509 Carbon Fiber!

big_red1a

Reaction score
I bought the 509 helment during sled show week end. Looks and feels nice but for $350 i should be able to mount my camera to the top. I ended up returning it. would have been a nice helment otherwise.

Thunder101

Reaction score
i was looking at the CF 509 and the Klim, my wife bought me a gopro so im interested on why the camera wont mount on top? thx

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the CF 509 and the Klim, my wife bought me a gopro so im interested on why the camera wont mount on top? thx
Camera mounts fine on the top of both the Klim and the 509. I personally rather have it on the side. I spend a lot of time in the trees, and sometimes ducking under branches. Rather not have the GoPro taken off by a branch.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the 509 snell approved? i remember the moto fist not being snell approved, it was light though.

if snell approved at $350 not a bad price at all.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, not sure what the ece rating is maybe something like the dot rating. wonder why they both didn't get the snell rating, it goes above and beyond the dot rating. could be anything in reality.

any testing info, would give a buyer some confidence in the helmets.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, not sure what the ece rating is maybe something like the dot rating. wonder why they both didn't get the snell rating, it goes above and beyond the dot rating. could be anything in reality.

any testing info, would give a buyer some confidence in the helmets.
ECE 22.04 is similar to the DOT standards. There is an ECE 22.05 rating that is a little more stringent, similar to the Snell rating. Not sure what the actual numbers are on the different standards, as they tend to use different shaped anvils for impact.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess no matter how they test a helmets impact a real life impact will be somewhat different, ya want as much protection for your mellon as you can afford. as you'll usually get only one chance, and i guess a helmet is only part of the protection package.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did some interesting reading on helmet testing and standards. seems that snell is doing the only independent testing on helmets. there testing standards are hard to meet and manufactures voluntarily have there helmets tested here. as in you do not have to have your helmet tested here at all. dot is the minimum requirement and must be viewed as the minimum only. the ese22-05 testing, has upgraded the dot testing standard with larger impact and safety requirements, bsi the testing agency had a few problems in the past, with testing stickers. = poor credibility. the need for a uniform testing rating in the various european countries brought about the ece 22-05 standard which is way above dot testing, and a sample of every production run is tested, unlike dot which never has to get tested after the helmet gets rated, whether manufacting materials or methods change. snell 2010, uses a tougher test to meet for standards and is tested on production runs.

which is the better standard? snell 2010 or ese22-05? hmmm i'm leaning to the independant.

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did some interesting reading on helmet testing and standards. seems that snell is doing the only independent testing on helmets. there testing standards are hard to meet and manufactures voluntarily have there helmets tested here. as in you do not have to have your helmet tested here at all. dot is the minimum requirement and must be viewed as the minimum only. the ese22-05 testing, has upgraded the dot testing standard with larger impact and safety requirements, bsi the testing agency had a few problems in the past, with testing stickers. = poor credibility. the need for a uniform testing rating in the various european countries brought about the ece 22-05 standard which is way above dot testing, and a sample of every production run is tested, unlike dot which never has to get tested after the helmet gets rated, whether manufacting materials or methods change. snell 2010, uses a tougher test to meet for standards and is tested on production runs.

which is the better standard? snell 2010 or ese22-05? hmmm i'm leaning to the independant.
From what I have read, Snell updated their tested, and actually REDUCED their standards, because Snell 2005 was too hard to attain. There are so many different methods of testing though, and a Snell approved helmet may not meet ECE 22-05 standards and vice versa.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the snell 2005 standards would never have allowed the ece 22-05 helmets to meet snell standards as they existed, looks like snell has made adjustments to allow any helmet maunfacturer to meet snell 2010, dot, ece22-05 standards with the same helmet, if they wish. i don't think snell standards are any less stringent, but time will tell.

was reading on one thread that all helmets must meet dot or ece22-05 ratings to be legal on the road. snell ratings are still voluntary.

i'm thinking either rating should provide good impact protection, above and beyond dot.

an unprotected head wouldn't last long.

$10 helmet for a $10 head

Last edited:
Top Bottom