500ho Outlaws vs Silverbacks

SaskRMK

Reaction score
Hey all, im riding a 2012 sportsman 500ho. It currently has qsc clutch kit, jet kit, k&n filter and 28" zillas on itp rims. I do mostly mud riding and trails a little bit just to get to my spots. The zillas work okay but im kind of looking into the pure mud tires. Silverback or outlaw? what sizes? I kinda want to stick to a 28" tire but biggr would be better just dont know if my will handle too much bigger. Also heard that 28 outlaws kinda sit a little more rounder than the 27 and 29.5s. Any input would be great! Also input on a lift would be great as well!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No matter what Ur 500 isn't going to turn anything bigger than Ur 28 zillas in mud.
Plus the others u have listed are heavy and going to act like a bigger tire than what they are

Either get a big boy quad and keep modding it up or stick with what cha have.

sent from my HTC while working

Fish

Reaction score
I have seen A 500HO spin 32.5 black mambas so i would not worry about size. But if it comes down to size i would choose silverbacks over outlaws. What you hear is true the 28" outlaw is chit compared to the others unless you get the outlaw 2. From personal experience i have ridden 30" silverbacks and i have to say they kill it in almost any type of terran there is. I ridden swamp, muskeg and mud and no other tire has beaten me. Its your choice but i say go with the silverback.

Last edited by a moderator:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No way can a 500 ho spin 32.5 blackys.

Mabe with a 30 shot of good gas.

Chit I have seen a 700 grizz that been worked up have a hard time with 27 blackys.

I would the only thing with the torque to pull 32.5 blackys is a 1000 can ham.

Last edited:

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find backs work better on lower powered bikes for clean out purposes. The ole lady's gade 500 has 28 backs with a qsc clutch kit and there is absolutely no struggle to turn them

Fish

Reaction score

Go watch some of ostacrusiers videos They all call him Hillbilly and he is running 32.5 black mambas on a 500HO and does not struggle at all

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen A 500HO spin 32.5 black mambas so i would not worry about size. But if it comes down to size i would choose silverbacks over outlaws. What you hear is true the 28" outlaw is ch!t compared to the others unless you get the outlaw 2. From personal experience i have ridden 30" silverbacks and i have to say they kill it in almost any type of terran there is. I ridden swamp, muskeg and mud and no other tire has beaten me. Its your choice but i say go with the silverback.

Thinkin you got your beer goggles strapped on a little to tight

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the original 29.5s.......Your 500 will spin them ll day. Not as fast as some but it will turn them.Proper clutching assumed........
Have you considered 30x11 zillas on all four ? Love this combo and allthough you might not go quite as far,your axles/diffs will love you.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Black Mamas (sp) are heavy - 66lbs for a 30x10x12... just for the tire (no rim). (according to their site)
If I read correctly, it's 7lbs for each 1lb extra tire weight on rotation... that is a lot of weight on all four corners.

I weighed my STI beadlock rims (12") and Outlaw1 29.5 (10x12) - it was 45lbs combined.

Mamas look pretty cool though.

SaskRMK

Reaction score
Go with the original 29.5s.......Your 500 will spin them ll day. Not as fast as some but it will turn them.Proper clutching assumed........
Have you considered 30x11 zillas on all four ? Love this combo and allthough you might not go quite as far,your axles/diffs will love you.

I was thinking some og 29.5s but then id have to run a lift kit as well and heard once you lift these bikes you run into axle troubles even if you have throttle control. Haven't really considered 30 inch zillas, dont see much point going from a 28 to a 30.

SaskRMK

Reaction score

Mabe with a 30 shot of good gas.

Chit I have seen a 700 grizz that been worked up have a hard time with 27 blackys.

I would the only thing with the torque to pull 32.5 blackys is a 1000 can ham.

Lake Lenore mud bog sportsman 500 vs grizz 700 - YouTube Heres mr hillbillypolaris on 32.5s smokin a grizz 700 in the mudpit. Only mods are lift and clutch kit.

cementfist27

Reaction score
30" Zillas and a 2" lift Would give you an additional 3" of clearance, which would make a night and day difference. You wouldnt add a ton of weight with the tire upgrade, and with the 2" lift, you wouldn't have to worry about axle issues as the angle created isn't too extreme.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a lift to run 29.5's... either jack up your rig and you'll rarely rub (me currently), do the fender mod, or get 1.5 or 2" forward a-arms so you don't go higher - just forwards. (Backwoods or SATV)

The original OL's are much lighter than the OL2's.

I'm going with forward arched A-arms. I did get bigger axles as well though.

SaskRMK

Reaction score
I was surfin through kijiji and came across a set of s/w 27" silverbacks barely used for 400$. Would thy out perform te 28" zillas?

cementfist27

Reaction score
They will dig a hole much faster than the Zillas that's for sure. It all depends on what type of terrain you want to ride in, and how heavy of a thumb you have...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was surfin through kijiji and came across a set of s/w 27" silverbacks barely used for 400$. Would thy out perform te 28" zillas?
In mud: yes. Plus if you measure your 28" Zillas they are probably only 26.5 to 27" tall.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Silverbacks are he best mud tire available, but outlaws are the best skeg tire and won't perform half bad in mud either.

Top Bottom