7 in. drivers or 8 in. drivers

fc8464

Reaction score
This is my first post on Snow and Mud so hello to everyone. I am putting a 156 x 3 with a new K-Mod on my 09 Summit SHR880. Debating on using the 7 in. drivers or spending the extra cash on the drop and roll and getting less rolling resistance with the 8 in. Is there a noticable difference? Is the drop and roll going to have a negitive affect on my attack angle? Thanks for any help you can offer. Fred

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred I debated the same thing a few years ago.
IMO I don't think the performance is worth the extra cost of the extended case.
I went with 7 tooth and running 174x3 inch.
If you have it done i think the cost can be in the $4000 mark.
Do it yourself and most likely $1500 for extended case and would go C3 belt drive.
Welcome to forum

fc8464

Reaction score
I knew the 7 in. would work, I just figured if there was more performace to be had now would be the time to do it. I already got a small fortune wrapped up in this sled. Wont be replacing it any time soon. Now I am looking into VE tunnel extension with a additional cooler as my sled is only a 146. I think getting a after market temp. gauge would also be a good investment. Some times theres alot of trail to get to the good snow. Fred

motorheadracing

Reaction score
Looking into making this change to my beast this year. Have you had any troubles at all with your track or ripping lugs off? Do u have the old 9115 track or the new one? And is the smaller driver enough of a gear reduction or did u change gears as well? Thanks in advance

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No lugs ripped off mine and it is the older 3 inch 174. As to the gearing if you have 20/49 you will fine pending rider weight and the type of riding you do. If 21/49 I would go to 20 tooth top gear. Gearing is always up for debate and the type of clutching you prefer.

Top Bottom