580 powder special bad idle

XPeep

Reaction score
So i just got this sled (thrown in with trailer).Its a 1995 Ext 580. Heres the little background i know. The previous owner knew nothing about it. Had it for 5 years, seeing minimal use and hadnt actually started it up this season. I did a compression check and got 100 psi out of both cylinders. i changed out all the fuel, put new plugs in and cleaned it up. It will fire when choked, and once running for 45-60 seconds, will want to die (no choke). i will give it gas and it will just sputter and die. If i pull the choke when it is dieing it will pick up the idle and run idle ok. The plugs are wet after runnign for a min or two. I can pull the airbox boots and they are wet with gas as well. it has a 270 main and i dont know what the pilot is, fuel screw is 1.5 turns out. ideas on where to go now?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i just got this sled (thrown in with trailer).Its a 1995 Ext 580. Heres the little background i know. The previous owner knew nothing about it. Had it for 5 years, seeing minimal use and hadnt actually started it up this season. I did a compression check and got 100 psi out of both cylinders. i changed out all the fuel, put new plugs in and cleaned it up. It will fire when choked, and once running for 45-60 seconds, will want to die (no choke). i will give it gas and it will just sputter and die. If i pull the choke when it is dieing it will pick up the idle and run idle ok. The plugs are wet after runnign for a min or two. I can pull the airbox boots and they are wet with gas as well. it has a 270 main and i dont know what the pilot is, fuel screw is 1.5 turns out. ideas on where to go now?

Pull both carbs off and clean them sounds to me thats the problem.Could be a plugged pilot jet. Make sure the air box is clean also. 100 psi compresion is on the edge for low but it does run so i would not worry about that now get it running right and then recheck it if it is still at 100 i would confirn with a second gauge. Hope this helps

Top Bottom