$300 reward for anyone who can make this part!

nuggetau

Reaction score
I will pay $300 to anyone who can make me a CNC billet 2 piece clamp that is 2 inches wide on the extrusion( full contact on all sides with 2 recessed stainless bolts on each side) that curves out and encloses the steel shaft cap. It must be a close tolerance fit, especially on the steel cap.

I want nothing to do with the current clamps as they do not address the reason the shafts are failing. The shaft has tension on it from multiple sources, track tension, absorbing impacts to the approach angle, sudden braking, etc. Those forces pull back and forth on the center of the shaft which causes the tinniest of separations, these forces are trying to lengthen the shaft which cause the joint to pull apart. Over hundreds of thousands of revolutions that tiny separation gets big enough that the joint binds, combined with the rotational force it then tears out the sidewall of the extrusion.

The current "fix" does absolutely nothing to address the cause of the failure!!! It will extend the time before the extrusion fails, that is all! But in reinforcing the weak tear point(extrusion), you now will just transfer an even greater force somewhere else once the joint gets sloppy enough to fail. More than likely it will be the casting supporting the steel shaft.

There are really only 2 solutions, buy a steel shaft which will cost you $200-500 (if you can find one) or support the joint in the existing shaft so that it can't separate and fail. The existing clamp does not support the joint, it only helps to prolong the tear out.

My offer is genuine, if you can make a close tolerance clamp as I described I will buy it! This $300 fix would be cheaper and easier that trying to find a steel shaft with the right drivers, bearings, and that has little run out which could cause problems with the Quick drive.
progress.gif

Tyson.H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THERE IS A REASON PEOPLE ARENT BUILDING THESE. Your not the only one to come up with this but machining a 2 inch thick clamp with edges to hold the end of the shaft would cost to much. You need a extended length endmill to finish. 2" aluminum flat bar and probably 30 min a peace for machining. So this clamp would cost 350 for 2 at least if someone where to make a run of at least 50 so its just not worth it. Pay for cost of aluminum, tooling, and time and ill build you 50. Probably going to be around 160 a peace so the 300 is pretty far off for some guy owning a machine shop to take a $8000 gamble.

Just my 2 cents, its like every trade, everyone think they can do it and for cheep. No one thinks about the $150 thousand machine there using. But ya $300 should cover cost.:nono:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THERE IS A REASON PEOPLE ARENT BUILDING THESE. Your not the only one to come up with this but machining a 2 inch thick clamp with edges to hold the end of the shaft would cost to much. You need a extended length endmill to finish. 2" aluminum flat bar and probably 30 min a peace for machining. So this clamp would cost 350 for 2 at least if someone where to make a run of at least 50 so its just not worth it. Pay for cost of aluminum, tooling, and time and ill build you 50. Probably going to be around 160 a peace so the 300 is pretty far off for some guy owning a machine shop to take a $8000 gamble.

Just my 2 cents, its like every trade, everyone think they can do it and for cheep. No one thinks about the $150 thousand machine there using. But ya $300 should cover cost.:nono:

Something else to take into consideration Tyson. You could invest all this into this guys idea and Polaris could come up with the fix asap. Then your left holding the bag. Your right. Treat it like a business. If the guy wants the stuff,then he should prepay and your shop can build them for him.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends if your machine is working 24/7 or sitting idle..
an idle machine is not worth much but a busy machine is priceless...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh the one that Tyson.H makes is too available and affordable? What a shame.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
based on how many posts this EPIC TROLLER has, my guess that he still lives with his mom....right SNOPRO?

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oops...meant to add that Polaris better step up here....they appear to have eff'd it up in one year....

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but the clamp that Tyson is putting out if placed properly will help a lot. I however am not convinced that this is a design issue as much as an assembly issue. This shaft has two years of testing, they did not dream this thing up and stick it in the 2013 overnight. I think if you have one that is not glued properly the clamp will prevent the failure or at least prolong it for a very long time. If you have one that is glued properly I don't see it being an issue. The scary thing is not knowing if yours is glued properly or NOT. I am trying to get at least 100 miles on mine at home before I get to the mountains with it but even then it will always be in the back of my head. I have not picked one up yet but I am thinking if I make it past 100 miles and it is still holding the clamp will be going on just for peace of mind.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but the clamp that Tyson is putting out if placed properly will help a lot. I however am not convinced that this is a design issue as much as an assembly issue. This shaft has two years of testing, they did not dream this thing up and stick it in the 2013 overnight. I think if you have one that is not glued properly the clamp will prevent the failure or at least prolong it for a very long time. If you have one that is glued properly I don't see it being an issue. The scary thing is not knowing if yours is glued properly or NOT. I am trying to get at least 100 miles on mine at home before I get to the mountains with it but even then it will always be in the back of my head. I have not picked one up yet but I am thinking if I make it past 100 miles and it is still holding the clamp will be going on just for peace of mind.
where did you get the information about 2 years of testing? I have yet to see that anywhere, even the 2013 demos paraded around and ridden by potential customers had 2012 steel hydroformed shafts.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where did you get the information about 2 years of testing? I have yet to see that anywhere, even the 2013 demos paraded around and ridden by potential customers had 2012 steel hydroformed shafts.

A little birdie told me :) but I trust that little birdie so I have to say it's true. Now like many things in life, testing by the factory and consumer testing are very different, NO ONE can abuse stuff like the owners :) Take the video of the guy testing his can and the sled drops on the grass with the throttle WFO. Thats some serious shock load, I wonder if his shaft failed hmmmm. Anybody know that guy? That being said, some of these shafts are failing with very low miles and I can bet that these guys are not abusing them so my theory is if the glue is not right it's going to fail no matter how easy you drive it. The sad part is how the heck do you know if you have a good one or not unless you go ride the thing at home and not everyone has that option :( Makes my head spin. Need to make a test jig that the shaft can be mounted in an load tested then I will feel better.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or buy the 70$ clamps. Is absolute bs that they need to be 2" wide. If this shaft was in fact designed to last and is just a poor bonding issue then they are all you need. If the surface of the end cap was more than a half inch then yes maybe the clamps would need to be wider but guess what everyone's theory is that te shaft is designed properly it is just a bonding issue. If that's true the clamps will overcome the bonding issue and they don't need to be 2" wide.

Last edited:

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or buy the 70$ clamps. Is absolute bs that they need to be 2" wide. If this shaft was in fact designed to last and is just a poor bonding issue then they are all you need. If the surface of the end cap was more than a half inch then yes maybe the clamps would need to be wider but guess what everyone's theory is that te shaft is designed properly it is just a bonding issue. If that's true the clamps will overcome the bonding issue and they don't need to be 2" wide.

I agree and I am only riding mine because I have to chance to put some miles on at home first. Even if it holds up I think the clamp will make me feel better but I want to see if it's going to take some torque first lol. Don't think I will go to the hills without one, it sure can't hurt anything that I can see.

nuggetau

Reaction score
I have no desire to create any drama with you. I just think your product and the other 2 don't address the problem. None of the existing clamps do anything to stabilize the joint, and that is where the problem starts.

As for the cost of making what I described, yes it is unlikely anyone would want to build a one off for what I offered. I have however found someone with a very sophisticated cnc shop that has agreed to make what I wanted for a very reasonable price, and I will be distributing them for him. I don't have any motives to make much money, just make something that actually addresses the problem so we can all go riding this winter. We will also be selling quick drive installation studs, as poo is back ordered. No pricing is set yet, hope to have the prototype done today or tomorrow.

outbackmfg.com in Bend Oregon will be manufacturing the parts for us. Have a look at their website, a very impressive facility. Please don't contact Outback(unless you have another project you want to discuss with them), they will not be distributing the parts. Thanks

Last edited:

1mcatman

Reaction score
I agree with ya Maxwell. I own a 13 Pro and it hasnt seen snow yet. Due to the fact that we have none yet. My .02 is that poo has the 12 shaft being mass produced to cover recall and when they get enough of them made us 13 Pro owners will get a recall. the weight diff is not going to play a factor in the belt drive IMHO. I bought fix from Chris and Tyson for now but wont be diong Backcountry till i get a new shaft..

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not going into the back country will save a bummed trip, but riding around home to provide info wether your shaft is a good one or not before you go to the hills is sad. It will see more punishment on the way to the clemina cabin in the ungroomed whoops then all weekend in fields and ditches. Install the clamp to assist saving it either way and hope polaris steps up for once, waiting for warranties to go off and having to buy the fix kit to get a reliable sled kept me from owning one over the years. Unfortunatly all brands have their gremlins

Top Bottom