4 place enclosed liveable for weekend trips

smash

Reaction score
I am thinking of heating a 4place enclosed and installing roll down bunks so we can stay in it for one or two nights on sledding trips has anyone done this or have ideas on what will work or what won't

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the year a guy could stay if you had your unit set up...the problem you have some staging areas do not want you there overnight...they come in early and clear snow..etc...a couple guys sharing a super 8 and brown bagging it is pretty cheap...there are bunks for enclosed and safe furnaces....they are not cheap though..

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have seen it done, just depends on how comfy u want to rig it up, just dont cheep out on the furnace

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i made a couple of murphy beds, that hinge up against the wall, inflatable mattress, got a full sized barbecue for cooking, and now deciding on propane furnance or wood stove, don't laugh buddy of my put in a glass front fireplace in his trailer looks awesome.

Attachments

• DCP02721.jpg
    DCP02721.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 75

Hylode

Reaction score
Well it's just like camping ! Friends of mine converted an old school bus years ago , and it the sleds stayed @ the top of the bus , the best hill climb of the day just to get them on the top of the bus:perfect10: there would be people waiting at the bottom of the hill just to see the guys load them up, and there was never any rollovers :takesballs: I will talk with him and see if there were any pics taken , we all will get a chuckle out of it !

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have used my cargo trailer for 2 yrs now and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about putting a wood stove in the trailer for hear since a furnace it like 2000

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys must be young...if I dont have a least a 3star bed....I need a wheel chair in the morning.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older RV heater for FREE!!!! but the POS camper has to go with it. It's rough, rough but you could strip out the fridge, heater, and water tank to better outfit your enclosed trailer. I traded this camper for a couple 60 pounders a couple years ago, had dreams of fixin her up but the wife said noway:nono:

smash

Reaction score
I may be taking you up on the offer. I put the idea by my brothers and they think its not possible. NOW ITS PERSONAL. I don't think it will be any cheaper in the long run. But saving on the driving time in and out of some places. hopefully will be able to get more riding time in on those 2day trips to mcbride or radium

smash

Reaction score
I was thinking of pros and cons wood vs propane small wood stove could also be used for cooking but more hassle to keep it warm all day while on the hill. propane is less hassle but then you have to worry about gas issues in the trailer also power to run the furnace anyone have experience hooking up 6v batteries to run a furnace in winter conditions how many would I need?

snowzombie

Reaction score
There are alot of options depends on size of trailer and how warm you want to keep it. not cheap by anymeans though if you want a good forced air furnace and underslung propane tank it gets pricey, another option are the diesel fired heaters. I know of a guy in Red Deer that has done many, if your really seriosly considering the project send me a pm and I will get you a contact number.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a wood stove would heat up a trailer realy quick , in an old abandom building , that me and my friends use to go into and make little rooms for ourr selfs to hang out in, and we made one taht was about as long as a 4 place and we made a lil wood stive and within 10 mnutes of a good burning fire it got pretty toasty!!

slabm7

Reaction score
I was thinking of pros and cons wood vs propane small wood stove could also be used for cooking but more hassle to keep it warm all day while on the hill. propane is less hassle but then you have to worry about gas issues in the trailer also power to run the furnace anyone have experience hooking up 6v batteries to run a furnace in winter conditions how many would I need?

I wouldn't even consider wood if I were you, it would be such a pain in the ass. There is alot of people that use RV furnaces, they are cheap and you can hook them up to a thermostat, a 30,000 btu furnace should keep you warm, depends on how well the trailer is sealed. Find a RV wrecker and get a used furnace from them. Here is a thread on snowest about a guy who just installed one. Pretty straight forward. All you would need would be a Deep cycle 12v battery to run the blower, or hook up a couple batteries in parallel and it should run your furnace blower and a few low wattage lights for a weekend.

Have a look at the thread

Trailer Ducting Install This Weekend - SnoWest Forum

Also do a search on snowest for similar threads, alot of people have done this.

***Also don't forget the Carbon Monoxide/Propane Detector

Last edited:

HILCLMR

Reaction score
You can pick up a RV furnace for $350 ish on ebay, just need minor things for them, thermostat, plumbing, ducting. When mine is done I'll snap some pics.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I met a guy this past weekend that had a diesel marine heater in his two place enclosed. It looked fairly compact and he was complaining about it being too hot (it was only -3C)!

Top Bottom