28 MSTs on 12" Rims.... Your thoughts.

redeye

Reaction score
I was initially searching for some 27" XTRs for my 08 Sportsman 800 and came across a set of 28" MSTs now Im not sure which ones to go with.

I want a tire that will perform in the mud when needed but we do alot of trail riding as a family as well.

Will 28s give me too much sidewall on a 12" rim?
Can I expect to lose and significant amount of power going to the 28s?

If a clutch kit is the answer, fine. Not interested in lift kit or spacers.

Your thoughts/experience...

redeye

Reaction score
Beginning to thinking that a set of Zillas might be the answer.

The never ending debate on tires continues.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ve got 27 inch Mudbugs on my unit and I still have lots of power to spin them when neccessary. I am at the limit of my current axles as to going up a size I think. I don't have power steering, wish I did though cuz I also have spacers to move the tires out so that they don't rub. It does take a bit of grunt to turn the quad.

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I have 26 inch MST's on my Honda 500 Rubicon. They are heavier than most tires, but they perform quite well. I quad in snow, mud and rocky trails, and find them to be a great all around tire. I've got 1800 miles on them and they still have lots of meat on them. The trade off for these is they take more jam to make them spin, but I find I am still way ahead of the game because they can get me thru almost anything. They are also a smooth ride because they aren't a dedicated mud tire. I will be buying these again when they eventually wear out. As far as sidewall goes, I haven't noticed any difference on 26's. In fact, we had 4 tires blow beads on seperate quads this spring, and the only ones that survived unscathed were quads with MST's... may just have been good luck though. I'm very happy with em.

Top Bottom