660 grizzly

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope no diff lock on

What year is this grizz?

You are suffering the grizzly studder problem, which comes down to one (or all) of three problems:
  • The air box is sucking steam. The steam is coming from water being splashed on the hot engine and exhaust. Exhuast system can be wrapped with exhaust tape.
  • High ambient temperture around the carb causing vapour lock. Remove side covers to help remove warm air around carb. If this works the vents on the side covers can be opened up more and then reinstalled.
  • Lean condition which aggravates the above two items. Lean condition at mid and/or high throttle openings is most often caused from a low float level. Check the float level as mentioned in a post above.
The 660s usually idle well with the choke on until they are warmed up enough to run with out the choke; should not have to babysit it. Possibly a dirt/gummed up carb, which would aggravate the studdering in mud. Tight valve lash makes cold starts harder and causes poor idling while cold. Has the starter jet been changed?

Does the grizz have a similar studdering problem when driving up really steep hills?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
It's an '02 with the heat fighter kit installed it is not a steam issue forward works great it is always reverse as for heat it will do this in the winter also. Dunno if the starter jet(?) has been changed. So it must be the float:confused: and my choke does absolutly nothin you have to be on the throttle for the 1st 3-4 minutes until it's warm enough for the choke to take over then it will work
oh and no stutter on steep hills unless it's really really hot out +30 and up

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's an '02 with the heat fighter kit installed it is not a steam issue forward works great it is always reverse as for heat it will do this in the winter also. Dunno if the starter jet(?) has been changed. So it must be the float:confused: and my choke does absolutly nothin you have to be on the throttle for the 1st 3-4 minutes until it's warm enough for the choke to take over then it will work
oh and no stutter on steep hills unless it's really really hot out +30 and up

02s do use a reverse rev limiter. You were on the right track; install the toggle switch.

The choke (enricher) must be plugged or the cable has a problem. Remove the carb, disassemble and soak everything that is not plastic or rubber in a parts and carb cleaner. Check the number on the starter jet; it should be between 50 and 70. Before you reinstall the choke plunger, operate the choke lever to see that the choke plunger retracts and that the cable has 1/8" of freeplay. After the carb is reassemble and before it is reinstalled, connect a fuel supply to the carb. Check the float level and adjust as required. Reinstall the carb. Ask if you need detailed directions to do any of this.

Tweaker 660

RIP Jan 16,2009
Reaction score
Juice box is a name brand of a aftermarket CDI. I bought it from Yamaha for around $300. They all claim the same gains from what I have seen. When I put mine in I tested it against another grizzly. He already had one in and with mine out we raced a few times around 300 yards. At the end he was around 4-5 quad lengths in front and was pulling away on the top end. After installing mine I was still behind ( bigger tires ) but only by around one quad length and he was no longer pulling away on the top end. Pretty impressive results for $300.

660jeffr

Reaction score
On my 05 660 the reverse light will come on when I'm driving and the engine cuts out at the same time as if I'm driving over 30kms in reverse. The engine doesn't have to be reving high either. This just started and I'm not sure where to start looking. I assume it's a short or a chafed wire. Anyone heard of this?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Ya my 700 did the same thing now mine would do it in low range,the reverse light comes on and it hits the limiter..It thinks it is in reverse.It is the reverse sensor switch.iwas told this by alot of people ..And they also told me to adjust the shift linkage slightly.On mine it is a one wire sensor located on top of the tranny pretty well in the center where the linkage goes into the tranny ,,should be about $30.00 to replace.I changed mine adjusted the linkage and works great.Hope this helps

660jeffr

Reaction score
Thanks medler, I found that sensor. I unplugged it and went for a drive and it did the same thing . So I clean the connection applied some dielectric grease and so far so good. If it does it again I will replace the sensor.

JHeffner

Reaction score
Yes it is faster because it is reving slightly higher.

I know from when I worked at a yamaha dealer that float levels were problem in the 660 grizz. The genisis engines are touchy to fuel requirements. Float levels have to be exactly correct or they suffer from lost top end or they develope the dreaded studder on steep hills.

Quads come jetted for sea level and thus are way too fat for our elevation.

Big tires (read heavy), clutch kits, most exhaust systems, storage boxes, fairings and fender flares all reduce top speed.

Typically an out of the box 660 grizz will do 97 - 100 Kmh. Jetted properly with proper float level they will do 100 - 105.

Why does mine only do like 80k....never mind it had 26's out of the box.

Cowboy186

Reaction score
I seem to be having the same problem since I put an aftermarket cdi box and pipe on my 660. Only difference is at first my top speed whent up to 125kmh and all of a sudden it's been backfiring at 75km/h. I'm guessing I need to either clean my float boal or maybe even richen up my air to fuel mixture?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
You gotta look at your plug at W.O.T. first and see what the colour is,,,that will give you a starting point,.And if you have a grizzly that will go 125KPH,,you must have one hell of a tail wind!!!

freak4wheelers

Reaction score
I have had this same problem and when idle it flashes ,,, I changed the oil and it went away !! I had it happen again and checked the oil and it was thin so I changed it and it hasn't happened again now i make sure to change my oil at the beginning of every riding season and before plowing season!!! I haven't had the red light blinking issue since ,,,an I do use my wheeler hard !!
I have a 2006 660 with 1200km and recently the red reverse light flashes when I'm at top speed in high. Has anyone had the the same problem? I have asked 3 different yamaha dealers and they claim they never had that problem before.

Top Bottom