5.3L to a 6.0L

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to change from my 5.3L to a 6.0L. My local GM dealer can't tell me if can be done. Can I use by same computer? My local autowrecker said the blocks are the same. Has anybody done one let me know please.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to have a guying working for me that was making the same arrangments you are considering. The local GM dealer was going to do the swap for him. I know it included a new computer, radiator and various wiring harnesses. So, yes it can be done but it is not cheap.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how could it be the same block with differant displacements?

also the 6.0 is no super star. deffinetly not worth the trouble to swap.

IMO

have owned them all

your gaining maybe 20-30hp and 30 ftlbs torque...

unless you are talking about he 2008+ 6.0 which puts out 350+HP as compared to the 5.3 at 280 or so..

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does have a diff computer for sure and wiring. Boy that would cost a fair bit like earlier said cost would be enough only to gain is a little horse power, also the 6.0 had a heavier tranny with cooler. 6.0 was a pig on fuel also.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 5.3L is the aluminum block with 310hp 9.9:1 comp and 6L heads. My new holiday trailer is 6000lbs dry and the truck works pulling it, But it pulls @ 110km on the hiway hills kill me only 75km to 90km I think the only way is to go to a bigger truck.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that the 6.0 L is not worth the hassle, as I have had two now. What rear-end are you running? If it's the 373, the 410 would make a difference but won't fix fuel economy.

Your situation summed up exactly why I went to a diesel. I don't know if I could go back now.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gears are 4:10 and I get 19.1 mpg on my last trip to the big city(Edmonton) on propane 59 bucks from FSJ to Edmonton. Just has a hard time pulling hills with my trailer on.(its heavy) Maybe a newer truck

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh, propane. My last propane truck was duel fuel with the 5.7. The experts told me propane gave 10% less power so I flicked it to gas when I pulled in the mountains. I did notice the difference in power. If you like propane, it's tough to get rid of this truck I'm sure, as converting a newer truck would not pay back in savings for many, many years. Tough call. I guess if you can get a small engine shop to take it on for a lower rate it may be worth considering, but I still love my diesel for hauling. I pull to the max gvwr all the time and the mileage is the same as city driving empty.

Good luck with the decision. I hate selling vehicles.

dlj

Reaction score
For what it is worth I have a 2002 6.0 L with 4.10 diff.and it does a great job for me. I pull a 27 foot fifth wheel and this weekend for the first time I hooked up my quad trailer with two quads and headed to Medicine Lk.
I get close to 20 mpg hwy. empty, and yes it is a gas hog when I pull the trailer, but I didn't pay a $ 7,000.00 to $ 10,000 premium for it.
I don't pay $ 150.00 for an oil change, and if something screws up in the injection system it isn't going to cost me $ 5,000.00 to fix it, and best of all I can get it fixed just about anywhere with out a big wait.
We have F-450 with diesels in our Service Trucks and previously the Durmax, and I sign the bills for the repairs and we are switching back to gas as the mileage is no better on the 2008 than the gas pot, and the repairs and reliability are rediculous.
It is each to his own, I quite like my gas pot for what I do, and it would probably be to small if I went to a bigger trailer, but for what I do it is great.
It has been chipped, with a throttle body spacer and K&N filter, when the exhaust needs replacing I will go with a magnaflo.:rant:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, Propane the kit costs 4700. . Propane here is 47.9 and gas is 112.9 it takes nothing to pay back. Now more power on LP we inject it under pressure 3tenth faster in 1/4 mile looks good too 700km less than 60.00

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those new6.2 litres in the sierra or silverado pull verry nicely, but the denali has awd all the time so it is a bit of a gas slut. I used a 6.0litre with active fuel management for a weekend last summer, that truck has stock 367 hp and pulled my heavy boat very nicely!! compared to my 5.3 with 3:73s and it has lots of things done to it and it was like night and day

The 6.0 vortecmax on a new truck with 4:10's and that 6 speed will tow 10500 or 10900 and still has active fuel management, auto 4x4, still garage friendly and not a monster to drive around, it'll be my next truck!

Top Bottom