good.
I have notice that a lot of guys have drop brackets and I was wondering where in Alberta a guy could buy some?

But my main concern at the moment is with the clutching, gearing and skiis.

Thanks in advance for the help:)

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything on your clutch unless their is something wrong? I was told the clutch you should have on your sled is one of the better clutches out their. I have a few mods done to my sled and mine buzzes right at 8100 pretty much wherever i want it to go and it gets up their fast. If your looking to mod this sled I would really look into trying to shed some weight off of it. The skis are a great idea, I'm currently on the Simmons flex ski (the original) simmons ski that came out. havn't had a problem with them. They are a great ski in the powder and on the trail, a great mod that is cheap for this sled is removing your sway bar from your skis, this allows your skis to work independantly from each other, and do not work against each other when your in the powder. It is cheap all you need is a grinder or a hacksaw, and you same approx 1-2lbs lol. Remove the sway bar, buy some simmons skis, and remove your guts out of your airbox, let it breath, you will notice huge results and not even have to spend money. Save your money for a "avid" chaincase, and a newer suspension setup along with a 2.5" track and you will be laughing. This chassis is a great sled but it is also alot heavyier than the new sleds. shed some weight.

blurr85

Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything on your clutch unless their is something wrong? I was told the clutch you should have on your sled is one of the better clutches out their. I have a few mods done to my sled and mine buzzes right at 8100 pretty much wherever i want it to go and it gets up their fast. If your looking to mod this sled I would really look into trying to shed some weight off of it. The skis are a great idea, I'm currently on the Simmons flex ski (the original) simmons ski that came out. havn't had a problem with them. They are a great ski in the powder and on the trail, a great mod that is cheap for this sled is removing your sway bar from your skis, this allows your skis to work independantly from each other, and do not work against each other when your in the powder. It is cheap all you need is a grinder or a hacksaw, and you same approx 1-2lbs lol. Remove the sway bar, buy some simmons skis, and remove your guts out of your airbox, let it breath, you will notice huge results and not even have to spend money. Save your money for a "avid" chaincase, and a newer suspension setup along with a 2.5" track and you will be laughing. This chassis is a great sled but it is also alot heavyier than the new sleds. shed some weight.

Thanks for the tips E-Zmoke!
I forgot to mention that the air box was already gutted and it had V-Force 3 reeds when I got it.
I took the sway-bar system out when I got it, it helped a bit for handling in the powder.
Did you change the gearing after you went to a longer and deeper lugged track on yours E-Zmoke?
How long of a track did you go with?

Another thought I had is would it be cheaper to find a newer chassis with a blown motor and slap the non-ves 800 in it? :confused:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 01 800 RMK.
It is stock, with the exception of a can(MBRP) and an ATTAC kit.

First thing I would like to do is:
1. clutch work and maybe drop a tooth or two on the gearing. Because if you ain't feathering the throttle when you take-off in fresh powder, you start digging to the otherside of the world:rant:
But I have no idea where to start on the clutching:eek:
Anyone have any ideas? I am all ears

2. The skiis are factory....:rant: (read his lips.)
Sly dogs, MODs, Simmons, SLP. I have heard they are all good, but I don't know what to put on?
I spend a lot of my time sledding in powder, so I would like something that floats well.
Again, what your guy's thoughts?

3. The track is a 144", and I would like to get a 159" or 162" under that thing.
That should help it float pretty good.
I have notice that a lot of guys have drop brackets and I was wondering where in Alberta a guy could buy some?

But my main concern at the moment is with the clutching, gearing and skiis.

Thanks in advance for the help:)

Gearing down will help with acceleration, but you'll lose some top speed. I think if you already have to feather the throttle to take off, your problem will not get any better by gearing down. Maybe once you get a better track on there. I would like to gear mine down for next year and try to get a couple mph in the deep stuff.

I just put a set of Nytro factory take offs on my sled and they are working great. they're 7" wide and the red matches perfectly! haha The best thing is that they aren't worth much cause a lot of Nytro guys get the big Simmons GenII's.

I would do some research on what factory track is pretty good in a bigger size and then try to get a factory take off for cheap. Keep in mind that I think with a little elbow grease you can get a 16" wide track under that thing. You could just get a 16x144 from a Doo and be just as well off ( same area, in fact.) as a 15x154.

Just some suggestions. Have fun with it.

Oh I think I'm going to build a mesh hood this summer for mine.

Top Bottom