700 grizzly issues

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was riding a friends 700 grizzly the other day.... was running fine then kind of sputtered/backfired and died. will not start again. no spark or fuel because i turned it over for a while and when i pulled the plug to check spark plug was dry. fuel pump is pressuring up when you turn the key on.

error code 12 is coming up on the screen which is supposidly crank position sensor. i dont want to just go and replace that sensor unless i can verify that i need too.

i would think when a crank position sensor fails it would still run just run like crap? or at least still fire the injectors and give spark?

been sitting for a couple days now went and tried to start again and no go.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No if sensor fails ecu doesn't know where tdc is, if it had a cam sensor also then it would start but there would be a delay. Measure the resistance on the crank sensor

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grabbed this quick while I fab up a lift kit for my PoPo,.. needed another beer anyways :)

Attachments

• 12 code.jpg
    12 code.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 270
  • crank sensor resistance.jpg
    crank sensor resistance.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 260

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year of the Griz? Some of them had factory overheating problems,

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the identical issue on both of mine with the exact same cause. The wires coming out of my stator were frayed and intermittently grounding out to the frame where the take a sharp turn around a cable stay. The cable stay is bolted to the engine block and is located right behind the dipstick access door. You can probably confirm this by jiggling it while trying to start the bike.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Going to head to the shop today and take a look at it. Going to try that first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup we ran some tests on the sensor and it's failed. Guess the stator and sensor are one peice so we'll replace both. 13,000 km on the machine I guess it's time for that anyways

looneyrod27

Reaction score
View attachment 171920

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

Maxwell, does the grizzly that your working on have the oil line on the stator cover such as the one in the picture? The older grizzlies weren't equipped with this extra oiling and stators were know to burn out causing these issues..not sure if it was 2010 or newer that they finally added this extra line. Not 100% sure but I think you can buy the new cover and line as a kit.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup we ran some tests on the sensor and it's failed. Guess the stator and sensor are one peice so we'll replace both. 13,000 km on the machine I guess it's time for that anyways

lol, I gotta remember that trick. Let a buddy ride my machine just before it fails and tell him he broke it. :)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good for you Maxwell for looking at fixing it before giving it back.

oh no i made him comee help me retreive the POS. and the most help i did in repair was creating this thread LMAO.

anyways. replaced stator and pickup sensor and it runs better than ever before!

lesson learned replace your grizzly stator before 10,000km

fairly easy job.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does this only affect 07 grizz 700s? I am looking at one right now with a 2'' lift...how pricey was the stator?

Top Bottom