800 Outlander Rear Diff

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled the rear diff out of my Outty 800 yesterday, tore it down, and Holy Crap! What a mess. It was pumped full of grease. Cleaned all that crap out, and found that the crown and pinion gears are flaking. Called Turple Bros., $613 plus tax for the 2 gears. Does anybody know of an aftermarket company building gears? By the time I replace the 2 rear u-joints, all the bearings and seals, it will be close to $1000.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I pulled the rear diff out of my Outty 800 yesterday, tore it down, and Holy Crap! What a mess. It was pumped full of grease. Cleaned all that crap out, and found that the crown and pinion gears are flaking. Called Turple Bros., $613 plus tax for the 2 gears. Does anybody know of an aftermarket company building gears? By the time I replace the 2 rear u-joints, all the bearings and seals, it will be close to $1000.

Grease :confused: .... Did this grease look like gray mud and smell like gear oil ?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grease :confused: .... Did this grease look like gray mud and smell like gear oil ?

It was more black than grey, looked like burnt chocolate pudding. Stunk like burnt gear oil, but way thicker. It wouldn't run at all.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It was more black than grey, looked like burnt chocolate pudding. Stunk like burnt gear oil, but way thicker. It wouldn't run at all.

It sounds to me like a diff vent or seal went and it filled up with mud which should of all been warranty had you not pulled it apart :eek::eek: seen this before. What did you dealer tell you?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

check out babittsonline.com for pricing most likely a hell of allot cheaper than from a dealer

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like a diff vent or seal went and it filled up with mud which should of all been warranty had you not pulled it apart :eek::eek: seen this before. What did you dealer tell you?

I think that's exactly what happened. The breather had a hole in the underside of it, which filled the breather shaft full of crud. The seals were all intact, there was no leaks or weeps at all. I took it in for service in the fall, but this obviously wasn't checked, and of course, the warranty run out at the end of October.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that "Mr RPM" on another forum is working on aftermarket gears for the Outtys....maybe has has some stockers he'll sell cheaper...?

Top Bottom