6.0L egr delete

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your Engine Oil Temp VS Engine coolant temp? The cooler is relatively cheap, compared to not changing it.

fast450

Reaction score
Truck smokes white when it is cold sometimes ,goes away at highway speed. Can drive rest of day no smoke. Took it to a dealer they said egr valve and cooler were shot. They had a bulletin to change the oil cooler at the same time. Engine temps were fine so I figure figured I would do the egr delete and leave the oil cooler alone, my buddy is a ford mechanic, he thinks it would be ok. I wonder how much extra for the oil cooler'?

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is because your already there and have minimal labor to change the oil cooler while the intake is off for the egr delete

finners

Reaction score
The EGR delete is well worth it on these engines, one less thing to go wrong.
My service truck had the exact same symptoms your engine has and after doing the delete all was good. I didn't do the oil cooler at the same time even though it is right there almost in the way when you are working on the egr cooler. A lot of people say that the oil cooler plugs up and causes a loss of coolant flow to your egr cooler which then melts the solder and causes coolant to get into your intake/exhaust system. On my truck the engine has gotten hot a few times due to the antifreeze being dumped out from screw ups by the service body manufacture so i felt that the egr cooler failure wasn't from lack of coolant flow from the oil cooler. I guess it all depends on how many miles and the history of the truck. I do not know how much the oil cooler costs but it would be worth checking the coolant temp and oil temp differential across the cooler as someone else stated and then decide. With the egr cooler deleted you don't have to worry about that failing anymore you just have to worry about oil temps getting too high.

fast450

Reaction score
I think I will just get the oil cooler right away and be done with it. I have also heard of guys having to get a tuner or check engine light will be on. Mine is an 05 . Will it matter if the light is on? Not sure if want to spend even more for a tuner.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Most of the 6.0's won't set off the check engine lite........ We used to disconnect the egr connector, for improved performance and fuel mileage, and i can't remember even one that actually set the check engine lite off....

finners

Reaction score
The egr delete kit I used never set off the check engine light and the truck is stock except the delete.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your buddy is a ford mechanic why don't you ask him about price and what he recommends

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my egr and oil cooler taken off when they studded the heads. No problems truck seems to run better in my opinion. I added 60hp chip and got 22 miles to gal driving sensible.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I will just get the oil cooler right away and be done with it. I have also heard of guys having to get a tuner or check engine light will be on. Mine is an 05 . Will it matter if the light is on? Not sure if want to spend even more for a tuner.

Pm me. We can get this straigtened out. 05 shouldnt need a tuner for light. 06 or 07 would. I used to work at ford and have my own diesel perf shop am a huge ford fan can walk you through what ever you wanna do to your 6.0

Top Bottom