425 Motor quits when it gets hot

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2001 Polaris Expedition 425. When it gets hot the engine quits. I replace spark plug and it fires up and goes again.

I have cleaned and replaced carb, replaced coil.

Not sure what to do next.

Your help is appreciated

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2001 Polaris Expedition 425. When it gets hot the engine quits. I replace spark plug and it fires up and goes again.

I have cleaned and replaced carb, replaced coil.

Not sure what to do next.

Your help is appreciated

something is getting hot and shutting down..., can u reuse ur spark plug? or does it burn it out.... could it be flooding out and killing the plug as opposed to an electrical problem.... check stator wiring, for electrical, as u can test everything but the cdi, if its overfueling the carb clean should have done it,,unless the needle and seat are worn...which would cause overfueling which would kill the plug.... changing the plug seems to fix it, i would be leaning towards,, fuel,, not to often electrical kills the plug,,maybe a bad regulator....?

Good luck

Terry

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Welll, it's actually an atv that a friend owns and is completely frustrated with it.

He has informed me that after the atv heats up, the time it takes to take out the spark plug (extremely hot) and put another one in allows the atv to cool enough to start. he wants to try running power directly to it but is afraid of burning out the coil.

So electrical issue is still on the board.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welll, it's actually an atv that a friend owns and is completely frustrated with it.

He has informed me that after the atv heats up, the time it takes to take out the spark plug (extremely hot) and put another one in allows the atv to cool enough to start. he wants to try running power directly to it but is afraid of burning out the coil.

So electrical issue is still on the board.

so what does the spark plug look like,, is it fouled and black or clean or what?

the plug will be very hot as it is touching the motor, thats normal.

NOT recommend to ran power direct ie/crossing the live wire u will more than likely short something out.....not good odds....

If your getting spark, and it starts its probably not the coil, plug, wire etc.. if however it is burning out the plug than it could be a regular/rectifier problem...do all the lights work no surging of power brite/dim wheel it is running (that would indicate a short) ....

Let me know

Terry

Top Bottom