4 stroke

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have amazing response, pull like a freight train and have a fun factor over the top. A bit harder on fuel than a turbo.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on your riding style, the turbo makes more hp as the sc is limited by the pulley size. The sc has no lag. Front mount turbos have very little lag. That is a good price and the sled will be a lot of fun. I have rode both and the giggle factor on both is amazing. They will take you places you could not have imagined venturing in chest deep powder.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's always 2 camps in these threads - 1 for and 1 against. My primary riding buddy is on the boosted Yammy and he sticks it anywhere the 2 smokers go - tight trees, deep pow, you name it. There will always be people telling you what can't be done but......most 4 strokes are actually easier to ride in the trees than 2 strokes. More linear power and more torque down low. Most of them need a much better track, shocks and skis as the starting point, stock yammy tracks have been "less than ideal" for years.

People fight with the 4 stroke and think it must be sled or added weight, but never take the time or don't have the knowledge, on how to set them up for better transfer and handling. Its a different riding style because you have multiple factors to adjust too like engine braking, added weight (yes no one is denying that they are heavier...), that changes how much it will transfer to the front. The new ones are getting better but they still are a 4 stroke. You can't ride them like a 2 stroke, but you can adapt your riding style.

I've ridden heavy 2 strokes as well that were tough to set up (triples come to mind..). Once you learn to handle the sled with more than just the handlebars life gets much simpler and you conserve a lot more energy when riding. Granted if you are running a propane 4 Stroke on big lag and clutch set up for climbing, that sled is going to be a beotch in the tight trees, but so would any fully ported, big bore 2 stroke drag sled. These low boost kits with a good track and right set up will go anywhere the 2 strokes go, and with boost you still maintain full power at elevation which is a huge bonus, and the great reliability.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's always 2 camps in these threads - 1 for and 1 against. My primary riding buddy is on the boosted Yammy and he sticks it anywhere the 2 smokers go - tight trees, deep pow, you name it. There will always be people telling you what can't be done but......most 4 strokes are actually easier to ride in the trees than 2 strokes. More linear power and more torque down low. Most of them need a much better track, shocks and skis as the starting point, stock yammy tracks have been "less than ideal" for years.

People fight with the 4 stroke and think it must be sled or added weight, but never take the time or don't have the knowledge, on how to set them up for better transfer and handling. Its a different riding style because you have multiple factors to adjust too like engine braking, added weight (yes no one is denying that they are heavier...), that changes how much it will transfer to the front. The new ones are getting better but they still are a 4 stroke. You can't ride them like a 2 stroke, but you can adapt your riding style.

I've ridden heavy 2 strokes as well that were tough to set up (triples come to mind..). Once you learn to handle the sled with more than just the handlebars life gets much simpler and you conserve a lot more energy when riding. Granted if you are running a propane 4 Stroke on big lag and clutch set up for climbing, that sled is going to be a beotch in the tight trees, but so would any fully ported, big bore 2 stroke drag sled. These low boost kits with a good track and right set up will go anywhere the 2 strokes go, and with boost you still maintain full power at elevation which is a huge bonus, and the great reliability.

Good post.
I currently ride a 4stroke in the mountian's and its actualy the very first 4stroke i've ever owned. I've been sledding since the late 70's, actualy 1976 i purchased my very first snowmobile a 340 Skiroule, new from the dealer. Since then i've own nothing but 2strokes sled's in all form's and configuration's...alot of them, don't realy remember how many, maybe close to 100. Till 2010 when i bought my first 4stroke. There is no doubt like the previous post says the 4stroke requires some getting use too but once your use to it the advantages far surpases the 2strokes and not just in durability.
Majority of people realy get hung up on weight, failing to realize that weight is just another piece of a puzzle in making a good sled. I fact my current Nytro is lighter then alot of the 2strokes i've owned in the past and though heavier then the newest 2strokes being sold today the heavier 4stroke Nytro will work around trees easier then an equilvilant 2stroke in the super deep pow. Because of its smooth linear power. A smooth power a 2stroke cannot and will never make.
My current 4stroke even though heavier then my last 2stroke, actualy gets stuck LESS and goes into places that my last 2stroke sled struggled to get out. BTW that was a modified RT1000 that tipped the scale at just over 500lbs, producing nearly 200hp and 220hp on juice.
In all honnesty the 4strokes realy show their mass when the snow condition's get low or harden, then ya i wish i was riding a lighter 2stroke....but only then.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year was the first time I've owed and ridden a 4 stroke sled. My previous machine was an XP with 880BB and 174, etc, etc...with all previous machines being mildly modded 2-strokes.

I bought this machine used and set up as per the previous owner....and I'm not going to say it was wrong, but it wasn't ideal for MY riding in the mountains. First ride was HORRIBLE. I couldn't cut this thing back into the hill for nothing...just wanted to go down, down, down. The lag was HORRIBLE. The only "interesting" part was feeling the turbo power on the trail. Out in the deep, it was just unusable. Anyways...I came home and started looking over this thing a bit closer, did some reading, and asked a few dumb questions on these and other forums. I set the clutches up as per some excellent recommendations on here. I got rid of the "Daffy Duck" feet on the front (10" Simmons 2 or whatever they were), removed swaybar, rebuilt/revalved all the shocks, and added a ZBros Exit X1 springy shock to the rear of the T-sled skid. Next ride and all rides afterwards: WOW. What a ride! As some have said, in the hardpack you can feel the weight. But on the deep days, nothing compares. I don't think I could ride a machine with under 240hp now....honestly, you just get spoiled.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many miles you get on a tank with a supercharged apex?
I doubt you'll get a straightforward answer - it is all dependant on your thumb, snow conditions, and load. I'll put it this way - I wouldn't expect better then 8-9 mpg, and if it got better, it's a bonus.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on how deep the snow is and how hard you are on the throttle, but I would say on average about 100 km to the 38 litre tank maybe a bit better.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, i thought it would be alot worse that that, ive heard they only get 4-5mpg
Honnestly, unless your a trail rider there are way too many factors that come into play when it comes to riding any sled in the mountians. That's inclueding the 4strokes.
Plus if your looking into getting into a boosted sled, turbo or charged, milage on fuel should be irrelevant. Fact is power requires fuel, the more power the more fuel.
Example, Nytro's come stock with 3 fuel injectors, one per cylinder. The stage one 190-200hp setup uses OEM injectors. The stage two 240-250hp setup uses 6 injector's, 2 per cylinder.
More power, more fuel, simple but only on demand, when needed.
Another example i can give is my wife has an M8 Cat and in many way's comparable to my Nytro in that it turn's a 163" track and we run the same terrian. At the end of the day i always use more fuel then she does, not that she doesn't ride hard but i tend to ride with the turbo whirling away......why, cause it just keeps me GRINNING....ear to ear..hahaha, its where the fun factor is. Something that the 2stroke guy's will never experience or even understand....Very addictive

craptabulous

Reaction score
I own a nytro and a m1000 . Rode the nytro once last year , had a track shaft bearing blow up . Changed the bearing and didnt ride it again ( have had it for 3 years ) rode my m the rest of the year , i just always have better days on my two stroke . Easyer to ride which leads to not being sore at the end of the day . Both sleds are modded .

I wont buy anotger 4 stroke , there just to heavy . Ontop of that with equal kms i have had more issues with my nytro than i have with my supposibly un reliable m1000 .

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that while pinned my SApex is not getting a whole mile per gallon! I usually get 60-90kms per tank depending on snow depth. I got 120km/tank before boost (10psi). If you're worried about mpg then stick to stock. I pack a 25 ltr jerry can, often don't use it...I'm not riding 20kms of trail to get a riding area.

I love my sapex in the trees, zero lag and gobs of torque and hp at low rpm has gotten my ass out of a lot of tight places. I think most guys really underestimate the value of torque and HP at low rpm.

I think you've gotten some good advice here...weird their hasn't been more 4stroke bashing.

$6k seems like a decent price considering there is likely more than $20k in it. It's the reason I keep mine, why sell it and have to spend another $10-12k and end up the same place I am now.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a nytro and a m1000 . Rode the nytro once last year , had a track shaft bearing blow up . Changed the bearing and didnt ride it again ( have had it for 3 years ) rode my m the rest of the year , i just always have better days on my two stroke . Easyer to ride which leads to not being sore at the end of the day . Both sleds are modded .

I wont buy anotger 4 stroke , there just to heavy . Ontop of that with equal kms i have had more issues with my nytro than i have with my supposibly un reliable m1000 .

I know what you mean, i came off an RT1000 and it took 2 years of testing and modifying but when it was all done the sled a dream to ride. While the Nytro just like the RT has takin time to adjust too.
There are alot of things that can be done to the Nytro that completely changes its characteristics, Yamaha imo has a very good concept but failed in a number of areas that can be changed to improve the sled.
I also own an M8, basicaly the M1000 is a carbon copy of the M8. I can say ied rather ride my Nytro all day long then the Cat, simply the egonomics of the Nytro are WAY better in every which way. Yes the M is lighter but the old school design dates the M series Cat and its just not nice to ride, seats too low, knees hit the cowl, suspension sucks(and not the bumps).
As for reliability, yes i agree with you the Cats are reliable, imo 2nd on the list next to Yamaha. The other two Poo and Doo, maybe one day they'll get their crap together and build something that doesn't run with a time clock.

There is a learning curve with the 4stroke, not just in riding but in setup, once you know, you'l never ride the M again. Hey your in Princeton, you should visit CR-racing in Kelowna, they've mastered the Nytro's. Chad could help you out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom