253 belt on 08 xp 800

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
Bought a used 08 with low miles, The dealer had replaced the 166 belts with 253, I bought a 377 to put on as I have put on a DJ kit and ramps, New springs, 09 Primary cap, and all bushings as well as hi-tourqer secondary rollers and venting. I am hesitant to go buy my spare 377 belt as both of the 253 belts that came with it are in good shape but i never hear any mention of that belt # any where. is any one using this belt?

jimxp

Reaction score
ya the 08 had some real issues with belts and clutchs, the biggest problem is the heat! if your sled is well vented you belt will last. i think the 377 lasted the longest for me, and i always had 2 spares with me just in case

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 253 is not as wide and just about the same length. The ideal belt width for the XP is 1.5" (38.3mm)

It is a softer compound belt as well. I would run them, just check the belt for heat issues after you run it for a bit.

Aside from the compund you would be splitting hairs on the size and the degrees on the cog are a little different.

Attachments

• belt chart.jpg
    belt chart.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 158

toml

Reaction score
I'd run what DJ suggests. The 377 is a good belt, the width will give you longer life, and it seems to be a snappier compound. Just use the one new one, and keep a 253 for a spare. As the 377 wears, get a new one and demote the old 377 to a spare. Dont forget to wash the new belt with some dish soap before you put it on!

toml

Reaction score
New doo belts have a coating on them for storage. A mild dish soap will remove it so it doesnt end up on your clutches

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that and give it a few km's of break in time. Don't install the belt and hammer on the throttle.

I've never seen ill effects of not washing the belt and breaking it in, but its never hurt it either.

As soon as you break it in, double check the deflection to make sure you are running at the correct height.

Top Bottom