8 foot deck on 6'6" box

mikeo2

Reaction score
I can get a good deal on a 8 foot sled deck with adjustable legs that make it either a 8 foot box or 6'6"box. I have a 6'6" box and was wondering if there are any big disadvantages or concerns with unending a 8 foot deck on a 6'6" box?

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only thing I have found with a 8 footer in a shortbox is its a pain to duck under to get stuff outta the box, as well when there are no sleds on it you have that extra bit hanging out the back you sometimes forget about. I would suggest getting a short box deck with a removeable / flip extension.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been running that setup for years. no complaints. once you get used to not smashing your head on it, you wont even notice it lol. the one disadvantage is depending on the truck you cant get the longest ramp option available fine for sleds but atvs its a little steep. but that wouldnt matter anyways since your truck is only 6.6 dont have any other options.

JDen

Reaction score
Like Maxwell said, it's fine, that's the setup most people have, you just have to learn to quit banging your damn head on it all the time and then you're good to go!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I had but was a slightly used truck I bought. Next one will be long box crew cab

PBNFLD

Reaction score
I have an 8 foot Marathon deck in my 2011 short box dodge and I havnt had any issues at all. But my truck is high enough that I wont hit my head lol. I would reccomend the 8 foot deck over the short box deck with a removeable / flip extension, just for convienece.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am blessed with short legs and the first day of the fall once I put the deck on the truck (8' deck on 6.5' box) I managed to crack my head once. It only takes once to remember where the corner of that deck is for the rest of the season.

It is a small pain to reach under to get the tailgate down and access whatever you have underneath, but not a huge deal. Next deck will likely be as mentioned, 6.5 with a removable extension.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or get a trailer cause Long boxes are ugly...lol

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been running that setup for years. no complaints. once you get used to not smashing your head on it, you wont even notice it lol. the one disadvantage is depending on the truck you cant get the longest ramp option available fine for sleds but atvs its a little steep. but that wouldnt matter anyways since your truck is only 6.6 dont have any other options.

I have a short with an extension and without the extension it sticks out probably 6-8 inches. There's times I've come around the back of the truck and almost winged the corner of the deck with the extension off. I know for sure if I had the 8ft I'd have scars on my forehead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a short with an extension and without the extension it sticks out probably 6-8 inches. There's times I've come around the back of the truck and almost winged the corner of the deck with the extension off. I know for sure if I had the 8ft I'd have scars on my forehead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i destroyed a pair of expesive oakleys with that move once. looked up. BAM. was my first truck with a deck. havent made that mistake again. heads up lol

Top Bottom