4 stroke

bensen

Reaction score
Thinking of trying 4 stroke. 2012 Yamaha 185 turbo kit brand new or 2012 cat 1100 with2.0 high jacker 650 miles. Have 2012 pro rmk now. Just thinking more reliability a few more years use between new. Scared to make the jump.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of trying 4 stroke. 2012 Yamaha 185 turbo kit brand new or 2012 cat 1100 with2.0 high jacker 650 miles. Have 2012 pro rmk now. Just thinking more reliability a few more years use between new. Scared to make the jump.

I hear yea man,Im scared to make the jump to 4stroke too. Might never come back:cool:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2013 M1100T - great sled, but needed a little "tweaking" to get the most out of it. The cat chassis rides and handles better then the Yamaha, but Yamaha's fit & finish is second to none, and the powertrain has proven reliable over the years. Some owners of the Cat report belt issues and chaincase problems. In 642 miles of mountain riding last season, my factory belt is in great shape, but I did replace the chain at 500 miles, as it was stretched badly. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, though...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on riding style. If you like big powder climbs, Chutes and flying over the top at insane amounts of speed there is nothing more fun that'll grabbing a handful of throttle on a turbo 4 stoke. But if tight deep steep trees are your thing stay clear. And no matter what anyone says they aren't built for that. Sure the best of the best can put them there but it takes way more effort for no reault. Reliability is huge too...that's a big selling feature

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the jump 2 years ago and I have no regrets.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run both 2&4 stroke. Both r great. Spend about equal time wrenching on both but the 2 stroke is usually repairs as the 4 stroke is normally just add ons.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on riding style. If you like big powder climbs, Chutes and flying over the top at insane amounts of speed there is nothing more fun that'll grabbing a handful of throttle on a turbo 4 stoke. But if tight deep steep trees are your thing stay clear. And no matter what anyone says they aren't built for that. Sure the best of the best can put them there but it takes way more effort for no reault. Reliability is huge too...that's a big selling feature
Very well said Maxwell, and very true. It does depend on riding style, a 4 stroke's weight isn't that noticeable unless you are riding in tight trees, or when you get it stuck. I won't lie, I'd rather ride a 2 stroke in the bush or in marginal snow conditions, but when breaking trail into the alpine or on super deep days, the fun factor on the 4 stroke negates the additional weight. Rider size & physical condition is a big factor to consider as well - a big guy in good shape will have a much easier time throwing the 4 stroke around then a 160 lb rider.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the reliability but the new skidoo and cat 2 stroke have proven reliable to. I like how much hp you can make with a 4 stroke turbo! But for me I am just not a big enough of a guy to ride a 4 stoke sled! But I never really ever drove one for any length of time.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want the power and the ability to climb were you want too there great. I personally love mine I tree ride with mine as I ride it everywhere it does take a bit more work but with some seat time you'll be able to go where you want. As for wrenching if your 4 stoke is turbo charged or not there's going to be maintanece just like the 2 stroke less the engine part of course. Every sled requires maintenance to be a good runner. My opinion would be get some seat time on one and go play with it or have 2 sleds.

Eric

Last edited:

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a s/c apex lots of fun plus I own a 2011-m8 and what a difference in weight about 200 lbs and at the end of the day u do feel it, but lots of fun on both sleds. I love my m8 but the articat 1100 doesn't have the same milage that the yamahas do so with me I would buy the Yamaha since I no how well it runs. I have compared the difference between a turboed apex and a turboed m8 and I would go with the 2 stroke all day long just because of the weight but on the other side a lot of the stock sleds will get the average rider into a lot of trouble so what do u want or what can u handle. Ive been a Yamaha man for years but u have to turbo them to have them keep up with all the other stock sleds depending on the hp u give it. Plus every one complains how heavy they are when u get stuck I find all sleds heavy when u get them stuck. With my apex all I've had to do is maintance and I have about 4500km which is nothing for a Yamaha but my articat has been great but I have only about 1100 km but I keep my maintance up so I believe it's up to the owner to keep their sleds running well. I kept my apex because I couldn't get anything for it so it's my backup sled now because we are doing more tree riding now and the m8 works real well in the trees but my apex doesn't and like the guy said ealier if your a good rider the apex will do great but if your a average rider I would buy a turboed 2 stroke and have fun. I had my M8's tuned by Kenny at mountain magic and with my son riding his their aren't to many sleds that can go as high as his but he's been on sleds since he was 5 and in the mountains with me since he was 8 and he's 18 now so the rider makes a big difference and like a said ealier a stock sled that's tuned up real well it will give u more than u will need with good reliability. Have fun

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If your looking for reliability, you'll never go back to a 2stroke. No comparison.
I run a 2010 Nytro MTX with a custom 240hp setup. (Boondocker/Impulse) system. 174x2.5 track plus several other goodies. The sled was purchased new and was turboed from day one.
Pushing 5,000kms and she still just as strong as day one.
They are not a friendly sled in low snow conditions, hard pack especialy. But in the steep and deep, hate to say it nothing out there will match them.

Personaly, i wouldn't waste my time with a first stage setup. ie. 185-200hp kits. Go 2nd stage, 240=250hp, alittle more $$ but will make the Nytro perform alot more like a real highpowered turbo.

BTW, i would go with the Nytro over a Cat, the Nytro's make better and easier power. Though the Cats are lighter the Nytro will hands down out perform them.

Last edited:

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your looking for reliability, you'll never go back to a 2stroke. No comparison.
I run a 2010 Nytro MTX with a custom 240hp setup. (Boondocker/Impulse) system. 174x2.5 track plus several other goodies. The sled was purchased new and was turboed from day one.
Pushing 5,000kms and she still just as strong as day one.
They are not a friendly sled in low snow conditions, hard pack especialy. But in the steep and deep, hate to say it nothing out there will match them.

Personaly, i wouldn't waste my time with a first stage setup. ie. 185-200hp kits. Go 2nd stage, 240=250hp, alittle more $$ but will make the Nytro perform alot more like a real highpowered turbo.

BTW, i would go with the Nytro over a Cat, the Nytro's make better and easier power. Though the Cats are lighter the Nytro will hands down out perform them.

Hands down agree with that.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love 4 stroke turbo power and especially the low end torque. Cheap and easy to add big HP. With seat time you learn to boondock with the best, but yes it does take a little more effort. Fun factor is huge. Thought I would be a 2 stroke guy forever. I like the simplicity of a 2 stroke, but they can be finicky when tuned. This 4 stroke has been a blast and with a little tweaking to the setup you can make it a go anywhere, do anything sled. However, if you like really twisty tight tree lines all the time, I think a peaky 2 smoke might be better.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to try a turbo 4 stroke Cat but we ride mostly trees and my '12 RMK800 is so easy to throw around. If I was 20 years younger I'd probably go with the 4 stroke but getting too old and out of shape to wrestle that extra weight all day :D

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 2007 supercharged apex. It has timbersled skid with fox floats and timbersled bark buster a arms with fox floats and a light weight seat and carbon fiber exhaust. What do you guys think about this sled. Any feed back is great.:)

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 2007 supercharged apex. It has timbersled skid with fox floats and timbersled bark buster a arms with fox floats and a light weight seat and carbon fiber exhaust. What do you guys think about this sled. Any feed back is great.:)

How much is this S/C apex?

Top Bottom